Engineer Migration to Australia. Your Occupation, Qualifications and Work Experience

Work experience is not compulsory for engineers applying to Engineers Australia for assessment of qualifications obtained outside Australia.

There are many steps in applying for a general skilled migrant visa to Australia. the two areas related to engineering work experience are qualifications assessment (accreditation) and the points allocation for the points test for a general skilled migrant visa application. Assessment of qualifications for engineers is carried out by Engineers Australia and visa applications are assessed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). These are two totally separate functions carried out by separate organisations – so we will look at them separately.

Qualifications assessment

Work experience is not compulsory for engineers applying to Engineers Australia for assessment of qualifications obtained outside Australia for an engineering occupation. Everything you need to know is given in The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook.  Read this from cover to cover. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :

You will notice there are three pathways to accreditation of level 1 qualification for migration (the basic education requirement) :

Australian qualifications

Washington and Sydney Accords

Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) for non-recognised qualifications

There is no work experience requirement for this level of qualifications recognition.

If you don’t have a recognised qualification (either Australian or by the Accords) you need to write a CDR. You have to demonstrate you have engineering competencies for the level of occupation you are applying for. You need to demonstrate you have the appropriate knowledge and skills and can apply them at the level of your nominated occupation.

You need to write three career episode reports (CERs) as part of your CDR. This is where work experience should help you. Your work experience can provide projects and activities to demonstrate your understanding and application of engineering principles and practice. So work experience is desirable to give you a base to provide something to write about. But you are assessed by your personal actions, not time spent anywhere or in any particular job.

General Skilled Visa Application

Work experience can help you gain additional points in the points test. You need to read Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration, which is available online from the booklets section of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

There are two very important factors to be aware of with work experience in the points test:

It must be relevant. It must relate to the occupation you are applying for. This could be different from you degree or other qualification. For example: A person with a mechanical engineering degree may be applying as a software engineer  Any mechanical engineering experience may not be considered relevant to the software engineer occupation.

It must be recent experience. Any periods without work, such as while studying for a higher degree could reduce your points.

So What?

When developing your plan for migration, your Project Australia, make informed decisions to provide the best and most economical result. It is recommended that you seek advice from a registered migration agent for Australia. This is a complex area with the rules changing regularly in the current economic climate. For engineers migrating to Australia, qualifications assessment and visa applications are handled separately. Understand the difference to ensure success in applying to migrate to Australia.

Skip to comment form »

  1. Umesh Shrestha said on May 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

    I am a electrical engineer, a permanent resident of Australia and working in Aus for three years. My qualification was assessed as Advanced diploma when I first migrated to Australia. I would like my qualification to be assessed by Engineers of Australia. As I checked in web site of Engineers Australia I found in Clause 4.11 “English language competency” stated that “you have worked in Australia and your employer has provided a statement that you are competent in English in the workplace”
    Now my question is if I get a certificate of competency in English in the work place from my employer, will I be eligible for member of Engineers of Australia? Do I still have to sit for IELTS test?

    Hoping to get a suggestion

    Kind Regards

  2. ianlittle said on May 27, 2009 at 6:32 pm

    Umesh – I certainly would try submitting an application without doing an IELTS test. There is no reason to disbelieve Engineers Australia. Submit a statement from your employer. Make sure it uses the words from clause 4.11. Your challenge will be providing new career episode reports to demonstrate professional engineering competencies. Good Luck

  3. Jason said on May 30, 2009 at 11:50 pm

    Hi, I’m a software engineer and i have passed professional graduate diploma awarded by BCS – UK (equivalent to the academic level of a UK university honours degree). I also have 4 years exp. as a software engineer. Do i have enough qualification for skilled migration?

  4. ianlittle said on May 30, 2009 at 11:55 pm

    Jason – As a software engineer you will be assessed for migration as a computing professional, rather than as a professional engineer. For immigration purposes your qualifications will be assessed by the Australian computer Society (ACS).
    Go to the Washington Accord website. You should be able to see your course listed there if it is accredited. As an IT professional you meet the 4 year work experience requirement provided the work experience is relevant to your particular software skills. You need to have one of the specialist software skills listed in the MODL to be eligible for skilled migration at this point in time.

  5. Usman Akram said on July 4, 2009 at 1:26 am

    is CDR necessary for first time verfication from Australia Engineering Ass.
    If not then guide me please.

  6. ianlittle said on July 4, 2009 at 5:00 am

    Usman – Go to our FAQ page. The important links are provided there.

  7. Claris said on July 15, 2009 at 2:59 pm

    I am a graduate of Electronics Engineering. I have been working for 10 years as a College instructor. The courses that I have been teaching are Computer Engineering and Computer Sciences major subjects. Do I have to be assessed in EngineersAustralia, or should I prepare RPL in ACS? Thank you very much.

  8. ianlittle said on July 15, 2009 at 8:45 pm

    Claris – You need to work out the occupation you feel gives you the best opportunity of qualification accreditation and also of obtaining a general skilled migrant visa. Once you have worked that out , go to the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) site and that will tell you the assessing authority. It certainly looks like you would be best as a computing professional. The specialist field is an issue. Another option is as a lecturer.

    Read both the ACS and Engineers Australia assessment guidelines.

  9. Imran Jel said on July 20, 2009 at 12:03 am


    I am electrical engineering by profession and have 14 years of work experience – a combination of industry as well as university full time work.
    My two questions about CDR
    1. How much recent the CDR should be?
    2. If I select a profession like “Electrical Engineer” for immigration purpose, would it limit my chances to get a job in other professions suitable to my skills e.g. software development?


  10. ianlittle said on July 20, 2009 at 9:04 pm

    Imran – There is nothing in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet that specifies any particular time for the episodes in your experience. A thing you need to keep in mind is you need to have any work experience period relating to a CER validated by an employer reference letter. The longer ago an episode, the harder it may be to have the experience validated.
    There is no restriction on the jobs you can take once you have been garnted a visa. If you have a regional sponsored visa you have limitations where you can live. Only about 30% of migrants get a job in their profession.
    Get yourself a copy of Project Australia and learn how to have a job waiting for you when you step off the plane.

  11. Vinny said on July 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

    This is vinny. I have completed my bachelors degree in civil engineering. I dont have any work experience and Im planning to apply to Engineers Australia very soon. How do i write three career episodes based on university projects? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

  12. ianlittle said on July 23, 2009 at 2:46 pm

    Vinny – Frankly, with great difficulty. Then when you arrive in Australia it will be very difficult for you to get a job as you will be competing against Australians who will have better English and understand the Australian workplace. I suggest you put your energy into getting three or four years of engineering experience before you try to move around the world.

  13. Rishaad said on July 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm


    I’ve had my qualifications assessed as an electrical engineering technologist (2128-15) but my recent experience is as a university lecturer (electrical engineering dept.) while I’m completing my PhD. Is there any way I can appply as an electrical engineering technologist and have my recent experience count since university lecturer is not on the SOL list.

  14. ianlittle said on July 23, 2009 at 6:15 pm

    Rishaad – Talk to a migration agent. We cannot comment on migration issues. You already have qualifications assessed for an occupation in demand.

  15. Chetan said on July 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm

    i am mechanical engineer, i am permenent resident of australia. i passed out my engineer degree from india. so may i know what is the procedure for degree assesement.

  16. ianlittle said on July 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm

    Chetan – You must apply to Engineers Australia to have your qualifications assessed. You can obtain details from the Engineers Australia website. I think you need to work on your English. This is the first step, qualifications assessment is next, then producing a good Cv, then finding hidden jobs, then learn how to perorm in an Australian job interview. It all takes planning, Project Australia will save you a lot of time and heartache. Unless you want to end up driving a taxi or running a retaurant you need to treat getting an engineering job as a project. Plan and you will succeed. Do not try and work it all out for yourself unless you are a masochist.

  17. John said on July 24, 2009 at 12:24 am

    Hi, I’ve completed my MBO Electronics diploma (4 years) in Netherlands which is not recognised in Australia. The diploma is a mix of engineering and service level activities and is a bit relevant to the Australian Advanced Diploma (kind of vocational). At the moment I’ve 3 years experience in engineering electronics/telecommunications activities. When I read the CDR guideline my current experience fits most with a Professional Engineer, but I don’t think my qualification meets the requirements to apply for this occupation. So it could be better to apply for the Engineer Electronics Associate. Does anyone has experience with this particular situation or can anyone advise me? Thanks.

  18. ianlittle said on July 24, 2009 at 4:56 pm

    John – Let Engineers Australia determine your level. Apply for accreditation as a profeesional engineer. I know of cases where people have applied for professsional engineer accredation but have been accredited as an engineering technologist.

  19. tom jose said on July 28, 2009 at 2:54 pm

    i am an electronics and communication engineer , i was worked as a linux administrator , nearly 2 years am i eligibile for migration ?

  20. ianlittle said on July 28, 2009 at 3:35 pm

    Tom – Read the ACS guidelines. I would not think you can meet the accreditation criteria.

  21. ej said on July 31, 2009 at 7:10 am

    Hello, Ms. Ianlittle,
    I am BS major in Electronics and Communications Engineering graduate from Philippines. I’m working as Manufacturing Process Engineer for Electronics Company for almost 6 years.
    I just want to ask if my current profession can be classified as Electronics Engineer or is there any classifications for my profession?
    Manufacturing Process Engineer is not stated in Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI), does it mean i am not qualified to apply for Engineers Migration to Australia? Thank you very much for time and consideration. More powers!

  22. ianlittle said on July 31, 2009 at 2:26 pm

    ej – It does not matter what your employer calls you, it is what you do that is important. If you are doing electronic engineer type things to enable you to demonsstrate electronic engineer competencies you will be OK. There is no classification for your profession in the ASCO codes – See the references on our FAQ page

  23. Chan Chan said on August 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm

    I am confused by washington accor and Sydney accord. I got a BENg and Master of Metallurgy. I am a chartered enginner offered by Engineering council in Uk. But the two accords stated that no suitable for postgraduate qualification.

    So which application should I use? I do not want to go for the CDR as I hate fill in that form.

  24. ianlittle said on August 10, 2009 at 11:10 pm

    Chan – The Accords only cover undergraduate engineering courses in the coubtries of the signatory countries. That is how it is. Perfectly clear, maybe not totally logical, some may say unfair. See Information for Members of an Overseas Engineering Association. It appears that by mutual recognition with IMechE you can become a member of Engineers Australia and a CPEng in Australia.

  25. Hammad said on August 12, 2009 at 9:28 pm

    Hi ianlittle,
    I have a confusion regarding the required work experience for positive assessment by Engineers Australia. As per the information given on this page, there is no work experience required. But the information given on the first page of the CDR Application Form states:
    “This pathway applies to persons who hold a non-recognised qualification. An Engineering qualification at least equivalent to an Australian (AQF) Advanced Diploma (two years of engineering study following
    twelve years of schooling) must be held by the applicant before an application may be made.
    This pathway also applies to persons seeking assessment who:
    • Hold an engineering-related degree and have been employed as an engineer for three years or more (full time equivalent); or
    • Hold an accredited engineering qualification but are seeking an outcome in a different occupational field to that of the degree specification; or
    • Are seeking assessment as an Engineering Manager.”
    I would like your comments on the first point in which a work experience of three years along with an engineering degree is required. Maybe I am misinterpreting the information here, but still there is confusion, on which I would like your expert opinion. Thanks in advance.

  26. ianlittle said on August 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm

    Hammad – Flattery will get you eveywhere. The magic word you have not picked up is “related”. If you do not have an engineering degree, but have an engineering related degree, you need 3 years experience. An engineering related degree could be something like metallurgy or applied science

  27. Usman Akram said on August 13, 2009 at 1:14 am

    Dear Ian,

    I am confused in writing Competency descriptive report. Actually i want to write CDR but I am not getting the right format and mention valid points. How can you help me in getting a general format of CDR? I know the value to spending money but there must be an authentic one format. I mean just an overview.

  28. ianlittle said on August 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm

    Usman – Have a look at this.

  29. Sutharsha said on August 19, 2009 at 1:56 pm

    Dear Ian,

    I have completed my BSc. Eng. (Hons) in Electroinc and Telecommunication Engineering, and now working as a Senior Exectuive in a Telekom company, in New Technology and Convergence Division and Research and Development Divison, for pasr 14 months.

    My designation goes as, Senior Executive – Technology Project Managerment.

    My job role is more towards requirement gathering, co-ordinating and quality assurance of new product development and introduing and practising new engineering practises. I have been managing atleast 15 mini projects and 2 major projects in the company.

    Could you please let me know whether I will be considered as an Electronic Engineer when it comes to General Skill Migration assessment?

    Also please let me know Telecommunication Engineers fall under which catergory in SOL/ MODL.


  30. Chan Chan said on August 22, 2009 at 12:48 pm

    Oh thanks, for reply.

    So I just need to fill in the mutual recognise form and no need to go through the skill assessment? From my understanding, you need to stay in Australia for 5 years, will it be very difficult to get a job within these 5 years before I become citizen. I hope that once you apply and fulfill the requirement, a working permit could provide to you and if you stay for 5 years, you will become a citizen.

    Correct me please if I have any misunderstanding.

  31. ianlittle said on August 22, 2009 at 4:47 pm

    Chan – I cannot guarantee you will not have to do the whole CDR. Go to the Engineers Australia site and send the question to them. Give full details.
    If you cannot get an engineering job in 5 years you are very unlikely to ever get one. With good preparation you should be able to get a job in 3 months. This is why I wrote Project Australia. Plan you move to Australia like you would an engineering project. Succes is the result of making a plan and following it.

  32. ianlittle said on August 23, 2009 at 8:14 am

    Sutharsha – 14 months experience and a senior executive !!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not expect to get such a glorious title if you come to Australia. I would call you a trainee engineer.
    You will be the same occupation for both qualifications assessment and for a visa application – an electronics engineer. See the ASCO definition. Telecommunications is part of electronics. It does not matter what you call yourself or what anyone else in your company calls you. You must see which Australian definition you fall under.

  33. Wendy said on August 24, 2009 at 6:49 pm

    Ian, Where would i get some examples of “Episodes” as defined in the “Migration Skills assessment booklet”
    I would like to have some idea of what is required and quite honestly there appears to a be a lot of superflous comments throughout the whole form.

  34. ianlittle said on August 24, 2009 at 7:00 pm

    Wendy – If your are a student member fo Engineers Australia you can get access to career episodes on the Engineer Australia website. There is a CDR example extract on the tribus lingus website. You can become a student member for free.

  35. atul said on August 25, 2009 at 11:27 am

    hi i have computer science engineering degree from india, but have no work experience as had passed out in may. am i elegible for migration to australia..

  36. ianlittle said on August 25, 2009 at 8:56 pm

    Atul – For immigration, your occupation will be as a computing professional rather than as an engineer. Your qualifications will be assessed by the Australian Computer Society. For links to all the information you need, go to our .FAQ page

  37. Najah Ahmed said on August 26, 2009 at 8:04 pm

    I have finished my Bachelors (4 years) in Computer Engineering in 2006. Then I have worked for about 4 years as Electronics Engineer in the biggest Telecom Company in my country. Within this time I have done part time MS in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering which was awarded on July 2009 (all grades received on January 2009). My work experience and degrees were assessed by Engineers Australia and rewarded me as Professional Electronics Engineer and put the completion date as the award date which is July 2009. If I don’t send them MS certificates they will give it to the completion date of my Bachelors. Will my experience before finishing my MS after BS will be counted as work experience as Electronics Engineer? The occupation has a one-to-one relation with the studies I have attended in the bachelors.
    Please let me know. I already have launched my application for Australia. If this is the case I will not be able to fulfill the recent work experience, 1 year mandatory experience or MODL. I am very tensed

  38. ianlittle said on August 26, 2009 at 9:09 pm

    Najh – Certainly when you are applying for a job the work experience will be taken as engineering experience. If you are looking for work experience points for a visa application that work experience is before the date Engineers Australia have accrdited your qualification. It is not clear why you would want to go back to Engineers Australia. They are not interested in years of experience. They are interested in your engineering competencies.

  39. Emrah said on August 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm

    Hi. I am a mechanical engineer graduated from a Turkish university. I have a 2 years temporary work visa in Australia. I have 2 years of work experience. Will my situation be different than an immigrant? Should I apply to Engineers Australia and have my qualifications assessed? And how can I know if my diploma is certified in Australia?

    Thanks for your helps..

  40. ianlittle said on August 27, 2009 at 7:16 am

    Emrah – You must talk to a registered migration agent about your migration status. You need to apply to Engineers Australia for qualifications assessment. An overseas qualifications unit (OQU) will give you an indication of your qualification accreditation. Get the links from our FAQ page.

  41. Ozan said on August 27, 2009 at 5:50 pm

    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for all the helpful information in the blog.

    I have been preparing my CDR application for two weeks and now it is time to write the career episodes. But I am suspicious about if Engineers Australia is the correct assessment authority for my application. Since I have an Electrical and Electronics engineering degree (four years Bachelor) , it must be assessed by EA according to the booklet. But my all 6 six year continious work experience is in ICT sector including media, banking and telecom industries.
    Actually I had projects completely on electronics which can be the subjects of CERs both in my undergrad and grad studies. But my work experience is completely based on IT practice.
    My question comes here, Shall I apply to Engineers Australia for electronics engineering or ACS for IT professional nomination?

    Thanks very much for your answer.

  42. ianlittle said on August 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm

    Ozan – Could you ask a harder question? having an electronics degree points you in the engineeer direction. If you have had no further sopecialist ICT training you may struggle to meet the ACS guidelines. If I was you I would look at what career episode reports you could write for electronic engineering. Write about ten one points for each episode and then look at the competencies you can demonstrate from these. A key factor is the amount of electronics hardware type competencies you can demonstrate. If your experience is software oriented the ICT route is more likely to be successful. Remember to get on the Critical Skills List you need specialist skills.

  43. Ozan said on August 27, 2009 at 9:23 pm

    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I am going to try to write CERs based on my academic projects about electronics then, because these projects include design of electronic circuits and embedded software development.

    Actually I have several certified post-graduate trainings from ICT vendors about Networking,Monitoring, Oracle,Java vs. But in fact, they are not qualifications, only certifications of offical training. And As I understand, ACS requirements include vendor qualifications not only training if undergraduate education is not an ICT major.

    And when I have reviewed the Critical Skills List and MODL, it seems to be easier for my nominated occupation to be considered in MODL if it would be electronic engineering.

    On the other hand, my experience in ICT sector is mainly hardware and operating system oriented. Since in the definition of electronic engineering by ASCO includes:

    -supervises installation and commissioning of computer, communications and control systems, and ensures proper control and protection methods
    -establishes and monitors performance and safety standards and procedures for operation, modification, maintenance and repair of such systems

    I think enterprise computer systems, servers,network devices installation ,maintenance and performance tuning could be accepted as experience for electronic engineering.
    Do you think if I am right about that?

    Thanks very much

  44. ianlittle said on August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm

    Ozan – You need an occupation on the Critical Skills List if you are looking at a general skilled migration visa.You are on the right track. ACS recognises non-academic traing because that is thenature of the computer industry.

  45. Emrah said on August 28, 2009 at 5:33 am

    Thank you ianlittle. But i am not migrating to Australia. My wife will study masters in Australia and I am going with her, on her 2 year visa
    as a dependant family member. Because she is studying masters I was granted a full time work visa. I am an engineer by profession and of course I want to continue my work in that field in this 2 years in Australia. Therefore I am not applying for a skilled migration visa. My question is: is it possible to get an entry level engineering position without a qualifications assessment from the engineers australia?

    Thank you for your help..

  46. ianlittle said on August 28, 2009 at 7:18 am

    Emrah – At the moment it will not be easy due to the Global Financial Crisis as you will be competing against graduates. It also depends on the State you are heading to. In Perth you probably will get a job. You can get a qualification recognition from an Overseas Quaklifcation Unit (OQU) after you arrive. This costs nothing, but it must be done from within Australia. The real ticket to a job is very good English and qualifications accredited by Engineers Australia.

  47. fe said on August 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm

    hi lan..

    my husband is applying as skilled sponsor migrant in australia, he is an electronics communication engineer with more than 10 years working on his field and he now working in saudi as telecom engineer.. he submitted his cdr in engineering department, still waiting for the question is,,is there any chances or possibility that we can continue our application on the next level?

    thank you and Good Day,

  48. ianlittle said on August 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm

    Fe – He needs to have his qualifications accredited before he can apply for a skilled migrant visa. If he is looking for an employer ponsorship he could certainly be looking for an employer sponsor. See more information from the links on our FAQ page.

  49. Najah Ahmed said on August 30, 2009 at 3:56 am

    Dear Ianlittle. Thanks a lot. Based on what you have said my application for immigration will be rejected :( please correct me if i am wrong. Please let me know what to do now.

  50. ianlittle said on August 30, 2009 at 5:09 am

    Najah – You must make you own decision. I can only provide you the information to help you make the best decision for you. You need to talk with a registered migration agent for Australia. It is illegal for me to provide migration advice. Have you considered how you could go migrating as an electronic engineering techologist. Your work experience would be relevant for that occupation.

  51. Chan Chan said on August 31, 2009 at 9:01 pm

    Thanks for the advise.

    I will apply for the sydney accord using my mechanical engineering experience but I also plan to do a JD/law in intellectual property rights in Australia next year, will there is any conflict or will it affect my application? So do I need to stay in my engineering professional throughout the entire application?

  52. ianlittle said on August 31, 2009 at 9:07 pm

    Chan – How do you expect to get a job? You seem to me to be all over the shop. Do you know of Australian companies who will employ you after you complete this course? I would concentarte on your engineering unless you are certain the studies will lead to a better job. There are a large number of courses which do not lead to jobs. You need to talk to a registered migration agent about immigration matters

  53. Larmandieu Rémi said on September 2, 2009 at 2:16 am

    Hi Ian

    After much research, I am currently undertaking the process of having my skills assessed by Engineers Australia for migration purposes. I do however have a few queries.

    1. As I have recently graduated from an engineering school in France, of which it was mandatory to undertake an engineering position with an external company (for a duration of 3 of the 5 years I attended the school);
    1. Will the skills and experience I developed from the work I conducted with my external employer be recognised as ‘real’ experience?
    2. Currently my qualification recognises that I am a generalist engineer with majors translating to mechanical and automatic engineering. However, the experience I gained during my employment were more closely related to plant/production engineering. Can I apply as a plant/production engineer?
    Will my experience of three years be recognised by the DIAC?

    Thanks a lot and good day!

  54. ianlittle said on September 2, 2009 at 5:00 am

    Larmandieu – The work experience during your course will provide valuable sources for career episode reports for your CDR. Becaus ethy are before you have graduated they will not count as rlevant work experience for immigration purposes. They will be well respected by potential employers though.
    You could apply as a plant/production engineer from your mechanical engineering degree. Many production engineers will have started out with mechanical engineering qualifications. You need to look in detail at the ASCO definitions to besure you meet the ASCO definition. It does not matter how you or your employers see yourself, what matters is how you meet the ASCO definition. Follow the links from our FAQ page. A migration gent will be better able to comment on how DIAC will see your experience. Be sure your application is consistent through accredited qualification, occupation for a visa and work experience.

  55. sanjay said on September 3, 2009 at 5:58 pm

    Hi Ian,
    I am a mechanical engineer and I’ve been working in the automobile sector for 15 months as a design engineer. I wrote my IELTS exam a couple of weeks back and received a score of 7.9. My CDR is almost complete except for a few touch ups here an there. I’m planning on applying for a state sponsored migration. What do u think are my chances and more importantly, how long would it me to get a job according to my qualifications??

  56. ianlittle said on September 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm

    Sanjay – The automotive industry is a turbulent world whatever country you are in. Do the legwork yourself and find out. Have you seen our links on sponsorship? Do some reasearch on likely employers in the automotive industry in Australia. Project Australia provides a lot of ideas in this area.

  57. Bharat said on September 11, 2009 at 5:23 pm

    i’ve done my Bachelors in technology in Electronics & Instrumentation discipline from my state university in india in 2009. currently i’ve joined a Cement manufacturing plant in my country which is biggest in asia capacity wise. can i apply for family sponsored skilled migration as my paternal uncle lives in canberra or is it necessary to have woek experience before applying for this visa category.please advise

  58. ianlittle said on September 14, 2009 at 6:53 pm

    Bharat – Work experience is not mandatory for qualifications assessment. But if you have not worked you will have difficulty demonstrating you have the engineering competencies you need for accreditation. You need to talk with an authorised migration agent. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to both Engineers Australia and to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) sites. Get the booklet on family sponsorship from the publications web page.

  59. prajith said on September 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm


    i’ve done my Bachelors in arts ,after that have done Microsoft certifications and now am working in IT field as Windows administration, have almost 8 years exp …in same
    Have IELTS individual score 5.5 ,my brother is have PR in Australia …pls let me know am eligible and how to proceed …Thanks in advance

  60. ianlittle said on September 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm

    Prajith – No chance until you improve your English. Then doubtfull on your computer qualifications. Go to the ACS website and see make your own judgement on how you would be assessed.

  61. Lindsay said on September 27, 2009 at 2:15 pm


    I have done My bachelors in engineering in electronics and telecommunication from india, after which i have worked for 18 months as an electrical engineer in a steel mill in india,
    Now i am doin a masters in electrical engineering from the University of new south wales, sydney..
    i am currently on student visa and i want to apply for a PR based on my bachelors and work experience in india, what are my chances and am i eligible to get my skills assessed

  62. ianlittle said on September 27, 2009 at 2:55 pm

    Lindsay – You should be able to write a CDR to be assessed as a professional electronics engineer from your background. As your electrical engineering experience and additional traning are all post graduate I doubt if Engineers Australia would accredit you as an electrical engineer.

  63. Gaurav said on September 28, 2009 at 5:55 am

    I have a Computer engineering degree.I called up Engineers Australia and asked them as to whether they assess Computer Degree and they said ‘yes’ they cann assess any Engineering degree.

    My question is after positive assessment , i will file for Visa and at that timei will need 10 points for work experience in realted fiel.

    Though i have 3 years of work experience but in software industry, can you suggest how the eqaution will work out for me.

    Please adise something.

  64. ianlittle said on September 28, 2009 at 6:16 am

    Gaurav – You really look more like a computer professional to me Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to the Australian Computer Society ACSpage. Also look up computer engineer on the Australian Skills Recognition Information site (ASRI). I believe you were given incorrect information. Ask the ACS.

  65. Usman Akram said on September 29, 2009 at 11:59 pm

    Hi Ian,

    I have successfully send my CDR to Engineers Australia and hoped to get assessment positive. I have seen DIAC and found out that from 1st of Jan 2010 Job ready test is there as a barrier. I want suggestion from you that what will be the format of the test , i mean either Interview or written please comment.


  66. ianlittle said on September 30, 2009 at 12:42 am

    Usman – The Government has not nominated the requirements yet. This is mainly aimed at trades where there has been a lower English requirement. Also such professions as para-medical where there isspecifc technical language. I think it will only be language and will probably not affect engineering. It could raise the iELTS level to 7 (just a guess.

  67. Gaurav said on September 30, 2009 at 3:12 am

    Hi Ianlittle thanx a lot for the reply.
    Keep up the good work.
    It really helps when someone like you is thee to help people.

  68. Usman Akram said on September 30, 2009 at 9:37 pm

    Hi Ian,
    Thanks for your comment. Its really a hope. I am Electronic Engineer by profession and got 6.5 in IELTS. I dont know wether I be in this pool or not?

  69. ianlittle said on October 1, 2009 at 6:31 am

    Usman – Keep practicing your English. Project Australia gives plenty of tips on how you can improve your English.

  70. babal said on October 1, 2009 at 9:03 pm

    I have passed my 3 years diploma in automobile engineering from overseas.
    Can i take an advantage of this couse for migration purpose?
    if yes, where should i go to get qualification assessment?
    Please advise me.
    Thank you

  71. Usman Akram said on October 2, 2009 at 2:14 am

    Thanks for your suggestion.

  72. Usman Akram said on October 3, 2009 at 11:24 am

    Hi Ian,

    I want to purchase Project Australia, but Pakistan is not listed in Paypal website. If possible could you please suggest me the alternate method.

    I also want some serious support from you. Actually, I have already send CDR documents to Engineers Australia for assessement as a Professional Engineer. I am Bachelor in Electrical Engineering specialized in communication and Electronics. Actually from MODL, CSL my experience comes under Electronic Engineer which is from Microwave Transmission Engineering back ground(2 years and 8 months). Now I want your valuable advice that in Australia such experience is in demand or do I need to switch to Electronics side. Please help me out in making decision.


  73. ianlittle said on October 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm

    Usman – Ailis will contact you about payment method.
    I can’t tell you too much about the telcommunications industry except that there will be a large amount of development as Australia is spending $40 billion to develope broadband internet across the continent. You can gather information about the players in this business Have a look at ICT Opportunities in Victoria for a start. many of the telecomms companies listed there are nayional.

  74. Usman Akram said on October 5, 2009 at 8:34 am

    Thanks for your support and advice.

  75. Md. Mominur Rahman said on October 7, 2009 at 3:19 am

    I am Mechanical Engineer.
    I have Six year Industry amintenance expeiecne.
    My IELTS score is Average 6.
    Can I migrate Autralia?
    How is it possible?


  76. ianlittle said on October 7, 2009 at 3:54 pm

    Md. – An average of 6 is not good enough for qualifications assessment. You need 6 or more in all categories. You also need at least 7 to have good chance to get a job quickly. You need to work hard on your English before you consider migrating.

  77. Forafriend said on October 12, 2009 at 12:26 pm

    Hi ianlittle

    I am a qualified electronic engineer (degree is covered under the Washington Accord) but am currently working as a embedded software developer.

    I write software for microchip processors (16, 18, 24 and 36 ranges) that are deployed remotely. This includes communication modules for GPRS and RF. Some of the products include explosives tracking and inventory, rail and truck axle load tracking, power quality monitoring, rail track stress monitoring, etc.

    Would my job still allow me to be covered under the definition of a electronic engineer for migration purposes?

  78. ianlittle said on October 12, 2009 at 2:51 pm

    Foraf (wierd name) – By the Washington Accord your qualification is accredited. Whether your work experience is considered relevant to an electronics engineer is the question. I would say it was. Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website an see the definition for an electronics engineer. This includes “designs software, especially embedded software, to be used within such systems” There is a link to the ABS site from our FAQ page.

  79. Eze said on October 13, 2009 at 6:02 pm

    I am wondering if my score in IELTS(listening 8.0, speaking 7.5,reading 7.5 and wriiting 6.5 will be acceptable to engineers australia

  80. ianlittle said on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 pm

    Eze – Read the Migration Skills Assessment Handbook. Follow the links from our FAQ page.</strong>

  81. Aziz said on October 13, 2009 at 9:53 pm

    I came to your site by goggling the web about skilled immigration, I find your site very helpful while visiting different areas.
    I have completed my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, since past five years I am working in a telecommunication, CDMA BSS field. I have no idea in which category should i apply my CDR, I have meet consultants in this regards and I am not satisfied as some of them are suggesting me to apply in Electronics Catagory and others in electrical Engineering catagory, I seek your kind help in this regards.

    I would be thank ful.

  82. ianlittle said on October 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm

    Aziz – Make your own informed decision. You understand your qualifications and experience more than anyone else. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to the sites to get all the information from the source. In particaular go to the Australian Bureau fo Statistics (ABS) site and look at the detailed definition of the skills for the occupations by ASCO code. You can probably choose either. The thing you need to do is to be able to write CDRs demonstrating occupation skills and qualifications which are consistent. It depends on the subjects you did in your electrical engineering degree and your final year project. As an example if you were a graduate from Melbourne University it would be easy for you to demonstrate communications engineering competencies as their electrical engineering course has a strong communications engineering stream.

  83. lasitha said on October 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm

    I am graduate Electrical Engineer from Sri Lanka. Currently I’m working as a research assistant / Engineering attached to an university research lab. Will I get qualified for professional engineer through CDR

  84. ianlittle said on October 19, 2009 at 8:03 pm

    Lasitha – You should be able to, provided you are doing engineering tassks which will allow you to demonstrate the engineering competencies. Remember it is not your job or your job title, it is your ability to demonstrate professional engineer competencies in a CDR that matters..

  85. Radhika said on October 22, 2009 at 4:33 am


    I am a Software Development Manager with 10 years experience in the Software industry including software development and project management. I do not have a computer science degree. Would I be eligible for Australian immigration?

  86. ianlittle said on October 22, 2009 at 9:18 am

    Radhika – Read Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration and see the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) requirements. Follow the links form our FAQ page, then talk to a registered migration agent. Use the links from this site so you understand the requirements yourself and can make your own decision. Be aware that Australian rules are constantly changing. You wiil need to go to the Australian Computer Society (ACS) website to see the assessment requirements. There only a limited range of specialist skills on the Critical Skills List (CSL). If your speciality is not on the CSL you will have a very long wait.

  87. Umad said on November 5, 2009 at 7:13 am

    I have finished my Bachelors (4 years) in Computer Engineering in 2006. And have work experience of 3 years as Network Engineer in the Telecom Company. Would I be eligible for Australian immigration and also I will be considered as Electronic Engineer?

  88. ianlittle said on November 5, 2009 at 8:03 am

    Umad – It depends on the specific subjects in your course and the particular work experience. Look at the detailed definitions for electronics engineer on the Australian Burea of Statistics (ABS) site. The link to this are on our FAQ page.

  89. Umad said on November 5, 2009 at 9:01 am

    ianlittle-thanks for your kind reply
    In my course there were communication system, networks and also other communication system related subjects. And now my experience is as a Network / Transmission Engineer. The technology that I am working on is MPLS, ATM and there are Microwaves, SDH equipment etc

    2125-13 Electronics Engineer
    Designs, develops, adapts, installs, tests and maintains electronic components, circuits and systems used for computer systems, communication systems and other industrial applications.

    So can you tell me that I go for the above category for assessment from Engineer Australia?

  90. ianlittle said on November 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

    Umad – I will not tell you what to do. If you are to succeed in Australia yiou have to learn to make your own decisions. I aim to helpyou find the information you need. You have that. Practice being an Australian engineer. Analyse the information you have , make a decision and follow it through.

  91. Eeman said on November 8, 2009 at 5:47 pm

    Hello Ian,

    Nice to see your suggestions and advices. I’m from Pakistan and have just been positively assessed by Engineers Australia. I’m a Chemical Engineer by profession and have been working in Saudi Arabia since last 2 years.

    According to my consultant, an application will now be submitted to DIAC. I just want to ask about the duration DIAC takes in processing application. Also, what necessarily will DIAC require in assessing my application ?

    Thanks in advance.

  92. ianlittle said on November 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm

    Eeman – I cannot provide immigration advice. Firstly get hold of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) Booklet 6 on General Skilled Migration. Follow the links from our FAQ page.

    For more information read the Visa processing times article and links to DIAC FAQs. article blog page.

    See a registered migration agent after you have read all that infromation.

  93. Fherry said on November 11, 2009 at 12:36 pm

    Hi Ian,
    i’d like to know when the age will be “frozen” when i am gonna apply the residency. it is when the application accepted and acknowledge by the immigration or when the application has been appointed to an accessor.
    thank you

    Fherry – Get a copy of Booklet 6 from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Follow the links from our FAQ page. If the answer is not in that, contact a registered migration agent.

  94. Dhronal Shah said on November 12, 2009 at 2:43 am

    Hello Ian,

    I’m applying for general skilled migrant (sponsored – family). I satisfy most of the requirements except that I don’t have any work experience related to my field of application. I’ve Master’s in Accounting and have work experience in engineering. I satisfy the points system but not the basis work requirement of 1 year. What should I do?

    Dhronal – Consider applying as a different occupation. I presume you are an engineer. For engineering occupations your qualifications are based on your undergraduate qualification. Can you complete an engineering CDR?

  95. Saad said on November 22, 2009 at 4:01 am


    I have got a 2 year experience as a substation design engineer (primary design) and have got a bachelor’s in electrical engineering. Although the engineers Australia site states that you need a 3 year experience to be eligible to apply still some consultants in my country say that you can even get a positive assessment with a year experience, others disagree.

    Kindly advise that whether I should stick around for one year more or file in my application. Secondly is training period included in the experience cause here in Siemens we have a year training for which we get a designation of trainee engineer and after that we are promoted to executive engineer.

    Your reply will be really helpful in my planning as currently I am in state of confusion.

    Best regards,

  96. ianlittle said on November 22, 2009 at 11:17 am

    Saad – I think there may be some confusion between what Engineers Australia call stage 1 and stage 2 competency.

    Stage 1 = basic educational qualification
    stage 2 = Chartered engineer competency CPEng

    For qualification assessment for immigration you only have to satisfy stage 1 competency. Stage 1 is having the baisc engineering education for a professional engineer; equivalent to an Australian 4 years university degree after 12 years school education. This is all you need, so you can apply now. There is no compulsory work experience requirement for stage 1 competency assessment, but some work experience will help you provide a source for writing the career episode reports.

    For chartered engineer status (CPEng) and full membership of Engineers Australia you need to demonstrate stage 2 competencies. It is unlikely this can be demonstrated with less than 3 years work experience. This can include any post graduate training period. Many larger Australian companies have similar graduate training programs.

  97. Mohamed Liackat Raza said on November 22, 2009 at 7:44 pm

    I am Mohamed Liackat Raza.I am Electronics and Instrumentaion Engineer with 2.5 years experience in Cement Plant Automation.I want to apply for Australia Permanent Residance Visa. Sholud i write CDR before applying for General Skilled Migrants Visa.

  98. ianlittle said on November 22, 2009 at 9:01 pm

    Mohamed – It is essential to have your qualifications assessed before you apply for a general skilled migrant visa.

  99. sunny said on November 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm

    I am Sunny , I am a garduate in Mechanical Engineer post which I completed my MBA(marketing) from Deakin Melbourne. After I finished MBA I came back to my hometown(India). The MBA was 1.5yrs although I was in Australia for 2yrs and now am in India for about an year and I have been working in a Engineering Firm as a Mechanical Engineer for about a year now.
    My question is will be eligible for PR under independent skilled migrant and also would like if there are alternatives for me to apply for PR other than skilled migrant entry.
    Thank You,

    Sunny – I cannot see why not. Read Booklet 6 from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) Follow the links from our FAQ page. From the publications you will see other booklets on the other types of migration paths. The bset path is to be sponsored. Read Project Australia to get a lot of ideas about this.

  100. Husain said on December 1, 2009 at 8:12 pm

    Dear Ianlittle,
    I a Mechanical Engineer with 4.8 years experience.
    My area of experience has been in CAD/ CAM , PLM technologies catering to Aero and Auto industries. But my profile involves technology with the domain remaining mechanical/ process related. I use a lot of IT tools and PLM packages. But I am nowhere realted to pure IT ( i.e. Programming / Databse etc ). I am more fo a functional analyst with the kind of role that I play in my organization.
    Since my responsibilties are that of an Implementor of PLM packages for the Mechanical Industry would it result in a Positive assesment by Engineers Australia. I also have a IELTES score oof 7.5 .
    According to my designation what Role should I submit my assesment for .
    ( Engineeer Professional/ Engineering technologist/ manager )
    Thank You

    Husain – If I was you I would apply for accreditation as a professional engineer. Make sure you demonstrate the engineering competencies as defined by Engineers Australia in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. Relate your skills to mechanical engineering using the IT side of things as tools to achieve mechanical engineering design. IKL

  101. Gail said on December 10, 2009 at 12:17 pm


    I am a 2006 Computer Engineering graduate yet my experience for almost 3 years is in Production Engineering. I’ve worked in 2 manufacturing companies here in my country. I lost my 2nd job due to recession and was forced to look for another job outside the Manufacturing industry. I have now landed a job in IT which is relevant to my pursued studies back in the university. I am trying to apply for a General Skilled Migrants Visa. What are the chances of me passing the EA assessment if currently my experience is nowhere related to my applied Occupation which is Production/Plant Engineer.
    Please do advise. I really do not want to invest my time and money on something I will eventually fail. :(
    Thank you.

  102. ianlittle said on December 10, 2009 at 1:00 pm

    Gail – Computer engineers are assessed under electronics engineer ASCO category. I would suggest you look at applying in this occupation. Your would have no hope applying as a production engineer as this does not match your qualifications. Remember the Engineers Australia qualifications assessment is not about having to demonstrate years of work experience. You must have undergraduate qualifications appropriate to the occupation you are applying as demonstrate the competencies through career episode reports.

    Before committing a large amount of time and effort, do a CDR outline. Select your three topics and do an outline (ten single line points) for each and assess the competencies each CER will demonstrate. Complete the Summary Statement before you start writing the detail CERs. This will help you make sure you are not demonstrating one competency several times and missing out on others.

    Relevant work experience will help get you more points towards a general skilled migrant visa.

  103. Fherry said on December 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm

    HI Ian,

    I am just wondering if you could give me some insight what would be the close related occupation in mechanical engineering.

    I know this question is not related o this forum, but at least this will give me an idea to claim the point. I just want to know a draftsmen in tank fabrication industry and a CNC programmer for sheetmetal could be cstegorized as the occupation closely related the ME.


  104. ianlittle said on December 12, 2009 at 6:41 pm

    Fherry – These occupations would fit under the mechanical engineering technologist or associate occupations. This will depend on the number of years of training and the type of work experience to be able to demonstrate the relevant competencies. The Australian assessment system is based on skills of the engineering discipline and level, not on specific industry skills. Design of tanks requires mechanical competencies.

  105. Raza said on December 14, 2009 at 5:05 pm

    I have graduated in Software Enginering. My Major subjects are related to Electrical, Electronics & Telecom. In our country my Degree Lies in the filed of Telecom & Computer Systems Engineering. I am working as RF Engineer for last three years in a Telecom Vendor. I have read a document Skilled Occupation List (SOL) which mentions only Electrical & Electronics Degrees. In which category Engineers Australia would place me if i apply for Migration as a skilled worker. thanks

    Raza – You would fit under the broad occupation of an electronics engineer. This includes computer and telecommunications engineers. Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) websit to see the definition of occupations. Follow the links from our FAQ page.

  106. Raza said on December 14, 2009 at 9:42 pm

    According to definition i qualify for Electronics Engineer. If i apply for assessment my degree name is going to matter or they would check the subjects i have studied in University? What step should is follow to be assessed as Electronics Engineer ? How much work experience matter ?


  107. ianlittle said on December 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm

    Raza – Have you done an IELTS test? Tour first step should be to make sure your Emglish is at a minimum of IELTS in each category. Without that you will have difficilty writing the career episodes and will have trouble getting a job in Australia. The transcript, which you must submit, will have the subjects you studied. Experience is not counted. Engineers Australia assess your competency from your CDR. With more relevant experience you will find it easier to write good CERs.

  108. Fherry said on December 15, 2009 at 7:35 pm

    HI Ian,

    I am a bit confuse about the certified true copy. IT stated that should have the contact details of the person certifying the dosument. However in New Zealand, when a JP certify a document, he or she only stamp their Register number, sign, name and date and acknowledge that the document is true and The bottom line is most Justice of Peace in NZ never give their address or email or phone, only JP register number…is this going to be bad for Australia Engineer?

    thank you.

  109. ianlittle said on December 15, 2009 at 8:15 pm

    Fherry – This will be OK . The number allows the JP to be verified.

  110. Wahi said on December 24, 2009 at 5:57 am

    My skills and qualification have been assessed by Engineers Australia both as Electrical Engineer (ASCO 2125-11) and Electronics Engineer (ASCO 2125-13).
    I have experience in telecommunication which is sub area of Electrical Engineering which is clearly mentioned on Engineers Australia, and other well reputed websites around world. Keeping it in view I applied for Electrical Engineer in GSM 175 category. But later found in ASCO list that tasks related to telecommunication lies in ASCO 2125-13.
    Please advice.

  111. ianlittle said on December 24, 2009 at 10:46 am

    Wahi – A telecommunications engineer can fall in the electronics or electrical engineering category, or even in the ICT category. The ASCO definitions put telecommunications in the electronics occupation category. Graduates in electrical engineering from Melbourne University now-days tend to have majored in telecommunications engineering rather than power electrical engineering.

    In the end it does not matter. As in your case, Engineers Australia will nominate the occupation categories you fit. There is no restriction on the jobs you can apply for, after you arrive in Australia, based on you nominated occupation category. Your visa application as an electrical engineer is supported by qualification accreditation from Engineers Australia.

  112. Wahi said on December 24, 2009 at 6:26 pm

    Thank you very for your kind advice. I was just thinking for changing occupation. Now I keep it as it is with the hope that every thing would go smoothly.
    Another thing that I have applied online. Should I attach CV in online application along with other documents.

    Your kind advice will be appreciated.

    Best Regards


  113. ianlittle said on December 24, 2009 at 7:27 pm

    Wahi – I cannot give advice on visa applications. You will need to talk to a licensed migration agent or to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

  114. Gail said on January 2, 2010 at 6:53 am

    Hi Sir,

    Happy New Year!

    Thank you very much for your advise.

    When I approached this agency that I currently am working with right now, I suggested that I would be using the Production/Plant Engineer based on my work experience. During the agency’s assessment, I got 140 points and they proposed the Skilled 176 Visa (State sponsored). I had also passed the minimum requirement of 7.0 band on each of the 4 aspects in the IELTS test.

    Electronics Engineer was the suggested occupation by the agency, problem is, when I compared both the Production and Electronics Engineers’ duties, Majority of my responsibilities were leaning toward Production Engineer. I’ve informed them about it and they said that the Production/Plant Engineer would likely be the assessment from EA, so I proceeded with my CDR using the Production/Plant Engineer occupation. Would they automatically disapprove my application for skills assessment once they see that my undergraduate qualifications are of a Computer Engineer’s as opposed to my experience of Production/Plant Engineer or is there even a slight chance of EA considering my application?

    Your advise would definitely be appreciated. Thank you very much!

    Best regards,

  115. ianlittle said on January 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm

    Gail – I would have advised you to seek qualifications assessment in the occupation you have the university qualifications for. I think you have not understoood how the qualifications assessment works. It is not about your work experience or the job title you have, or what jobs you may be able to get. Qualifications assessment by Engineers Australia requires you to demonstrate you have the formal training and can apply the skills for the occupation you have nominated. You must demonstrate you have the competencies at the level and in the branch of engineering you nominate. It does not matter about the majority of your skills. All you need to do is demonstrate the basic competencies of a graduate engineer in your nominated occupation.

    I have no idea how Engineers Australia will assess your application.

  116. Siva said on January 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm

    i have graduated in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I am working in electrical field as Maintenance Engineer for 14 months. I like to apply for General Skilled Migration in Australia. I want to apply for Engineers Australia for skill assessment. A agent says if u produce experience certificate in Electrical , you need to pass a qualifying exam in electrical other than IELTS. If there is any legal requirement for electrical engineers to write exam for assessment based on my qualification and experience. please reply me…..

  117. ianlittle said on January 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

    Siva – I would advise you to seek an alternative migration agent as the one you are dealing with does not seem to understand what you need to do. You do not need to do an exam. Download a copy of the Migration Skills Assessment booklet form the Engineers Ausralia website. Also go to our FAQ page and dowload information from the sites referenced there. If you do not have an Australian degree or a degree from a Washington Accord university you will have what is called a ” non-recognised” qualification. This will mean you need to prepare a competency demonstartion report (CDR). Engineers in Queensland and in some specialist areas need to be registered. As a junior engineer you should be able to get a job without being registered.

  118. siva said on January 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm

    thank you, for your clarification its really useful

  119. cpn76 said on January 5, 2010 at 7:48 am

    I am an electrical building services engineer from the UK, i have a full trade certificate as an electrician (4 years apprenticeship) and have been working as consultant for over 12 years. The problem is i do not have formal engineering qualifications (i.e. diploma or degree level), if i completed a CDR and submitted it to the Engineers Australia will in be considered or will it be rejected due to lack of qualifications?


  120. ianlittle said on January 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

    Carl – Not a chance of being recognised as an engineer without any formal qualification. You would need to seek recognition as a tradesman. This would not restrict the types of jobs you could apply for once you immigrated unless you are in the building design area where you would need to be licensed as a registered building practicioner.

  121. tavo said on January 9, 2010 at 6:14 am

    Hi Ian,
    I’ve been assessed as an Industrial Engineer ASCO 2129-19 positive @ EAInstitute. However this is neither in CSL nor MODL. So i read that someone else and a similar case asked the EAInstitute for a “re-assessment” for Production Engineer (2126-13). I’ve read the skills and description and I believe that my experiences is related to that.

    My questions:
    1.- How much time will it take to re-asssess?.
    2.- Do you think this is plausible?
    3.- If I’m cleared by the EA, do i have to prove to the DIAC that my current job description is under that same ASCO description? (or by executing the tasks of the ASCO will be fine, although my current job description (for more than 3 years) is not close to the ASCO description???

    Thanks in advance,

  122. ianlittle said on January 9, 2010 at 11:17 pm

    Tavo – I would expect a re-assessment to take the same time as the original assessemt (12 weeks or more). I would think it would be plausible as the production and industrial engineering course are related, depending on specific courses and experience. DIAC will accept the Engineers Australia skills assessment, but you will have to deal with DIAC on relevant work experience for visa points. You could have trouble getting points for recent relevant experience. You may be able to sort this out in your CV. Talk with a registered migration agent.

  123. Rajeev said on January 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

    Hi Ian,
    i completed my metallurgical engineering in 1999 (National Institute of Technology, Tirucirapalli)and worked as a Management Trainee in a foundry company for 2 years. I migrated to New Zealand and worked as IT professional for 6 years and recently moved to Australia. I would like to restart my career as a metallurgical engineer. Please advise me whether i need to register with Australia engineers Association to get employment.Kindly note that my engineering qualification is assessed by South Australia.Thank you.
    Best Regards,

  124. ianlittle said on January 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

    Rajeev – I wish you luck. This will not be easy as there is not a large demand for metallurgists. Registration or licensing is only required in Queensland and for specialist areas such as building and fire engineering. The South Australian assessment will be recognised by potential employers, but not by Engineers Australia.

  125. Serioschka said on January 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

    Hey Ian,

    I got my receipt of notification from Engineers Australia 16 weeeks ago and I’m still waiting for the result (professional engineer), so I’m becoming nervous. Should I contact Engineers Australia? What would you suggest?


  126. ianlittle said on January 14, 2010 at 3:12 am

    Serioschka – Be patient and wait . A response should not be far away. It will be sent by surface mail, which could take a month. There will also be delays due to the holiday period.

  127. K.M. Motahar Hossain said on January 17, 2010 at 4:20 am

    This is really a helpful site for immigration to Australia. I have B.Sc Engg degree on Computer Science & Engineering. But I have 5 years of experience in Core Switching in Telecomminication field. I have already got assessment from ACS as Computing Professional – NEC. But they did not assessed me in Network Security which could be a MODL / CSL in my category. I made appeal but not success. I have already passed 1 year after applying for assessment. As I do not have alternative so now I am thinking of applying to Engineers Australia in Electronic Engineering. As I have 5 years of experience in Telecommunication switching and the job responsibilities fully matches with Electronic Engineers. So my question is if I can apply for Electronic Engineer according to my work experience though my B.Sc Engineering degree is on Computer Science & Engineering. Please note that my course of studies also includes Electronic Engineering courses in every semester. Please suggests me.


  128. ianlittle said on January 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm

    Motohar – Telecommunications engineering is part of electronic engineering – so yes go for it. It is a blurred area between IT and electronics engineering an assessment depends on each individuals case. Your are on the right track to follow the ABS definitions.

  129. Salman said on January 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

    Kindly do let me know that Petroleum Production engineer and Production Engineer/Plant Engineer ASCO 2126-13 is same thing?

  130. ianlittle said on January 30, 2010 at 1:37 pm

    Salman – Look at the definition of the duties of a production engineer on the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website. Follow the limks from our FAQ blog page. Note that the description is not industry specific. If your training and work roles fit then you should apply for recognition as a production engineer. If they do not match look at other similar occupations such as chemical engineer on the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) website..

  131. Johnny said on February 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm

    I am a Computer Engineer by profession and working in a cellular operator as a support engineer (since a year).I just wanted to know that should i apply for assesement with engineers australia now or wait for my experience to build up a little?Which way do i have a better chance?

  132. ianlittle said on February 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

    Johnny – You chances of succesful migration and getting a job will be greatly improved if you have 5 years plus experience. Having said that, the whole process could take three years. I think you probably need a couple of years experience doing real engineering to be able to write a CDR. A major factor is you level of English – whci looks a lot better than much that i see.

  133. ABBIE said on February 4, 2010 at 3:09 am


  134. ianlittle said on February 4, 2010 at 10:03 am

    Abbie – I would expect they would take their guidance from the ACS assessment – 20 months.

  135. John said on February 24, 2010 at 4:55 am

    Hi Ian. I am currently working as a Transport Planner/Modeller in the UK and have an MSc in Transport Engineering and Planning. The MSc is recognised as an accredited qualification by the Sydney accord. Would a Transport Planner/Modeller be recognised as a ‘Civil Engineer’ or an ‘Urban and Regional Planner’? My current role involves aspects of both engineering (highway design capacity assessment, traffic modelling, traffic signals etc) and planning. Preferably I would be classed as a Civil Engineer as I would have the required points for an independent skilled migrant visa but from what i understand i wouldnt be able to go down the ‘accredited qualification’ route as my qualification is post-graduate and not undergraduate. Could i go down the CDR route with my MSc qualification? And if i was granted a visa as a Civil Engineer would i have to work under a job title of a Transport Planner/Modeller given the overlap in role duties?


  136. ianlittle said on February 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm

    John – Once you have a visa you can do whatever you like, and be called whatever you like (within reason). You do not get thrown out for not working in your nominated occupation.
    As your qualification is recognised by the Sydney Accord you will be accredited as an engineering technologist without the need to do a CDR. That may not help if it does not get enough visa points. You could apply as a transport engineer under the engineer (nec) category (nec = not elsewhere classified) I think you would pass as a civil engineer. If you have not already done so, go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website and see the detailed definitions. The links are available from our FAQ blog page. Going the CDR route you will be assessed on your undergraduate degree.

  137. Sharayu said on March 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

    Hi ,

    I am a electronics and telecommunication engineer.But i am working as a software developer in java/j2ee for last 4 years.
    On of the agent over here told me that i would need 6 years of experience to be eligible for an offshore GSM 175 visa and another told that 4 years is enough.

    Could you please tell me how many years of experience is required since my qualification and work are not completely relevant to each other ??

  138. ianlittle said on March 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm

    Sharayu – Go to our FAQ blog page and follow the links to the Australian Computer Society (ACS) website. The experience you require depends on your qualifications, and will get down to specific subjects studied. The ACS guidelines provide the details for you to assess your position.

  139. Jon said on April 9, 2010 at 6:39 am


    I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in electronic and communication. After that, I worked for 6 months with a telecommunications company as a test engineer (prepaid system migration project) and I have just recently graduated with a masters in telecommunications (uni of new south wales).

    Currently, I have just started working as a software engineer.

    I plan to apply for permanent residency in Australia. Is it possible for me to get a skill assessment from Engineers Australia for the Electronic Engineer occupation?

    and my plan is to work for a year as a software engineer and then use that to meet the recent work experience criteria under the computing professionals occupation?

    Thanks in advance.

  140. ianlittle said on April 9, 2010 at 11:28 am

    Jon – Sounds like you have a good plan. You should apply to Engineers Australia for qualifications assessment. Get the details from their website. Look for the application from within Australia. It is different from the offshore application for accreditation. Work on your employer to sponsor your application to get it over with quickly. see information booklets from the publications section of the DIAC website.

  141. Jon said on April 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

    Hi Ian,

    Thanks for your reply. My current location is actually not in Australia so therefore I believe I have to apply for skills assessment using the CDR path?

  142. ianlittle said on April 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm

    Jon – Correct

  143. Rizwan said on May 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

    Hi ianlittle

    I have done a 3 years Diploma in Electrical Engg after 10+2 from India and I have 16 years of work experience into LV/MV Switchgear design, proposal & sales area in UAE. Also as a hobby, I got into development of excel based automated engineering applications for design & proposal preparation of switchgear which as compared to MNCs softwares is much better & convenient. I want to apply for immigration but I am a it hesitant & not sure whether I qualify or not. Can I have a word of advice from you. Thanks

  144. ianlittle said on May 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm

    Rizwan – Provided you can demonstrate the competencies in a CDR you should be able to be accredited as an engineering technologist. In preparing your CDR you will need to concentrate on the engineering aspects of the application you have developed, not the software skills required. The switchgear industry in Australia is not large so there will be limited employment job opportunities.

  145. Suluman usman said on May 23, 2010 at 4:00 am

    Dear ianlittle,
    I am a Chemical engineer with one year experience as a design engineer in EPC company dealing in oil and gas sector.What are the chances for me to get PR of Australia and also i have to first focus on CDR or i have to do ielts first.

  146. ianlittle said on May 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

    Suluman – You should be able to get your qualifications accredited to be eligible for general skilled migration. You need to have done an IELTS to submit the test details to Engineers Australia as part of your CDR application. It makes more sense to me to write your career episode reports first so that you do your IELTS at the latest possible date (because it is only valid for two years.) If you do not pass the IELTS test all you will have wasted is your time.

  147. Catalin said on May 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

    Hi ianlittle, I’m a 43 years old, BSc Computer Science with experience in banking environment, IT departments and now i following Cisco Network Academy. I believe that in lat june i will have my CCNA certification. Afterward i will follow Juniper Network Academy and i hope that i will take my certification in late july. Do you think that i’m qualified for skilled migration? Thank you in advance!

  148. ianlittle said on May 23, 2010 at 6:52 pm

    Catalin – I would think you should be able to get a positive qualifications assessment from the Australian Computer Society (ACS) . Go to their website and check out the accreditation requirements.

  149. emily said on May 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm

    Hi ianlittle, I am a licensed Civil Engineer in the Philippines with 5 years relevant experience, however, that was about 4 years ago. I am employed as a Quantity Surveyor almost 4 years now in the Middle East, but i don’t have a degree in QS. Do you think i can still apply/ qualify for EA skills assessment even though my engineering experience had been 4 years past? Thank you in advance!

  150. ianlittle said on May 30, 2010 at 11:42 pm

    Emily – You will not be able to be accredited as a quantoity surveyor so engineering is a better path. You still should be able to be accredited as am engineer. Obviously for visa purposes you will not get any points for recent relevant experience.

  151. IGD said on June 8, 2010 at 5:31 pm

    Hi Ian,

    As mentioned to you in other blog, I’m a mechanical design engineer for 10 years now. I sent my CDR to engineers australia a few weeks ago. I also mentioned in my recent reply to you that my application for state sponsorship in Victoria was denied. I’m currently looking into other states in Australia to sponsor me for 176 visa and I’m wondering if you can advise me on what state in Australia other than Victoria where my skills are in demand and willing to sponsor me in 176 scheme. I tried to do some research over the internet about this but was not able to find any answer so far.

    Thanks in advance.


  152. ianlittle said on June 8, 2010 at 8:10 pm

    IGD – Getting a visa is one thing. Getting a job is will be a lot harder for you as the manufacturing sector is declining. Australia buys household appliances from Asia. New South Wales would probably be the only other State worth considering.

  153. IGD said on June 17, 2010 at 1:11 am

    Hi Ian,

    I checked out New South Wales and currently, the state is not sponsoring mechanical engineers. I found that South Australia is currently sponsoring mechanical engineers which I think I will try when I get my skills assessment results from Engineers Australia. They have defence, advance manufacturing and automotive industry in Adelaide which is good for me.

    What do you think?

    Thanks and regards,

  154. ianlittle said on June 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm

    IGD – You will not be eligible for defence positions until you have permanent residency. So you will not get a job in that sector initially. The automotive industry is not very secure. This is a strat. You can always apply for a visa with less restrictions later. A state visa limits you to that state, so if you cannot find a job there you have a problem.

  155. IGD said on June 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

    Hello Ian,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I’m planning to apply for 176(state sponsorship) or 175(independent) visa which I think are both permanent residence visas according to DIAC website. If that’s the case, I will be eligible for defence positions when I get there. Please let me know if I missed something about permanent residency issue.
    BTW, you are correct about the restrictions of state sponsored visa but it’s woth the risk as long as it’s a calculated risk. A lot of research needs to be done ahead before choosing the state. As of now, I’m looking into which state are willing to sponsor me, research the companies inside the state and possible employers, and last resort is to apply as independent visa for less restrictions.



  156. R2D2 said on June 24, 2010 at 6:00 pm

    G’day Ian,

    Firstly, found this blog very informative. I had a quick question, I have been studying bachelors in automotive engineering at RMIT for the past 3 years now and will be starting with my final semester… was wondering whether automotive engineering is on the SOL.. i did not find ‘automotive engineering’ specifically but the SOL lists pretty much every other form of engineering…would it fall under mechanical engineering at all?
    am planning to study further, but would like to get permanent residency first as it would drastically reduce educational expenses.


  157. ianlittle said on June 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm

    R2D2 – mmmm?? Automotive engineering is not listed in the ASCO or ANSCO codes. So mechanical is probably the closest occupation. You could send an email to Engineers Australia and ask them.

  158. RAZA said on June 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

    i am raza….whats the minimum IELTS score for applying Australian skilled independant visa.I have scored 6 out of 9 whether i am eligible to apply..
    plz help……

  159. ianlittle said on June 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm

    Raza – The IELTS score required depends on your occupation. see the skills assessment requirements for your occupation.

Leave a comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Australia — Anecdotes. Answers. Advice. Get a free update in your inbox.

* denotes a required field
First Name:
Last name:
* Email Address:

Privacy protection promise — your details are 100% safe and secure.

Our books

G'day Boss

G'day Boss!
Australian Culture and the Workplace

Land That Job

Land That Job:
The Fast-Track to Job Success

Networking In Australia

Start Smart:
Networking In Australia

Engaging Recruiters in Australia

Start Smart:
Engaging Recruiters in Australia