Engineering Qualifications Assessment for Australia – English Competency

When applying to Engineers Australia for engineering qualification assessment or for an Australian skilled migrant visa you must show you meet the English requirements. In Australia, all engineering business is dome in English.

If you need to do an IELTS test, you must do this before you lodge your assessment application

You can demonstrate English proficiency by:

(a)      Showing you hold an eligible passport from one of the following countries (you will not be required to sit the IELTS test):

  • United Kingdom (UK)
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • United States of America (USA)
  • Republic of Ireland

(b)    Including an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number with your application to show you have a band score of at least six (6) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing.

Your test results must be from a test you sat no more than two (2) years before the day of making your application.

The IELTS is a test designed to assess an applicant’s English language ability. It has an academic test and a general training test. For engineering work take the general training test.
IELTS examinations are available worldwide and further information is available on their website.

See: International English Language Testing System

The important points are:

You must do the test before before you make an assessment application.

You must score at least 6.0 in each component of the IELTS general test

And most importantly:

If your IELTS English score is below this, you may find an alternative path to a visa, but it will be practically impossible for you to get an engineering job in Australia.

Do not try and work the system – improve your English to succeed as an engineer migrating to Australia.


Skip to comment form »

  1. Soe said on August 26, 2009 at 3:43 pm

    Dear Sir/ Madam,

    I would like to request you to know regarding about my Degree which can be acceptable or not by Aussi Government when I apply the Independant Visa for migration.
    Actually I am Bachelor of Degree holder in Mechanical Engineering field, graduated in 2004 from University of Yangon Technology, Myanmar. But I have been working in Singapore as a MVAC designer until now. So I would like to know whether my Degree from Myanmar which is compatible or not submitting the Independant Australia Visa for my future. I am looking forward to seeing you.
    Your soonest reply is highly appreciated.
    Best Regards,

  2. ianlittle said on August 26, 2009 at 4:58 pm

    Soe – Your engineering qualification will need to be verified by Engineers Australia. You will need to prepare a competency demonstration report (CDR). Go to the FAQ page to get more information and links to all the sites you need.

  3. johnpaul said on October 22, 2009 at 3:52 pm

    Hi, i am john and i have completed my undergraduate in mechanical engineering , which is a four year study. Is tat an accredited course or should i go on to prepare an cdr report so as to get assessed as an engineer.

  4. ianlittle said on October 22, 2009 at 5:43 pm

    John – Don’t waste your time trying to write a CDR just yet. You need to improve your English. I am not a mind reader. You have provided no details of your course, so how can I tell if it is accredited? Start becoming self sufficient – a skill you will need if you are to succeed in Australia. Go to Engineers Australia website and look at the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. Follow the links from our FAQ page.

  5. ramesh k mourya said on November 23, 2009 at 8:04 pm

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am Ramesh and completed my four years engineering degree in electronics & communication from India in 2006. at present i am in australia on student visa. i don’t have approperiate experience in my field. i am interested to work as a engineer in australia. please suggest me the ways to get assessment of my engineering degree with engineering australia , so i can go for professional courses .

    best regards


    ramsh – Go to our FAQ page and follow the links. The only courses worth doing are the Engineers Austraklia professional year (PYear) or the University of Southern Queensland masters in Engineering Practice. No other course will lead you to a job.

Leave a comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Australia — Anecdotes. Answers. Advice. Get a free update in your inbox.

* denotes a required field
First Name:
Last name:
* Email Address:

Privacy protection promise — your details are 100% safe and secure.

Our books

G'day Boss

G'day Boss!
Australian Culture and the Workplace

Land That Job

Land That Job:
The Fast-Track to Job Success

Networking In Australia

Start Smart:
Networking In Australia

Engaging Recruiters in Australia

Start Smart:
Engaging Recruiters in Australia