FAQs for Engineering Migrants to Australia

Engineers – Before asking your question or posting a comment please check this section to ensure your question has not already been answered.


Q 1.

How can I get more detailed information regarding the assessment process, application procedure and a sample of engineering CDR as a guide and reference?

A 1.

You need to read   , which is available online from the booklets section of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)  page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)   website provides more detailed descriptions of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook  provides specific details on assessment requirements, competency demonstration reports (CDRs), and the format and length of the career episode reports (CERs). Read this from cover to cover before you start writing.

Go to the Qualifications Assessment  page on the tribus lingua blog for information on CDR writing.

Q 2.

Do you know any websites or other sources where overseas engineers will be able to improve their professional and informal English language?

A 2.

Attend activities run by engineering organisations. A good starting point is the Engineers Australia divisions, colleges and special interest group events. These are advertised on their web site. Most are open to the genral public. There are a also a wide range of specialist engineering organisatios such as the IChemE. You will find references to these organisations on the Engineers Australia  website.

The Australia Broadcasting Commission (the ABC)   website provides a wide range of videos and podcasts you can download. Engineers Australia also has a range of podcasts available from their technical events

Project Australia – Land that Engineering Job in Australia  provides further details and advice on internet searching techniques to find engineering organisations and finding general and technical video and podcasts.

Q 3.

I have done my undergraduate degree in Pakistan in 2005. Previously I completed my Associate Diploma (3years). I have more than 8 years work experience after completing my diploma. How do I choose the category of either professional engineer or engineering associate?

A 3.

If your undergraduate degree is equivalent to a 4 year Australian engineering degree, you should apply as a professional engineer. You will need to do a competency demonstration report (CDR) with 3 career episodes. If Engineers Australia do not accept your qualification or CDR as equivalent to a professional engineer they will advise you of the recognition level as an engineering technologist or engineering associate. The levels are explained in Section A.2 of the Migration Skills Assessment booklet available from the Engineers Australia website.

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)  page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.
Once you have selected your occupation code you need to go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)  website to obtain a fuller description of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

Q 4.

Please tell the ideal requirements of preparing a CDR in terms of number of words and/or pages per episode.

A 4.

The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on the format and length of the career episode reports. Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia  website.

As a guide, each CER should be made up of:

Introduction: 50 words
Background: 200 – 500 words
Personal engineering activity: 500 – 1000 words
Summary: 50 – 100 words

Q 5.

How should the continuing professional development be presented? What do they mean by testamur?

A 5.

The continuing professional development (CPD) is only a list of courses, training, professional engineering events and self learning activities you have done since completing your engineering undergraduate course. A three column table would be a simple way to present this information with the date, the activity and the number of hours of CPD you are claiming for each activity.

A testamur is a certificate or official letter which is official evidence of having completed a course or training. Your university degree is an example testamur.

Q 6.

My IELTS scores are L= 6 , R=6 , W=5.5 and speaking 6.5 ( Academic ) with an average of 6, can I apply for qualification assessment of not?

A 6.

An average is not good enough. You did not pass the test. You must have 6 or more in all categories. So you will have to repeat the test within two years of the original test and get 6 or more in the writing segment.

Q 7.

Do I need to submit my IELTS score while applying for skill assessment or can I arrange to report my score after applying for skill assessment. There are two types of IELTS tests (Academic and General ). Which one of these should I take?

A 7.

You must include an original English language test (IELTS) result with your application. You must arrange for this to be forwarded directly to Engineers Australia from the Test Centre.

Unless you are planning to go into teaching, you only need the general test.

Here is an extract from the IELTS handbook.

“The Academic Module assesses whether a candidate is ready to study or train in the medium of English at an undergraduate or postgraduate level. Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses should be based on the results of this module.

The General Training Module emphasises basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context. General Training is suitable for candidates who are going to English-speaking countries to complete their secondary education, to undertake work experience or training programmes not at degree level, or for immigration purposes to Australia, Canada and New Zealand. The General Training Module is not offered at all test administrations.”

You can get more information from the IELTS  website.

Q 8.

I am the secondary applicant to my wife’s visa application, I would like to know whether my skills need to be assessed or do I need to take any kind of licence in order to work in Australia?

A 8.

You will not need a licence to practice in Australia. In Queensland and in certain industries, such as the building industry, you will need to be registered if you are to take responsibility and approve designs.

It will greatly help your chances of getting a job if you have your qualifications assessed by Engineers Australia. Australian employers are worried about the quality of qualifications from some overseas countries. If you can show Engineers Australia accreditation, it removes that concern.

Q 9.

I have passed BE(Mechanical) in 1999. I have worked as a lecturer from since then in an engineering college. I will complete a masters degree in engineering in three months. Can I apply for general skill migration?

A 9.

University lecturers are not on the migration occupations in demand list (MODL) or any other lists. As you have no engineering experience you will struggle to convince assessors you are an engineer; they will see you as a lecturer. Even if you did manage to get a visa, how would you get a job in the current climate? Effectively you are an old graduate competing against Australians with good English.

Q 10.

If I applied for assessment as a professional engineer and they granted me a lower level, is it possible after arriving to Australia to change the category? I plan to obtain a master degree in a relevant field, would that count?

A 10.

If you migrate as a technologist you can be reassessed in Australia. It may not be necessary to do more study to obtain professional engineer accreditation. With better work experience you could write better career episode reports and obtain accreditation as a professional engineer. Do not pay to do more study without being certain of how it will help you.

Q 11.

I have a South African qualification. Will my qualification is recognised in Australia and in the U.S.A. as well?

A 11.

South Africa is a signatory to the Washington Accord, along with Australia, the USA and several other countries.

This means there is mutual recognition of approved engineering courses between these countries. By going to the Washington Accord website you will be able to check if your course is recognised as being at engineer level by the Washington Accord. You need to visit this site and look up your specific institute and course.

If your course is not recognised at professional engineer level, it may be recognised at associate professional level under the Sydney Accord. You can look this up from the Washington Accord  website. The USA is only a provisional signatory to the Sydney Accord.

Q 12.

I have completed my engineering degree in India and I don’t have any work experience. Can my engineering degree in be accredited in Australia?

A 12.

As your course will not qualify under the Washington Accord you will have to write a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR). Some of the career episodes for your CDR can be based on your university course. This could include projects during the course, summer projects and work experience units. In theory it is possible to be accredited without work experience; in practice it will be difficult.

Q 13.

I completed my undergraduate degree in India and am completing a dual degree at an Australian university. Can I be assessed n my Australian engineering qualification. I do not have any past experience related to my field.

A 13.

If your current studies give you an Australian undergraduate engineering qualification, this will be recognised.

For migration purpose your undergraduate qualification is assessed. You cannot use post graduate qualifications obtained in Australia (post grad. diplomas, masters, or PhDs) for qualifications assessment.

For accreditation of your overseas qualification (not Washington Accord ) you will need to prepare a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR), comprising three career episodes.

Q 14.

I have finished my two years master degree in SAP along with information technology. Is this course come on the MODL list? if yes, what are the other requirements for assessment?

A 14.

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has a Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)  page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation.

You come under the ASCO classification 2231-79 Computer professional (nec). nec = not elsewhere classified. If you go to the occupations in demand list (MODL) you will see SAP programmers listed.

Go to the Australia Computer Society  site to see the assessment criteria in the ACS Guidelines.

ACS can only determine MODL occupations from professional ICT experience.

So they will not consider you for SAP, based on your study alone. You need to have you qualifications assessed by ACS and have 4 years relevant experience.

Q 15.

I am graduate in Computer Science & Engineering. I have 2 years
of work experience and currently doing a job as a software engineer.
I want to apply for a PR visa in Australia.

A 15.

First thing you have to work out is what occupation classification you want to apply as, an engineer or a computing professional. Computing professionals are treated differently to engineers. There is a 4 year experience requirement for computing professionals with an ICT degree. There is no work experience required generally for engineers.

You do not meet the requirements for an computing professional. You can verify this from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship  website.

As a software engineer you will be considered a computing professional, in the not included elsewhere (nec) category rather than an engineer. Software engineers are not listed on Australia’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
Have a look through all the categories on the SOL list and select one that you qualify for (you may be able to choose one that best meets your needs for immigration purposes). Once you have selected an occupational category, go to the ‘How to have your skills recognised in Australia’ and see the requirements under skill level.

The Australian Computer Society  assesses computing professionals. Have a look at a diagram at the back of their migration assessment handbook. This illustrates the overlap of engineering and computing professions.

Skip to comment form »

  1. Rick said on May 10, 2009 at 12:53 am

    I did my Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering at an Australian university, and it was certified as Electronic Engineer by Engineer Australia. I have been working as a graduate project engineer in Australia for a year now. Can I use this one year experience to apply PR? I have been working under Electrical, Mechanical and Civil teams in this company.

  2. ianlittle said on May 10, 2009 at 1:00 am

    Rick – Your Australian degree is an accredited qualification. For a general skilled migration visa there is no work experience requirement for engineers.

  3. Rick said on May 11, 2009 at 8:13 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    Thank you so much for your reply.

    My case is that I am applying 885 skill migrant visa, and I currently have 105 points only (60 – engineering, 30 – age, 15 – IELTS over 6.0)
    Therefore, I need another 15 points. I am noticed that for occupation in MODL list, I can get another 15 points for work experience.

    Do you think if my experience as project engineer is countable for this 15 points?

    Thank you so much for your time.


  4. ianlittle said on May 11, 2009 at 9:36 pm

    Rick – Only a migration agent can answer questions related to visas

  5. Vman said on May 17, 2009 at 1:44 am

    Hey Ian,

    Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these queries on this forum. I hold an Indian passport, have a Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engg from India, a Master’s in Mechanical Engineering and to top things off another Master’s in Aerospace Engineering. The two master’s level degrees are from the US (where I currently work and reside) and about 3 years of work experience encompasses medical device design, project management, machine tool design and aerospace component design.

    My wife and I have decided to immigrate to Australia given that there seems to be a demand for our skills (she’s a Medical doctor with an Indian education), and it takes forever in the US to settle down (get a Green Card). I do not see any issue with the application process, I feel confident I should qualify and get through on the skilled immigrant program quite easily.

    However, I am struggling to get a clear picture of the variety of jobs for Mechanical Engineers in Australia. Pretty much all the jobs on SEEK have to do with construction or mining. Can you shed some light on the kind of jobs a Mechanical Engineer would typically do in Australia and in which parts of the country.

    Thanks a bunch.

  6. ianlittle said on May 17, 2009 at 4:17 am

    Vman – As with the rest of the world there is a big turn down in business activity.There are not a lot of jobs around today, but there should be by the time you get through the qualifications and assessnebt process. (about 18 months) Australia is a small country and evryone in engineering knows just about everyone in engineering. it is similar for most other professions. Only about 30% or so of the jobs available are advertised in the media. Probably less in this current climate. All the major companies requiring people advertise on their company web sites. On many of these you can register so that if a vacancy comes up for your skills you name automatically goes onto the hat. This another 30% or so. The remaining 30% or so are filled by internal company advertising and promotions plus recommendations from people in the company. (If you do the sums you will see that 3x(or so) = 10%) All this makes it very hard for migrants to find jobs. Particularly from outside the company.
    In Project Australia I provide a lot of advice on how to find the employers and approach them. There iwill be a wide range of mechanical engineering opportunities in engineering consultancies and the util;ities and manufacturing industries.
    On qualification assessment; your wife may have a lot of problems getting recognition of her medical qualifications. You will be assessed on your undergraduate qualifications, so will need to do a CDR. – Do not underestimate the processes required.

  7. James Marr said on May 20, 2009 at 2:50 am


    I graduated in Industrial Product design which was a Deign/engineering based Degree. I have worked for the last two years as a Water Engineer. I was thinking of going to Work in Australia and was wondering if my degree which is a (BSc) combine with my experience if I would be able to obtain a engineering job/ be considered a engineer.

  8. ianlittle said on May 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm

    James – If you read the references from Q 1. the answer should be obvious to you.

  9. dmahambrey said on May 21, 2009 at 3:52 am

    i am a mechanical engineer from India, who later joined merchant navy and later acquired class 1 and 2 certificate from AMSA. I also have an Grad dip in maritime management and an MBA from AMC. My question is can i get my Be(Mech) accredited from IEAUST because as i understand when i was in australi they had some notion that marine engineers is specialisation or a seperate, whereas its a common knowledge that the ships all kinds were first run by nonengineers and then came mechanical engineers and then specialisation marine engineers.

  10. ianlittle said on May 21, 2009 at 5:27 pm

    dmahambrey – I would not like your chances of obtaining professional engineer accreditation. You need to do a CDR. Your problem is that your merchant navy experience is not likely to be considered as professional engineering work. Have a good look at the professional engineering competencies in the Migration Skills Assessment Handbook. Ships engineers are tradesmen (fitters and turners). Another problem is that marine engineers are not listed on any of the skills in need in Australia. The occupation to fit you is probably engineer – naval architect, ASCO code 2129-21
    Getting your qualifications accepted is only the first. Applying for a visa is a totally separate and unconnected exercise.

  11. Imran2K said on May 27, 2009 at 7:03 am


    I have BEng (Hons) in Automotive Engineering (this is fundamentally identical to Machanical Engineering; only difference being the non-compulsory subjects are automotive related). Mydegree was awarded by a UK univeristy and i am a member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) in the UK, the IMechE is registered in the Washington Accord. Can anyone please tell me or share their opinion whether it is possible for me to apply under the Skilled Migrant Programme as a Mechanical Engineer ASCO 2126-11? I also have about 2.5 years work experience for a major Automotive manufacturer as a Engineer. Any advicewould be highly appreciated.

  12. ianlittle said on May 27, 2009 at 7:50 am

    Imran2K – If you go to the wasshington Accord site yopu should be able to find your course by university and year to confirm it is accepted. I would be amazed if it wasn’t. The ASCO codes are broad occupation categories. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website provides more detailed descriptions of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.


    No automotive engineer though ! I would apply as a mechanical engineer, It is an occupation on the critical skills list. Getting a job may be a challenge in the current climate.

  13. Dave said on May 29, 2009 at 12:16 pm


    I am a recent South African migrant with a degree in Civil Engineering which has been accredited by Engineers Australia. I am a member of the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE), and registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA), with up-to-date CPD activities. I have been in practice since 1982.

    Although South Africa is a signatory to the Washington Accord, it is not listed on the Engineers Australia website as a country with Mutual Recognition Agreements for professional registration.

    1. What do I need to do to obtain/transfer my professional registration as an engineer in Queensland?

    2. Which of the following do I need to apply for (i.e. as mandatory or pre-condition for any of the others)?
    – Chartered Engineer status
    – Board of Professional Engineers registration
    – Membership of Engineers Australia



  14. ianlittle said on May 29, 2009 at 2:17 pm

    Dave – The only compulsory requirement is the RPEQ if you are working in Queensland. You can apply for Queensland registraion through Engineers Australia. Although the web site information is not all that clear it looks like you can achieve all three in one application bydoing this.

  15. praveen said on June 21, 2009 at 9:21 am

    I have completed 2 years of engineering in India, is it possible to complete the rest of the course in australia… if so could you please help me out on that. thank you.

  16. ianlittle said on June 21, 2009 at 9:04 pm

    Praveen – You would have to apply to an Australian university. If you go to the Engineers Australia website you can obtain a list of accredited engineering course in Australia..

  17. Waqas said on July 5, 2009 at 3:02 am

    I have done Bachelors of computer Engineer, its a pure engineering program with IT courses also. Program is accrediated with Local Engineering Councils. Now I am working as software engineer. I have almost 2 year experience, Should i go to ACS or Engineer Australia. I know that i dont have 4 years exp for ACS. But have Enigneering degree to satisfy Engineer Australia. Can I apply for PR in Australia?

  18. ianlittle said on July 5, 2009 at 6:38 pm

    Wagas – You are a software engineer and your occupation will be assessed by the ACS. For Australian immigration you will be seen as a computer professionall. Go to the Australian Skills Recognition Information(ASRI) site and look for your occupation and the assessing authority. I do not see there is any way you could satisfy competencies to be accredited by Engineers Austraolia. I am afraid you will need to wait two more years. Not all people who call themselves engineers are assessed by Engineeers Australia.

  19. anil said on July 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm

    hi, i have PR of oz through family visa.I am an elctronics engineer graduate from
    India with no experience.I want to know what are the scope of jobs for electronics engineer in australia.I have obtained ielts score 7. In order to get good job what should i do,should i apply for job or i should apply in university for enhancing my skills like doing masters degree course.As i have PR through family visa please tell me that whether i should apply for migration assessment under Engineer Australia also prepare CDR in order get job.

  20. ianlittle said on July 7, 2009 at 9:01 pm

    Anil – For starters act like a professional. Use capital letters when you write. The most important thing you can do to get a job as an engineer is to be working. I would not recommend doing a Masters degree until you have worked and know that what you learn will be directly valuable to an employer. Buy a copy of Project Australia and learn how to get a job in Australia. Go to the Engineers Australia website and you can see how to apply for recognition of an overseas qualification from within Australia.

  21. Harry said on July 9, 2009 at 12:32 am

    I have a 4 year Bachelors-Civil Engineering Degree from india. I have 6 years of experience as a civil engineer in USA alongwith a Professional Engineering License of USA. I understand I won’t be qualified under Washington Accord program, but my question is even though I don’t have much management experience can I still prepare for Professional CDR, considering I have Professional engineering license?
    Also, I have given TOEFL few months ago, can I use that as a substitute to IELTS?

  22. ianlittle said on July 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm

    Harry the Indian – You do not have to have management experience to become accredtied as a professional engineer. You do need to demonstrate management skills to manage yourself in an engineering context. The stage 1 competency level is equal to an Australian graduate. They have no management experience. In your CDRs you have to demonstrate the professional engineer competencies which are listed in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. Your license is really of no value in the accreditation process, similarly your TOEFL. I can see no reference to alternatives to IELTS in the EA booklet.

  23. Chandrasekar said on August 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm

    I did my BE civil from india and have around 10 yrs experience in construction industry.Now i am looking for PR to Australia.But india is in provisional staus of washington accord got june 2007.How long it will take to convert as signatory status .Basically span of 2 yrs required for the process.Let me know any idea about the same.
    Thanks in advance

  24. ianlittle said on August 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm

    Chandra – I have no idea. As accreditation of your qualifications is the first step, I would bite the bullet and start working on a CDR.

  25. Mazhar Hussain said on August 5, 2009 at 2:29 pm

    I have done B.E Telecom Engineering from Mehran University of Engineering & technology Jamshoro,SIndh,Pakistan.I wanna work in Austrailia as Telecom Engineer, so can u guide me about this process & requirments for immigration, will there be any experience needed for immigration.plz Tell me as soon as possible.

  26. ianlittle said on August 5, 2009 at 6:28 pm

    Mazhar – Got to our FAQ page and follow the links.

  27. Felix said on August 6, 2009 at 12:29 pm

    I’m Civil engineering degree and have Australian PR (6 months ago), recently my diploma approved by “Qualification and Experience recognized by Queensland Department of Education, Training, and Arts”. Knowing that’s not enough, I’m preparing CDR to get recognition as Engineering in Australia.

    What should I do beside preparing a CDR? Should I get an experience through apprencticeship/training/graduate ?

    Because when I’m applying many times looking for a job, they said I don’t have an experience of working in Australia. Once I apply for graduate but I’m not qualified because my degree was over than 3 years.

  28. ianlittle said on August 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm

    Felix – You have to show you really understand how your experience relates to Australia. You need to be able to answer any questions from doubters – and there are many. The first thing is to get you qualifications accredited by Engineers Australia. Follow this link for details.

    Learn as much as you can about civil engineering in Australia. Go to Municipal Council web sites and you can find out all the local government rules relating to roads and drainage. You can join Engineers Australia at no cost (until your qualifications are accredited) Go to their functions and meet engineers and learn more about what is going on. Get a copy of the Australian standards that are most important to the type of work you do. You can see copies of draft and superseded standards for free. From this you will then be able to relate your experience and training to what happens in Australia. For example : you may have worked with international concrete codes which are either used directly by australian companies, or from which all or parts of Australian standards are based. You must be able to answer the challenge of no Australian experience by showing you understand hhow your experience relates to Australian standards and conditions. Steel is steel and concrete is concrete and water flows the same in drains around the world.

    Go to government sites and learn the Work Safety laws and regulations. Understand the Austraian approach and terms used.

    I don’t think more courses is the answer. Improve your English by reading technical articles relating to your occupation. You probably have to start again, possibly through a drafting job to get into an engineering office. Try to get work in a company that employs engineers. Get a copy of Project Australia so you are better prepared for interviews and work in Australia.

  29. Pratik said on August 10, 2009 at 9:50 pm

    Very nice to see your feedbacka nd comments.
    I am Chemical engineer from India having Australian PR and currently working in Saudi Arabia as Production planner.Can you please advise me how to secure job from Saudi Arabia before landing there?

  30. ianlittle said on August 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm

    Pratik – There are many things yiu can do, like network with Australians working in Saudi Arabia. There are so many things to do they do not fit in a blog. Buy Project Australia and see the lot.

  31. anjum said on August 12, 2009 at 5:30 am

    Hey Ian,

    Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these queries on this forum. I hold an Pakistani passport, have a Bachelor’s in Chemical Engg from Pakistan, a Master’s in Process Engineering but not completed yet due to transfer in Dubai for job i completed theoritical work only remaining is thesis work, my question is can i mention Master engineering also in CDR,I have experience 3.5 years in process and project management,

  32. ianlittle said on August 12, 2009 at 5:49 pm

    Anjum – From the work you have done towards you Masters you should be able to demonstrate a range of the required engineering competencies. Writing a CDR is about demonstrating engineering competencies. This has nothing to do with years of experience or job titles. You must write about how you have gone about engineering tasks as defined by the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. From the Masters work you should have analysis, research, calculation, planning and similar engineering competencies.

  33. benoit said on August 12, 2009 at 6:05 pm

    Dear Ian,

    it is my understanding that documents required for the Australian Migration Assessment as engineer should have an English language translation carried out by “an authorised translator” when they re not originally in English.

    Would you know what they exactly mean by “authorised” ? I m currently working in China as a French citizen and i m having issues finding an “official” translator French to English, i contacted some professional French-English translators here but they re not recognized by the Chinese Governement or have official status here. Can i consider them as “authorized”? I know i could go through some official translators in Australia like NAATI but it does not seem compulsory either since it s not mentioned or detailed in the booklet. Could you advise me?

    Thank you very much

  34. ianlittle said on August 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm

    Benoit – I would ask Engineers Australi ditectly on their email facility. Likely sources are universities (with English and/or French schools and embassies, either the French, Australian or another English speaking country.

  35. Srini said on August 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm

    Halla Ian,

    I am a civil engineer from India and also I did my graduate diploma in construction management + 2 yrs experience in Kuwait. I got the recognition from the EA as a professional engineer and I have logded my PR application under GSM VE175 this month.

    I hope i shall get my visa with in 8-9 months and i have some points to be clarified

    1) I want to do my MBA there, can you suggest the best field of management in local demand and a Business School.
    2) What are the factor that are important to be considered to start an engineering career in australia

    Thank you for your support and patience


  36. ianlittle said on August 13, 2009 at 8:00 pm

    Srini – Concentrate on getting a job and getting yourself established in Australia. Do no take on additional qualifications until you are sure it will increase your value to an Australian employer. Australians do not put the same value on higher degrees as Indians do. To Australians it is more important to demonstrate value in the workplace. What you can do is more important than qualifications.
    To get started make sure your English is good. IELTS 6 is an absolute minimum. You should aim to be well over IELTS 7. Learn the Australian standards that apply to your discipline. Make sure you can explain how your qualifications and experience relate to Australian standards.

    There is a lot more about this in Project Australia. it’s a great investment.

  37. Saon said on August 27, 2009 at 6:46 pm

    Hi Ian,
    I’ve applied under GSM 175 and planning to move to Australia by Mid 2010. I’m a telecom engg from Bangladesh & have 4.5+ years of job experience in this field.
    1. A job or a research degree; which one would be better to start?
    2. Which city is best of migrants considering living expense, food, transportation etc and telecom job opportunity as well.
    3. Does Engineers’ Australia’s assessment (CDR reply) help migrants getting a job? If not, then in which case it helps?

    Thanks in advance for your co-operation.


  38. ianlittle said on August 27, 2009 at 7:20 pm

    Saon – Get a job. This will enable you to work out the best area to specialise in so your reaseearch makes you more valuable to an Australian employer. Having your qualifications accredited by Engineers Australia will make it easier to get a job. It takes any doubt Australians will have about your qualifications.

  39. Nuri said on August 31, 2009 at 3:10 am

    I have got positive assessment result from Engineers Australia as a Professional Civil Engineer and I got Victorian State Skilled Sponsored Visa. I have some points to clarify as follows:
    1. To work in Victoria, what kind of license do I need? As I know, for building industry, it is asked to have license from Building Comission?how can I apply for this license from overseas?
    2. How can I apply Engineers Australia membership from overseas after getting positive assesment?i.e. is positive assessment sufficient for membership?

  40. ianlittle said on August 31, 2009 at 5:29 pm

    Nuri – You do not need a licence to practice general engineering in Victoria. You only need to be licensed as a building practioner if you are in the building construction sector. You can see all about this on the Building Commission site.
    To apply for Engineers Australi membership go to their website and get the application forms. You need to be nominated by a member, so it may not be easy from overseas. It is not essential to become a member before you get a job. Positive assessment will get you to stage 1 membership, the level of a graduate. You need to do a stage 2 assessment to become a chartered engineeer (CPEng). You need at least three years experience to reach that level. Go to the LiveinVictoria site and get hold of the workbook for engineers Working in Victoria an Engineers Guide.

  41. Kiran said on September 1, 2009 at 2:23 am

    I have a bachelors and electronics and instrumentation engineering from India. And i have finished masters of Petroleum engineering in Australia….

    Is the skills assessment solely based on the bachelors degree??

    Can i include the project done for my masters degree in the CDR?

    Could you please help me with these queries?


  42. ianlittle said on September 1, 2009 at 5:02 pm

    Kiran – For general skilled migration the steps are: select an occupation, get your qualifications assessed for that occupation, then apply for a visa for that occupation. If you do not have an accredtied undergraduate qualification, an Australian engineering degree or through the Washington Accord, you must do a CDR. Sorry, you knew that. Your masters degree gives you a couple of issues – what is your nominated occupation going to be ? and how is the study relevant to that occupation if you chosose electronic engineering. Assessment is based on your CDR for your chosen occupation. the qualifcation the engineering assessors consider is your undergraduate degree. Your masters project will only help if it is directly related to the competencies of an electronics engineer: this could include process control.
    You have to be consistent in qualification assessment, occupation and the only work experience that counts is work experience relevant to your chosen occupation.

  43. Kiran said on September 1, 2009 at 7:19 pm

    Hi .thanks for the reply….

    So if i nominate Electronics engineering as occupation and get a positive assessment,i need to apply for PR for tat nominated occupation.is it?

    Is there any issue because of my masters degree in petroleum engineering when i apply for PR?I dont have any work experience and I am going to apply for PR on the basis of 2 yr study in australia,Could you please advice me on this?


  44. ianlittle said on September 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

    Kiran – Correct.- the visa application is on the basis of an accredtited qualification for the occupation you are seeking a visa as. Its pretty obvious really. It would be unreasonable to expect to have hairdressing qualific ations and seek to apply for a visa as a brain surgeon. (Sorry, an extreme example but this is the thinking people have – but with more closely related occupations)
    The study part is a visa issue rather than one of qualification accreditation. You need to talk to a migration agent on that issue. This is outlined in Depatment of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) Booklet 6. Follow the link from our FAQ page. The time spent studying is not relevant to your cooupation as an electronics engineer.

  45. Asif said on September 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm

    Hi, I am a Mechanical Engineer + MSc in Petroleum, having 8 years of experience working in capacities of Design and Project engieers /Manager..

    I already got Engineers Australia (Mech. Engineer), and will be getting soon PR….

    I want to know the best suited Australian state.. for job… if possible — location as well… ( I want to land job in Oil & Gas, Petrochemical, Manufacturing , etc.)

    Thanks in Advance

  46. ianlittle said on September 19, 2009 at 7:54 am

    Asif – Western Australia or Queensland are the places for you. There are a number of LNG projects in the front end design stage at the moment. The design work will be done in Perth and Brisbane. LNG plants will be built near Gladstone and on the NorthWest Shelf around Karratha. Companies such as Woodside, Queensland Gas Company (QGC) and Santos arebig players. You are in the right industry at the right time. To find out about other oil and gas companies go to the Australian Instute of Petroleum site. Type australian petroleum or Australian LNG into your browser and you will get many sites with information on the industry in Australia. Buy Project Australia now to learn how to find the companies and win an engineering job in Australia. It will save you a small fortune.

  47. Romany said on September 21, 2009 at 11:25 pm

    hi ian i have graduated from faculty of engineering Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt which is five years studying 1st year is preparatory year 2nd and 3rd years were in general mechanical department and 4th and 5th years were in mechatrronics section with this bachelor degree i can work in automation and control field which may be in industrial or in building management systems.i am asking you under what title i apply my cdr to engineers australia if i will work in industrial field or automation and control of buiding field

  48. ianlittle said on September 22, 2009 at 1:37 pm

    Romany – Mechatronics is challenging as there is no direct ASCO equivalent. Have you considered “Engineer – Building and Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified 2129-79″. Thsi has no guidelins so proving occupation is not so hard. You could probably try mechanical engineer if the control parts are very mechanically orieiented , such as hydraulics and pneumatics. Without knowing exact subjects and work experience I think you would have a best chance as a mechanical engineer.

  49. Jigar said on October 1, 2009 at 11:17 am


    I have check for skill assesement with Engineer Australia, and they are ready to nominate me as a Mechatronics engineer, based on my masters degree in mechatronics. Fortunatelly, it is having the ASCO code same as Electronics engineer, which is in CSL !! But just make sure that, when you write up a CDR, it must be painted with mechatronics stuff, e.g projects and interests related to your field of engineering, Mechatronics.

  50. Jigar said on October 1, 2009 at 5:48 pm

    Hello Ian,

    As I mentioned to Romani, I am a Mechatronics Engineer, having the same ASCO code as Electronics enginner. I am preparing my E-visa application online. In that process, there is one step where I am being asked for my Nominated occupation, and I have to select it from Drop down menu. But there isnt such occupation listed as Engineer-Mechatronics Engineer. Do you have any idea which one should I select? Should I select Electronics Engineer, as mechatronics shares the same ASCO code in my case ?

    Thanks mate

  51. ianlittle said on October 1, 2009 at 8:20 pm

    Jigar – Yes, your are an electronics engineer under the ASCO definition. It’s that easy.

  52. Thomas said on October 18, 2009 at 3:10 pm

    I’m a Mechanical Engineer in oil and gas maintenance side. We (my family includes wife and 1 year old daughter) are awaiting our PR Visa under skilled migration(VE 175) with myself as primary applicant. My skills assessment is over(ASCO 2126-11) and we have undergone police clearance checks & medicals. Please advise how long does it take for getting the visa as per the present trend. Also my wife is a sofware engineer (ASP.NET) . She was not working for last two years. We would like to know whether she would require a skills assessment (i.e. IELTS and CDR) to start working once we reach Australia.

  53. ianlittle said on October 18, 2009 at 6:12 pm

    Thomas – The latest information on processing times is given on our Australian Imigration Articles page. You need to talk with a migration agent about your wifes situation. There is no formal occupation licensing or registration which would require assessment.

  54. Fahad Nasir said on October 27, 2009 at 4:49 am

    I have done Bachelors in Computer Engineering which is almost similar to Electronics engineering, and after that i have done my Master in Information and Communication Engineering (MSc) from University of Leicester UK, I have around 3 year experience as hardware/telecoms engineer . what is the selection procedure for me?

  55. ianlittle said on October 27, 2009 at 10:22 am

    Fahad – Apply to Engineers Australia as an electronics engineer. The computing hardware and telecoms fit under that definition

  56. Badsha said on November 5, 2009 at 12:41 am

    Hi I have completed my BSC in Mechanical Engineering which is in MODL and Critical skill list. What will happen now. How i will get my assesment. If i do with MODL , will it count in CSSL.

  57. ianlittle said on November 5, 2009 at 4:59 am

    Badsha – You just apply for a visa. The occupation you choose automatically sorts the priority out. Talk with a migration agent.

  58. thomas said on November 11, 2009 at 3:55 am

    We have received our PR under VE 175 skilled migrant subclass.We are planning to migrate to Queensland or Western Australia.My wife(secondary applicant) and a software engineer with 2 years work experience.Currently not working for past 2years. I would like to know if her degree has to be assessed by ACS if she has to work in australia.Also should she clear IELTS exam to be able to work.At present we are in india .If above ie skill assessment and ielts exam not required can she simply apply for jobs with her resume from india.

    Thomas – As she is immigrating as a spouse she does not have to meet occupation or English requirements. If Her English is poor she will have trouble getting a job. Assessment by ACS is not compulsory but could helpf her qualifications are not readily understood.

  59. shajib said on November 11, 2009 at 7:26 am

    I have passed my 4 years B.Sc in mechanical eng. from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology this october , 2009 and have got a job in power plant construction site as general mechanical engineer in Saudi Arabia . I want to know that can i apply for skill migration to australia after doing 1 year in my job in Saudi Arabia , if yes then can i apply from there as i am bangladeshi…..or should i have to return to Bangladesh to apply for skill migration…. is 1 year experience in such field is ok to apply?

    Shajib – You should be able to get your qualifications assessed by preparing after only one years experience. You need to talk to a registered migration agent about immigration matters. Get a copy of Booklet 6 from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Follow the links from our FAQ page.

  60. tintin78 said on November 23, 2009 at 9:30 am


    I have done B.Tech in Electrical Engineering and working as a Design engineer for the last 5 years in LV,MV electrical design in Material Handling (Crane) Industry. Since I am planning to immigrate to australia, I am looking for an industry where my skills and work experience fit properly. How is the job prospect in my field? In which part of australia do I have possibilities of finding a job? Do I need to switch my career to any other(like Oil & Gas/Mining/Building) Industry?If yes,then how can I do it?

    Thank you very much for your time & effort.

  61. ianlittle said on November 23, 2009 at 10:00 am

    tintin – The mining industry is large and undergoing expansion. Your skills will be in demand. There should be opportunities with mining companies, construction companies and equipment suppliers in the material handling field. Look at the skills you have and how they are applied in various industries. I do not see a big difference between a crane on an oil rig and a crane on a building site. It is your skills in cranes that is important, not the material they handle. This issue is handled in detail in Project Australia. Project Australia shows you how to prepare you CV for Australian industry.

  62. vinny said on December 9, 2009 at 9:47 am

    HI, I completed my Bachelors in computer science 2009 April in overseas India.
    Because of my marriage i migrated to Australia in June. I am holding provisional/spouse visa with me.Do my bachelors degree is recognized in Australia or not.
    If I want to do job in government or private am I eligible to do them?
    If I am eligible what kind of jobs are available for me.
    whom can I concern.

    Thank you for your time.

  63. ianlittle said on December 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm

    Vinny – Legally I cannot provide advice on visa matters. You need to talk with DIAC or a registered migration agent. You must comply with the working requirements of your visa. See the Australian Computer Soiciety (ACS) requirements for qualifications. There is no legal registration requirement to prohibit you working as a computer professional. You just need to find a job.
    I think you will need to work on your English to get a job,

  64. ianlittle said on December 18, 2009 at 5:53 pm

    Namal – Don’t be lazy. Follow the links from our FAQ page – You need to go to the Australian Skills Recognition Unformation website.

  65. Chris said on January 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

    Dear Ian,
    thank you very much for your outstanding effort in supporting all this people from all around the world. I am a 34-year old Petroleum Engineer with a specialisation in Reservoir Engineering. I hold a 5-year degree in Petroleum Engineering at the Politecnico of Turin (Italy) a MSc Degree in Petroleum Engineering at the Imperial College of London and the Diploma of the Imperial College. I have 6 years or relevant work experience in the O&G sector and 2,5 year in the B2B sector as a innovation consultant for large industrial projects.
    I kindly ask your expert judgment on 3 questions:
    1) How open is the O&G industry to foreign petroleum engineers (I am located at present in Italy) and which could be the best strategies to find opportunities and get in contact with potential recruiters or Oil companies in Australia (thank you for the tips to Asif i have already read)?
    2) I am really at the beginning of my vision of a life in Australia, can you VERY briefly OUTLINE the procedure to follow, and the requirement to obtain a visa for working in Australia? Do i need to obtain a Skill Recognition before or after my job search. If I get such recognition will I also automatically get a visa?
    3) In the forum discussion I understand that I will have to provide letters from my previous employers. what kind of letters should they be? what kind of statements should they contain and how much detail should they have on my role? Should i provide letters from all my past employers?
    Thank you in advance you’re your attention.
    I wish you a wonderful day and a good luck to all guys!

  66. ianlittle said on January 20, 2010 at 8:59 am

    Chris – The oil and gas industry is an global industry. The best path is contacting companies directly. Most of the major internationals operate in Australia. You may have contacts through related companies. Go to the Australian Institute of Petroleum website and follow links from there to find company names and who is doing what.
    Go to our FAQ blog page. There you will find links to all the information you need. The two key booklets you need are Booklet 6 General Skilled Migration from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) which tells you about the immigration process, and the Migration Skills Assessment handbook from Engineers Australia which provides the details of qualifications assessment.

  67. Octaviano said on January 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

    Ian- I would like to apply for PR.
    I have Brazilian bachelor degree in civil engineering, also I have Australian associate degree in civil engineering at Tafe. At moment I’m working for a big company in Australia, I’ve been having a lots of experience Including 2 big projects (Hobart and Newcastle offices), At moment I’m holding 457 visa (sponsor visa as graduated Engineer), next October would be 2 years with this Visa.
    My question is, I’ve told it is a requirement that in Queensland you need to hold RPEQ registration in order to apply under the Civil Engineer ASCO for Employer Nominated Sponsorship. Is there any good advise for my situation?
    I thought after 2 years holding 457 visa plus other points would be enough for my application..Is that correct? Thanks

  68. ianlittle said on January 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

    Octaviano – I do not believe the advice on RPEQ you have been given is correct. If you have any doubts, work in another State. There are a large number of engineers working in Queensland without an RPEQ. Senior engineers in companies tend to be the ones with RPEQ and the approve engineering documents. ( I know because I am an RPEQ.) Your qualifications are assessed by Engineers Australia. You do not apply to the Queensland Engineering Board for qualifications accreditation. You have the advantage of living in Australia. Go to the nearest Engineers Australia nad talk to an assessor. have a good look at the accreditation process from within Australia. It is simpler than from offshore.

    I would reckon you should be able to get enough points as you have relevant experience nad Australian experience. If you have not, ask your nemployer to sponsor you. That is the quickest path.

  69. eddy said on February 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm

    l have graduated bachelor of civil engineering in 2006 in Turkey and after that l have worked as an engineer for 1 year. About 1.5 year ago l came austaralia to study english and l have took 1 year english course and than l aplied for hospitality manegement course and now l finished only one term of this course but indeed want to study master of civil engineering but l heard that to apply pr u need to finish min 2 years study and merore than 16 subject so many of masters are only 1.5 year or with honour 2 years. for example l am interesting in swine burn uni master of engineering there 1.5 year and 12 subject and l think 4th term ( for honour) u take only 50 credit 1 subject so totally 13. what kind of subject l can combine to reach 16 without making honour degree 1.5 years + ?


  70. ianlittle said on February 2, 2010 at 8:40 pm

    Eddy – I would demand my money back on the English course if I was you. You need to work very hard on improving your English. Buy a copy of Project Australia to get some really useful advice om improving your English. You need to talk to a registered migration agent to understrand the different paths available to you. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to obtain all the information for yourelf so you can make your own decision. All the issues are covered in detail in Project Australia. Contact at least thre different universities and compare what they have to say. This is a complicated area and you need to do a lot of homework so you do not waste more money tring to but a visa through an education path.

  71. Walid said on February 5, 2010 at 2:01 am

    Dear Lan
    I gratuated from faculty of engineering – civil department from Minia University in Egypt, i get my bachelor degree of civil engineering with good degree ( 5 years studying in the civil dep. to get the bachelor degree) , gratuated at 2001. Now i have 9 years experience in the field of civil engineering as site civil engineer & construction manager. I passed 3 years of my experience working in Egypt and 6 years in Saudi Arabia. I applied for immigration to Australia , passed the eligibilty test and won more than 105 points( i can`t remeber the figure right now) so, i need to know what i can do to have ajob in australia? how can i get there? what`s the right way to get there and find a job? do i need to qualify my degree or i can start my job dierct there?what`s the best way to go forward to settle there? sorry for disturbing u with much questions, but i really need to know about that.
    Thank you & god bless you

  72. ianlittle said on February 5, 2010 at 6:20 am

    Walid – I wrote Project Australia just for people like you. Project Australia takes you through the whole process from planning, qualifications assessment, getting job ready and finding and applying for jobs in Australia. Project Australia provides 180 pages of advice. My apologies that I cannot provide all this in a simple blog response.

  73. amandeep said on March 9, 2010 at 1:57 pm

    hi i am a mechanical engineer having 6 years exeperience and i have applied for australian pr offshore but for somereasons it got rejected now i am currently in australia on a student visa and i am doing my master of engineering, my question is if i apply for pr onshore after completion of my course can i get it or my prior rejection has somthing to do with it, one more thing i want to know is will i get a job in my field here as it seems mechanical engineeing is not in demand here.

  74. ianlittle said on March 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm

    Amandeep – As your are assessed on your undergraduate qualification, the reason for rejection may not have changed. Your masters course should help you demonstrate your engineering competencies. Opportunities for engineers are improving quickly. For migration you will graetly improve your chances of success if you get a few years experience in your home country before applying. Australia wants experienced engineers.

  75. Venci said on March 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm

    I have a MSc degree (5 year study after High School) in Automation and Process Control from the University of Chemical Thenology and Metallurgy in Bulgaria. I have 6 years experiance as a process control engineer. I have read the Eng. Australia booklet and the SOL but I got confused with the identifying the appropriate ASCO code. Does anybody know what wolud be the best occupation to apply for accordinng to ASCO definitions?

  76. ianlittle said on March 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm

    Venci – Process control engineers fall in between the limited number of occupations in the Australian Skilled Occupation Codes (ASCO). The closest occupation is probably mechatronics engineer.
    The good news is if you prepare your competency assessment reports for one occupation and Engineers Australia think you really fit another occupation they will recognise that and accredit you with the qualification they think you fit. They will not simply reject your application. You will fit under the electrical or electronic engineer occupation description, most likely an electronics (mechatronics) engineers. Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website and follow the links to get the detailed occupation descriptions. Follow the links from our Engineers Career Advice page. Do not expect that you will have to meet all the communications requirements.

  77. Venci said on April 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm

    Thank you very much for your fast reply. The news is good indeed – I thought that Engineers Australia might reject my application if the competency report did not fit the appropriate ASCO code definition. I think I’ll try with “Chemical Engineer” because I have taken some chemistry courses as a part of the program during my studies in the University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy and, in general, my process control subject is supposed to be orientated towards the chemical industry. Furthermore, I read that according to ASCO definitions the “Chemical engineer” occupation comprises skills like “prepares designs for chemical process systems, and plans control systems…” Do you think I am heading in the right direction?

  78. ianlittle said on April 1, 2010 at 8:09 pm

    Venci – You are in the right track. The best chance of success is when qualifications and experience match the chosen occupation.

  79. John Jones said on April 6, 2010 at 5:12 am


    Thanks for taking time with the informaiton, it has been very informative.

    I have had my skills and qualifications and have recognised applied for State Sponsorship in Queensland. I have been notified that that the application is being processed.

    I am an Electrical Building Services Design Engineer with experience of large data centre, commercial, custodial and education projects.

    The question I have is do you know where I can find out what the job market is like in Queensland at the moment/projected to be like over the next year or so.

    I have tried contacting companies direct (got no replies) and have tried the internet (hard to tell what is reliable information).

    Any information would be gratefully received.



  80. ianlittle said on April 6, 2010 at 7:36 am

    John – Mining and coal seam methane development and LNG will cause large job shortages in Queensland, These will drive a need for increased infrastructure to support the large population growth. The bad news is that in anticipation of this there is a movement of people to Queensland so that the number of applicants per job is higher than anywhere else in Australia. Visit the Work Live Play website.

  81. Stella said on April 24, 2010 at 12:58 am

    I intend to migrate to Australia on a 476 visa based on my masters qualification in Chemical Engineering.My undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering degree is from a non-recognised university.I have two years work experience in a field not related to my field of study but intend to do a professional year program once in Australia.Will this improve my chances of applying for PR or I will face problems due to my undergraduate qualification and lack of experience?Thanks

  82. John A. said on April 25, 2010 at 9:35 pm

    Hello, I have just noticed that my USA Bachelor of Science degree in Electronics Engineering Technology is accredited under the ABET in the USA as under the ‘Technology’ category and not ‘Engineering’. It says on the ABET website that to be considered accepted by the Washington Accord, it needs to be under ‘Engineering’ . Can you believe that?? I am sooo disappointed!

    I have eight years experience already in wireless/mobile telecom, both from a core network/switch background, as well as RF optimization. Does this mean that I will actually have to submit a CDR? Based on my background as listed above, if I submit the proper paperwork for a CDR, will I even have a decent chance at obtaining a migration skills assessment from Engineers Australia?? If not, do I have any other options or am I simply out of luck for emigration to Australia? I am truly devastated.

    John A.

  83. ianlittle said on April 26, 2010 at 6:05 pm

    John – I doubt that there would be any point in doing a CDR as you fail the first step of having a four year degree equivalent to an Australian engineering degree. Is you degree recognized under the Sydney Accord? You can apply as an engineering technologist if that occupation is included in the new SOL about to be released. Email Engineers Australia and ask them if they would consider a CDR application.

  84. ianlittle said on April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

    Stella – Check the details to ensure you are eligible to do a professional year. The number of courses from overseas universities is limited. A professional year would certainly improve your chances of being eligible for PR. You should be able to get your qualifications accredited now, without doing any further study. Lack of experience will be a problem. Australia wants experienced engineers. they can produce their own graduates.

  85. nenad said on May 22, 2010 at 6:27 am

    I have diploma in traffic and transport engineering, specialized in road and urban traffic and transport(all areas of traffic: planning, design, safety…). For the last year I am working in Center for Drivers Education(area of traffic safety). Can someone say would engineers Australia except my CDR? I have less of a year working experience in civil projects(overall 2 years of work experience).

  86. ianlittle said on May 22, 2010 at 7:15 am

    Nenad – In preparing a CDR you need to be able to demonstrate professional engineering competencies. I have doubts that you can do that with the type of experience you have. Also your occupation does not appear on the new SOL.

  87. Hsa said on May 28, 2010 at 2:18 am

    I have a four year Bachelors of Science in Computer Engineering. This degree is recognized by ABET, which falls under Washington Accord. The degree focuses on electrical, electronics, hardware, software, and networking.

    The problem I am facing is that, on the SoL list the closest I come is Electrical Engineer or Electronics Engineer. Where will my degree fall if evaluated by “Engineers Australia”?

    Currently, I am pursuing dual Masters Degree in Australia (2 years). The degrees are Engineering Management and an MBA. I can also go for “Engineering Manager”, which falls on SoL list and can be evaluated by Engineers Australia or AIM. As I have no work experience, AIM is out of the question.

    I am aiming for 120 points in the following manner:
    Engineering (60)
    Age under 29 (30)
    English Ielts-7.0 (25)
    Australian Qualification (5)

    Please advice me on my current situation.

    Hsa – I think you should be looking at IT occupations. You look more like a computer professional by the ASCO definitions. I seriously doubt you can achieve a positve assessment as a professional electronics engineer, unless your course was heavily hardware focused.

  88. Amrit said on May 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

    Hello Ian,
    A very good day to you.
    Well I migrated to Australia as a professional Mechanical engineer with 5 years experience in the field of power generation around 2009 year end .Since then I am on a look out for a job in related filed but haven’t been able to crack anything till date. I got my CV done professionally as well and am also willing to accept an offer anywhere in Australia .presently I am residing in Victoria. Can u give me any suggestions/offer any help in that regard? Any words of wisdom from your end are highly appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards

  89. ianlittle said on May 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

    Amrit – Have you read Project Australia and followed the steps. Are you going to Engineers Australia and similar engineering events and meeting engineers. In Victoria Engineers Australia have an active overseas qualified engineers group. You should have a copy of Living in Victoria, an engineers guide. Download this from the Live in Victoria website. Have you gone down to the Latrobe Valley and visited the power stations and spoken to operations and maintenance engineers there?

Leave a comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Australia — Anecdotes. Answers. Advice. Get a free update in your inbox.

* denotes a required field
First Name:
Last name:
* Email Address:

Privacy protection promise — your details are 100% safe and secure.

Our books

G'day Boss

G'day Boss!
Australian Culture and the Workplace

Land That Job

Land That Job:
The Fast-Track to Job Success

Networking In Australia

Start Smart:
Networking In Australia

Engaging Recruiters in Australia

Start Smart:
Engaging Recruiters in Australia