CDR Writing Style for Engineers Australia – An Example

A competency demonstration report (CDR) requires migrant engineers applying to Engineers Australia to write three career episode reports (CERs). Here is an example of writing style for a career episode report (CER). This example is taken from Engineers Australia website.

The purpose of the CDR is to demonstrate:
• how you have applied your engineering knowledge and skills;
• that such application meets the competency standards of the relevant occupational category in Australia.

Your CER is to be printed on A4 sheets, in English, in narrative form, using the first person singular and should describe the specific contributions you have made.

This example is taken from the Engineers Australia Handbook – Chartered Status A HANDBOOK FOR APPLICANTS. You can download an electronic copy of this handbook from the Engineers Australia website.


(For additional example CERs please refer to
Professional Engineer

Career Episode Title: Switch Board Upgrade Acme Widgets Competency Element Claimed
Dates of Career Episode: 25.02.98 – 3.10.98
The project consisted of upgrading the main switchboard for the Acme Widget Company. It was my responsibility to determine the total power requirements for the new plant, calculate the power consumption of the existing plant and determine the maximum available power supplied through an existing board and the 11kV/415V transformer.After analysing the available information, I deduced that at least three alternatives for powering the new plant existed. A separate 11kV feeder could be brought onto the site to energise a new transformer and main board, the existing main board could be replaced with a new board or the existing main board could be upgraded. The last two options required the feeder cables to the main board to be upgraded.
Technically, all three options were acceptable, although the first two allowed for a greater flexibility for expansion in future years.I prepared estimates for each of the options. The client engineer indicated that minimising the capital cost of the plant was of a higher priority than enhanced flexibility for expansion. On this basis, I issued a written recommendation indicating that, although other technical solutions existed, the upgrading of the main board involved the lowest capital cost and still provided the new plant with sufficient power requirements. The client accepted this option.I selected and sized power cables using Powerpack software. I simulated the limits in current-carrying capacity and length of runs on the basis of voltage drop using this tool. I also performed simulation of the maximum number of cables that could be installed on a single cable ladder and in underground conduits.For the PLC system I applied a functional specification already in use by our Company. A subsection of this specification listed requirements of a Factory Acceptable Test (FAT) to be conducted at the configuration supplier’s premises. I designed this test, the aim of which was to provide the consulting engineer with a reasonable confidence in the PLC software before it was installed and commissioned on-site. In a controlled environment and using the same PLC system hardware configuration to be installed on-site, various input signals were generated through a test rig to simulate field instruments. PLC outputs were recorded to verify the intended operation of the PLC program, as specified in the functional specification.
During the test, a number of problems surfaced with the configuration. The client engineer was present at the test and, after consultation with him, I gave recommendations and directions to the PLC programmer to overcome perceived problems and improve operation of the plant.
E3.1 – Determines engineering requirementsC2.3 – Implements planning and design processC2.4 -
Reviews the design to achieve acceptance
Signature of Candidate:
Candidate’s Verifier/s Name:
Engineering Qualifications: (or Engineers Australia Membership Number)
I verify that the above narrative is a true account of the candidates own work

The elements claimed in the above example are for a chartered status application.  The competency elements for qualifications assessment for migration are given in the Migration Skills Assessment Handbook.

Members of Engineers Australia are able to access further examples of CERs from the Engineers Australia website :

Skip to comment form »

  1. ianlittle said on March 12, 2009 at 11:07 am

    Tauseef – I am afraid an average is not good enough. You must have 6 or more in all categories. So you have to repeat the test and get 6 or more in the writing.

  2. rehan said on January 7, 2009 at 4:45 am

    i have done my B-Tech in Mrchanical Technology(2 years) from Universiy Of Engineering and Technology Lahore,Pakistan in 2005, previously i have completed my Associate Diploma in Mechanical Technology (3years).I have more than 8 years after diploma. i need help for recognition of my degree.

    I have confusion in choosing the category that either in Professional Engineer or Mechanical Associate.

    I need to apply in skill migration, please guide.

    Rehan Idrees

  3. ianlittle said on January 7, 2009 at 10:11 am

    Rehan – If your B-Tech is equivalent to a 4 year engineering degree, which I suspect it is, you should apply as a professional engineer. You will need to do a competency demonstration report (CDR) with 3 career episodes. If Engineers Australia do not accept your qualification or CDR as equivalent to a professional engineer they will advise you of the recognition level as an engineering technologist or engineering associate. The levels are explained in Section A.2 of the Migration Skills Assessment booklet available from the Engineers Australia website.

    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.

    Go to the ASRI website –
    Once you have selected your occupation code you need to go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website to obtain a fuller description of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

    I am running a series of blog articles on writing career episodes (CERs). Go back to our home page and register to be kept informed.

  4. Srini said on February 15, 2009 at 11:39 pm


    I am a civil engineer with a relevant experience of 3.5 years. i am in the initial process of applying for skilled migrant visa. I have cleared my IELTS in Academic module with 7.5, 6, 6.5, 6.5 in the respective facets.

    Please clarify it to me

    a) if i can use this (academic module) for the visa process or i have to write the IELTS again in the General Training Module.

    b) Is it for sure that IELTS general training module with 7 in each facet shall only be useful to get a job there in australia.

    Please reply…..thanks a lot….

  5. ianlittle said on February 16, 2009 at 1:42 am

    Srini – The academic IELTS test is a higher level than the general test. You will not have to repeat the test. It is not essential to have an IELTS of 7 in all facets. There are some areas where it may be required. Experience shows that the better your English is, the easier it will be for you to get a job.
    My personal view is that a level of IELTS 7 should be the minimum.
    Work hard on your English as you prepare to migrate . Project Australi: Land that Engineering Job in Australia provides many useful tips on how you can do this and learn the Australian engineering language..

  6. Srini said on February 16, 2009 at 2:42 am


    Please tell the ideal requirements of preparing a CDR in terms of number of words and/or pages per episode.


  7. ianlittle said on February 16, 2009 at 8:32 am

    Srini – The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on the format and length of the career episode reports. Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :

    As a guide, each CER should be made up of:

    Introduction: 50 words
    Background: 200 – 500 words
    Personal engineering activity: 500 – 1000 words
    Summary: 50 – 100 words

  8. Srini said on February 16, 2009 at 8:01 pm

    Dear Madam,

    Thank you very much for your comments……

  9. Aakash said on February 19, 2009 at 9:13 pm

    I have done my Bachelors of Engineering (4 yrs) in Electronics & Telecommunication.Currently I have been working in a Steel Manufacturing Industries (Electrical & Automation section).Have taken IELTS academic module (overall 7.0,S=6.5/R=8.0,W=7.0,L=7.0).I’m going to university of New South Wales on student visa this july.Well, My work-experience is only 8 months now, which will be 12 months or 1 yr. in the month of july.So, should I apply for skill assessment now so that I would be able to apply for PR after I reach Australia in July ( On student Visa )??

    I came up with this thought because I want to secure a PR visa before they change the rules again. Moreover a PR visa will allow me to be regarded as a local student in the University hence giving me less fee benefits.

    PS: Correct me where I’m wrong. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.
    Thank you.

  10. ianlittle said on February 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm

    Aakash – Check with a migration agent, but as I see it – whatever you are studying will not help you towards visa points for two years. Also, you do not qualify for work experience points. (see DIAC Booklet 6.)
    I agree with your thinking. It will be easier for you to do your CDRs now while all is fresh in your mind and you can get the work experience episodes validated easily.

  11. Olayinka Jolayemi-Owolewa said on March 9, 2009 at 9:11 pm

    I am a B.ENG degree holder in Mechanical Engineering from one of the Nigerian universities.I am about embarking on immigrating to Australia but I need my Nigerian qualification to be assessed.When I mailed migration skilled assessment team on what to do so as to have my overseas qualification assessed,I was told I will have to write a competency demonstration report,continuing professional development as well as three career episode reports.Please I need you to clarify this to me.Is CDR different from the CER writting?If yes,please give clues as to how I can write good CDR and CERs.I also need clues as to how the continuing professional development should look like.I was also told I would submit a copy of my transcript and testamur.For the transcript,no problem but I seem not to know what they mean by testamur.Please clarify a of these to me as I am hurriedly in need of this details so as to enable me have my overseas degree assessed as soon as possible.Thanks in advance.Hope to hear from you soonest

  12. ianlittle said on March 9, 2009 at 9:15 pm

    Olayinka – First off you need the guidelines.
    The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on the format and length of the career episode reports. Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :
    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.

    Go to the ASRI website –
    Once you have selected your occupation code you need to go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website to obtain a fuller description of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

    A Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) is a collection of documents. Three CERs are part of the CDR. Go to this blog.
    There are a number of blog articles in the Qualifications Assessment section of the blog.

    The continuing professional development (CPD) is only a list of courses, training, professional engineering events and self learning activities you have done since completing your engineering undergraduate course. A 3 column table would work with the date, the activity and the number of hours of CPD you are claiming for eaqch activity.

    A testamur is a certificate or official letter which is official eveidence of having completed a course or training. Your university degree is a testamur.

    I am running a series of blog articles on writing career episodes (CERs). Go back to our home page and register to be kept informed.

  13. Tauseef said on March 12, 2009 at 3:21 am

    Sir I want to know if have my IELTS score L= 6 , R=6 , W=5.5 and speaking 6.5 ( Academic ) and commulative 6 then can I apply for Visa of not?
    Kindly help ..

  14. Govind said on March 12, 2009 at 11:24 am


    I have done Diploma in Tool & Die making and had applied for Skilled worker visa and had my my medical almost, due to address changes, I missed the due date. Subsequently I enhanced my qualification to BSc in Information Systems. Though I continued my profession in Mechanical Engineering and am currently working in USA for Caterpillar as Senior Engineer in Mechanical field. I have around 13 years of experience and one my mechanical design has been applied for patent. Can I get my competency evaluated for Professional engineer with a Bachelor’s degree in other field. My diploma is considered as equivalent to Diploma in Mech. Eng.

    your guidance appreciated.


  15. ianlittle said on March 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm

    Govind – As you have non-recognised qualifications it is all about competencies. For assessment you need to prepare a CDR to demonstrate:
    • how you have applied your engineering knowledge and skills
    • that such application meets the competency standards of the relevant occupational category in Australia.

    If you have very good engineering experience, demonstrated by your competencies, you may be assessed as an engineer.

    If you apply for a professional engineer assessment, and are not considered adequate, you will get an engineering technologist accreditation (provvided you meet those competencies) without having to do a separate application.

    Download the Migration Skills Assessment Handbook from the Engineers Australia website :

  16. Govind said on March 13, 2009 at 2:21 am

    Thank you very much for the well explained response.

  17. Tauseef said on March 13, 2009 at 3:34 am

    Thanks for your response…
    Onething more I wanna ask you , Currently Engineering category is in critical list…for how long it would be in critical list?
    If I file up my case in May than is it possible get assessment in short time?
    Many thanks in advance.


  18. ianlittle said on March 13, 2009 at 4:10 am

    Tauseef – I really have no idea how the government will react. t may depend on your engineering discipline. i think your Englisj level is a bigger concern.

  19. Raed said on March 14, 2009 at 2:00 am


    I would like to thank you for your great efforts.
    I am a telecom engineer, graduated 2 years ago from egypt and currently working in Saudi Arabia.
    My story is that i have a Bsc in electronics and telecommunications but frankly our work atmosphere is not that strong. Unfortunately in Saudi our engineering skills is not that highly appriciated. I mean our work experience dosent really srike others as professional engineers. However, i am only here to save money for my future plans. and migration is a big part of it. So, if i applied for a professional engineer and they granted me to lets say a lower level. Is it possible that after arriving to Australia to change the category. I plan to obtain a master degree in a relevant field, would that count?
    Another thing, I tend to talk and obviously write alot, during my CDR i am surprised that instead of the 1000 recommended word per episode, i wrote maybe 5000. Is that an up or a down ?

    Finally, My academic IELTS expires at May. Do i have to retake it. I got an overall of 7.5 (3 7s and 8.5 in Listening) and is it good enough. Also if i had to retake wont u think that a general exam would be easier to miantain higher scores or should i stick to the academic

    Thanks alot in advance

  20. ianlittle said on March 14, 2009 at 2:55 am

    Raed – Yes you do write a lot ! A 5,000 word episode report is a problem. An important writing skill is to be concise. Your episode reports must be within the limits stated by Engineers Australia; the body of a CER is 500 -1000 words.
    If you migrate as a technologist you can be reassessed in Australia. It may not be necessary to do more study. Do not pay to do more study without being certain of how it wll help you. With good work experience you can write better career episode reports and obtain accreditation.
    You have to have taken your IELTS test within 2 years of making your application for assessment to Engineers Australia.
    The general test should be easier and enable you to get hiogher scores.

  21. Karthik said on March 15, 2009 at 5:07 am

    I am an Electronic engineering graduate with 4+ yrs of work experience and have started the australian migration process ; with my wife being the main applicant .As I am the secondary applicant I would like to know whether my skills need to be accessed or do I need to take any kind of license inorder to work in Australia?
    Your help on this would be highly appreciated

  22. ianlittle said on March 15, 2009 at 6:05 am

    Kathik – I cannot advise you on migration matters. Talk to a migration agent.
    You will not need a licence to practice in Australia. In Queensland you will need to be registered if you are to take responsibility and approving designs. It will greatly help your chances of getting a job if you have your qualifications assessed by Engineers Australia. Australian employers are worried about the quality of qualifications from some overseas countries. If you can show Engineers Australia accreditation, it removes that concern.

  23. Ali said on March 17, 2009 at 12:11 am

    Dear Sir/ Madam,

    I am a 34 years old electronic engineer with over 8 years of experience in industrial automation and process control mainly in oil ans gas industry in Iran. I would appreciate if you could advise me how can i get more detail information regarding the assessment process and the application procedure and a sample of engineering CDR as a guide and reference.

    Thank you in advance.


  24. ianlittle said on March 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm

    Ali – The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.

    Go to the ASRI website –
    Once you have selected your occupation code you need to go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website to obtain a fuller description of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.
    The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on the format and length of the career episode reports. Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :
    Go to the Qualifications Assessment page on the tribus lingua blog for information on CDR writing.

  25. Narendra said on March 17, 2009 at 10:40 pm

    Dear sir
    I am narendra Patel from Ahmedabad.I have passed BE(Mechanical) in 1999.
    I have worked as a lecturer from January2001 to May 2007 in engineering college.Presently My Master of engg in continue anf to be completed in July2009.can I apply for General skill migration?

  26. ianlittle said on March 18, 2009 at 4:27 pm

    Narendra – University lecturers are not on the MODL or any other of the lists. As you have no engineering experience you will struggle to convince assessors you are an engineer. Even if you did manage to get a visa, how would youget a job in the current climate? Effectively you are an old graduate competing against Australians with good English.

    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.

    Go to the ASRI website –

    Have a look at the occupations you think you can demonstrate you have the qualifications and work experience. Note that Engineers Australia assesses you on your undergraduate qualification.

    Talk to a migration agent. They may have different ideas.

  27. Amjad said on March 20, 2009 at 1:20 am

    Dear Sir/ Madam,

    I am a 32 years old B_TECH (Hons) electronic in 2007 with over 8 years of experience in Telecommunication Pakistan. I would appreciate if you could advise me how can i get more detail information regarding the assessment process and the application procedure and a sample of engineering CDR as a guide and reference.

    Thank you in advance.

    Amjad Ali Ansari

  28. ianlittle said on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 am

    Amjad – You need to read Booklet 6: General Skilled Migration, which is available online from the booklets section of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website.

    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site also has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.
    Go to the ASRI website –

    Once you have selected your occupation code you need to go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website to obtain a fuller description of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

    The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on the format and length of the career episode reports. Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :

    There are no examples of CDRs available officially. Go to the Qualifications Assessment page on the tribus lingua blog for information on CDR writing.

    Only your work experience after you have completed your degree will be relevant for demonstrating the competencies as a professional engineer

  29. ranen saha said on March 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm

    Dear sir,

    Take my heartiest greetings!!!!!! i had completed my BSC in CIVIL from BUET and have 2 years experience.. i worked as a civil works supervisor in a Telecom vendor for seven months and then switched to Telenor(Grameenphone) as system engineer(Civil Works,Optical Fiber) working for last 1.5 year.i got 6 in ielts individually.I would like to know wheather i am elligible for PR in australia.Should i need to complete any special courses which will help me to cope with aus..environment.Pls give me some suggestion as a i am being frustrated day by day thinking of future life.

  30. ianlittle said on March 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm

    Ranen – Read my response to Amjad above.

    Do the Engineers Migrate Australia Course, that gives you practically everything you need to know.

  31. Biju said on March 25, 2009 at 7:36 pm


    I am graduate engineer in Electronics with 10 years of overall experience. I have had work experience in both as an Engineer and a Sales and Marketing Professional. Although my last 3-4 years of experience has been as an Engineer, i am confident that i would qualify.

    Once after immigration, is there a hard and fast rule that i need to work as a techie (since that has been the basis of all my scores) or can i opt for Sales and Marketing (since thats the immediate career goal that i have)?

    Any help on this is much appreciated.

  32. ianlittle said on March 25, 2009 at 8:31 pm

    Biju – There is no requirement to work in the occupation you have selected to apply for your visa. After all, you may not be able to get a job in that occupation. Only about 30% of migrants get a job similar to that which they had in their home country. Another 30% fail to get a related job. many of these will return to their homeland. Do not underestimate how hard you will have to work to get a job in Australia,even in good times. That is why I have prepared the Project Australia course.

  33. Daniel said on March 26, 2009 at 12:45 am

    Dears ;
    i am a Computer And Systems Engineers , i got my Bsc in engineersing from Egypt , also i passed Ielts exam with scores L=9 ,R= 7.5 ,S=7 , W=7 , i have 3 years and 9 months of work experience in the Telecommunications field as a Network Operation Center Engineer , my career episodes could indicate that clearly in addition to some very specific Electronics work , so i would like to know if i can apply for Engineers Australia as an Electronic Engineer to get the opportunity for priority processing ? is it any possibility that they will assess my job as Electronic engineer based on my work experience rather than a computer and systems engineer based on my qualifications ?

  34. ianlittle said on March 26, 2009 at 5:05 pm

    Daniel – This depends on the particular subjects you took in your course. For Engineers Australia to assess you as an engineer you will have to write a CDR to show competencies that demonstrate you meet the ASCO definition of an electronics engineer. It looks to me that your telecommuniccations work may look more in the ICT area. You need to look closely at the complete occupation definitions.
    The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website provides more detailed descriptions of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.
    You application for occupation assessment must be totally consistent. Your CV, your qualifications and your CDR must all show you are an electronics engineer, or if you are applying to ACS as a systems engineer they must meet that occupation description. There is no mix and match solution. Try selecting three career episodes and make notes. Then check how well this matches the occupation description.

  35. Daniel said on March 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

    thanks ianlittle for your reply,
    So , could you please tell me if there is any possible way to benefit from the priority processing based on my qualification ? i mean what is the best, fastest and shortest way to take ?


  36. ianlittle said on March 26, 2009 at 8:04 pm

    Daniel – The fastest way is to find an occupation on the MODL you fit. A sponsored 457 visa is the most realistic option. Find a company to offer you a job. Do not rush at the moment. There is very little hiring going on at the moment anywhere. Realistically you may be best to wait the 6 months or so until you meet the experience requirement as a computer engineer.

  37. mohamed dualeh said on March 28, 2009 at 8:11 pm

    why i cant see my post and no reply so far??

  38. happy said on March 29, 2009 at 1:17 am

    I am a chemical engineer and working as Sr. Process Engineer from 2 years . Can u send me some examples or format of CDRs of my field . What topics can i choose for better results. my email id is .I will be thankfull to u

  39. ianlittle said on March 29, 2009 at 9:45 am

    mohamed – I do not know. We did have some problems with the blog site last week. Please try again.

  40. ianlittle said on March 29, 2009 at 9:54 am

    Happy – Sorry I have no CDR examples. There are four sources of experience for your career episodes:
    • your undergraduate experience, in particular your project work
    • particular tasks or projects in your work
    • your general engineering work
    • specific problems you have solved
    Projectss and problem solving provide good material to demonstrate engineering competencies. CDRs are all about what you have done.

  41. mohamed said on March 30, 2009 at 2:43 am

    I want to apply for immigration visa to australia under the professionals catagory,i need your assisment to give me a guide if my qualifications and work experience match that catagory please

  42. mohamed said on March 30, 2009 at 2:44 am

    I am 32 years ,I graduated 8 years go in 2001 ,I studied Bachelor of Science in Electrical engineering majoring in Electronics from Ajman University of science and technology in United Arab Emirates.after that I worked as Electronic Technician in a goverment company in UAE,I was working as an engineer but my title was that for a technician,after that i workd in a private contracting company specialized in manufactuing water treatment plants,my job title was Electrical Engineer but my job was more into electronics like instrumentation and control systems related to the treatment plants

  43. mohamed said on March 30, 2009 at 2:45 am

    and currently I am working for an OIL and GAS goverment company for the past 1 and half year,but again my job title is INSTRUMENT TECHNICIAN although i am doing all the job that is required from an engineer.
    I have take IELTS test in last december and i got L:6.5 R:7 S:7.7 W:6.5 but its not directed to the AUSTRALIA ENGINEERS.
    so my enquiry is will my career description is enough to pass skills assessment of AUSTRALIA ENGINEERS

  44. mohamed said on March 30, 2009 at 2:51 am

    Note: how to check if the university that i graduated from is accredited in australia,worth mentioning that i corresponded an accrediation body in united states that accredited my B.SC to 4 year bachelor course,the name of the body is WORLD EDUCATION SERVICES

  45. Alex Spatarel said on March 30, 2009 at 3:19 am

    DIAC is giving processing priority only to applicants with occupations on the Critical Skills List (CSL). There are only 9 engineering occupations on the list: Civil, Chemical, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Mining and Aircraft Maintenance (Mechanical and Avionics). If you are not specialised in one of those occupations, will will have a very long time to wait for the visa, considering that the Department has also capped the intake.
    If you need immigration advice, you can write to me on ; I am a registered Migration Agent (MARN 0427447)

  46. ianlittle said on March 30, 2009 at 9:23 am

    Mohamed – For the IELTS test, all you need is the general test. There is no special IELTS test for Engineers Australia. AEI-NOOSR will asses your qualification at a cost of $450. If you are living in Australia the state Overseas Qualifications Units (OQUs) will assess qualifications as a free service. However the only assessment that matters is the assessment by Engineers Australia. Don’t waste your time or money trying anywhere else for assessment. You have two issues you need to think about : (1) getting your qualifications assessed as a professional engineer, and (2) getting an engineering job in Australia. With your work experience the jobs you are likel;y to get are as an engineering technologist. In the instrument and controls engineering field their is not a great difference between the technologists and engineering occupations.
    For assessment you need to prepare a CDR with three career episode reports that show you have the skills and abilities of a professional electrical engineer. What you job title has been is not helpful but not necessarily fatal. You need to write about the tasks you nave done which show you have engineering understanding attitudes and skills.
    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category.
    Go to the ASRI website –

    The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website provides more detailed descriptions of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

    The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on assessment requirements, competency demonstration reports (CDRs), and the format and length of the career episode reports (CERs). Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :
    The trick in writing a CDR is to demonstrate you have the competencies of your chosen occupation and level as they are defined by the ASCO definition for occupation, and by the level defined by Engineers Australia. Study these thoroughly before you start writing.

  47. mohamed said on March 30, 2009 at 10:21 am


    thanks alot dear and sorry for the multi post….i will go through the websites u gave and certainly come back in case i got an enquiry,one more ,how to check if my academic qualifications are recognised in australia will the AE also assess it along with my CDR?

  48. ianlittle said on March 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

    Mohamed – Yes Engineers Australia assess your competency by assessing both your qualifications and your CDR

  49. Amrit said on March 30, 2009 at 2:19 pm

    i have taken academic test in ielts and score 7. IS it necessary to take general test again to demostrate CDR. or academic test will be enough.

  50. ianlittle said on March 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm

    Amrit- Well done. The academic test is a higher level than the general test. It will be more than enough.

  51. Misa said on March 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm

    Dear Ian,

    I’ve got my BEng in Telecoms from a university in Russia and my MEng in IT&T in Australia.

    I intend to apply for a permanent visa under a Labour Agreement. I found some information on the website unclear and want to ask you for your help.

    In the Visa Application Checklist, the requirement for Character is
    “(Tick box) A police good conduct/character certificate for each person aged 16 years or over included in the application, for each country, including Australia, lived in for more than 12 months over the past 10 years”. However, on the page Character and penal clearance requirements it said
    “Everyone who wishes to enter Australia must be assessed against the character requirements” and “If you are applying outside Australia, you do not have to provide this information when you apply. You will be advised when it is required.
    If you are applying in Australia, you should provide this information with your application”.

    Q1: Do I have to provide police certificates when I apply? I will be applying outside Australia.

    Also, one of the requirements for qualifications and experience stated in the Visa Application Checklist is
    “(Tick box) Certified copies of all qualifications and work references.
    (Tick box) If applicable, evidence that the qualifications are recognised in Australia. If this is required, it must be provided with the application at the time it is lodged”.

    Q2: In what case it is applicable? I am not sure if I need to have my skills assessed by an skills assessing authority (EngAus) to have my qualifications recognised in Australia. Skills Assessment take so much time and efforts.

    Q3: I am not too sure about how one’s age is determined. As it is said on the website, the age is determined by “the day of making your applcation”. Is that the day when you lodge your application or the day when your application is processed?
    For example, my DOB is 02/08/1974 and I lodge my application on 30/07/2009 (e.g. online). What is my age then: 34 or 35? How many points I will be awarded: 25 or 20?


  52. Amrit said on March 31, 2009 at 2:06 pm

    Respected, i am preparing my career episode, Is it necessary that each episode be more than 5 pages ,, or it should be written accordingly as in skill assessment booklet, ie the number of words in each topic..

  53. ianlittle said on March 31, 2009 at 4:06 pm

    Misa – All these questions relate to visa processing. As such, I am not permitted to provide advice. I can only comment on qualifications assessment. Talk a a licenced migration agent.

  54. ianlittle said on March 31, 2009 at 5:32 pm

    Amrit – Use the number of words as the guide. Less is better than more. You do not have a lot of words to play with so you must not waste them with irrelevant detail. With every sentence you write, ask this question – “Do these words tell about something I have done personally; actions which show I have applied a competency unit and demonstrated a role of my chosen occupation?”

  55. rajesh said on April 1, 2009 at 6:18 pm

    hi, I have done my electrical and electronics engineering from a reputed college in Inida. I have 3.11 years experience in IT working with engineering applications and sofware development. Will I be eligible for skills assesment and what i need to do or what documents i require to clear the qualifications assesment. Kindly help.

  56. ianlittle said on April 1, 2009 at 8:15 pm

    Rajesh – The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site has a Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation.

    Go to the Australia Computer Society site to see the assessment criteria in the ACS Guidelines..
    Your qualifications and work experience do not seem to match. I do not like your chances of success for a couple of years at least. You may also need to do some IT training as well.

  57. rajesh said on April 1, 2009 at 8:27 pm

    Thanks for your reply. I am working in software development on engineering side involving bit of my electronic skills too. is it not suffice?
    I have done lot of IT Certifications too. I am IBM certified in software engineering. Will that help if i apply Australia Computer Society ??

  58. SAM said on April 2, 2009 at 5:56 am

    Hi, was wandering if you can clarify some things for me. I am an electronic engineer and recently completed my MBA in Tech. I work at a security camera installation company as an electronic engineer. HOwever i have only worked at this place for two years. HOw many years of experience does one require to be eligible for PR and can my designation be an electronics engineer since i only work in a installation company and not a manufacturing company.

  59. ianlittle said on April 2, 2009 at 4:46 pm

    Rajesh – You may be able to demonstrate the competencies of an electronics engineer. You need to look at the detailed description on the Australian Bureau of Statistics web site.
    All the IT courses should help you get recognition for prior learning (RPL) from ACS. You need to read all the information and make your own decision on which occupation suits your situation best. It is a mix of work experience, qualifications and what type of visa you are eligible for. At this point in time you need an occupation on the critical skills list to have any chance.

  60. ianlittle said on April 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm

    Sam – I can only comment on qualifications assessment, not on visa matters such as elegibility for PR. There is no work experience requirement for qualifications assessment of engineering occupations by Engineers Australia. However you probably need at least one year of work experience to be able to prepare a CDR for assessment. The type of company is not important. It is the work you do. You need to demonstrate you are doing things engineers do – that you have the competencies as defined by Engineers Australia in the Migration Skills Assessment handbook.
    The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on assessment requirements, competency demonstration reports (CDRs), and the format and length of the career episode reports (CERs). Read this from cover to cover. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :

  61. Amrit said on April 3, 2009 at 1:47 pm

    Out of 3 career episode, is it possible to write two of them about the projects that i have done during my 7th and 8th semester. Since i have only one year experience on my related field( electronics engineer) i am being unable to write 2 career episode from my company. In the seventh semester i had done a project on optical fiber and this project does not come under the course syllabus(i.e. there is no marking of this project, this is just an extra project i have done).

  62. Deepak said on April 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm

    i m a graduate (B.Tech) in Electronics and communication engineering in 2005.. but i dont have any work experience. right not i m doin pilot training in NSW. i would like to settle here in australia.. wat are my chances of getting job with by B.Tech degree?

  63. M.A.Zahedi said on April 4, 2009 at 12:28 am

    Hi! Ian Little
    Thanks for your Replies in this blog. I have completed my Under graduation in Computer and Communication Engineering (4 Yr) . Before that I completed Diploma In Electronics (3 Year). I have done some Projects on Electronics related field when I was perusing this diploma and done some project works in under graduate course also. Can I write those project works in Career Episode both done in Diploma and B.Sc Engg. Pls help me in this regard. Thanks

  64. ianlittle said on April 4, 2009 at 3:28 pm

    Deepak – If you are so out of touch with what is happening in the worls at the moments, I would say your chances are nil. You wouuld be competing against graduates and would need to be applying now.

  65. ianlittle said on April 4, 2009 at 3:30 pm

    Anirit – Yes if you can demonstrate you hav e electronic competencies in these activities.

  66. ianlittle said on April 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

    Zahedi – The diploma episodes would not demonstrate engineering competencies. Read the Skilled Migration Assessment competencies. You must demonstrate professional engineering competencies not engineering technologist competencies.

  67. K.S. VISHNU said on April 5, 2009 at 7:28 pm

    Hi Ianlittle, I am electronics graduate having done 4-year (1979 – 1983) engineering degree while working. Earlier I did diploma (1971 -1975) in Electronics (4-year diploma). At present I am working on 457 visa and preparing to apply for skill assessment to get PR. I still remember many episodes of my career and can clearly describe them for the CDR preparation. However my question is it required that some one should sign them to certify the episodes.

  68. ianlittle said on April 6, 2009 at 8:49 am

    Vishnu – You either have not read the requirements or do not understand them. The requirements are clear. Read and follow the instructions. The Migration Skills Assessment Handbook provides specific details on assessment requirements, competency demonstration reports (CDRs), and the format and length of the career episode reports (CERs). Read this from cover to cover before you start writing. Download the handbook from the Engineers Australia website :
    Make sure your episodes dmeonstrate professional engineering competetencies. Take them from your experience after completing your degree.

  69. midhun said on April 7, 2009 at 7:16 pm

    Hi Ianlittle, i am a BE Mechanical enginnering graduate from anna university, india. I intends to work in australia. How can i get engineering assessment.i have doubt because india comes under “organisations holding provisional status”.
    so please help me, by which way assessment is possible. whether CDR or assesment by washington accord.

  70. ianlittle said on April 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm

    Midhum – You have a non recognised qualification and will need to do a CDR as India is only in the process of becoming a Wasshington Accord signatory.

  71. Raheel said on April 14, 2009 at 4:41 am

    I dd my bachelors in mechanical engineering after 12 year of education which is called “Higher secondary school certificate”. HSSC
    I need to know do i have to send the HSSC certificate & transcripts along with my bachelors degree & transcripts to Engineer Australia for the CDR assesment ? or only bachelors degree & transcripts will be enough ?

  72. ianlittle said on April 15, 2009 at 12:03 pm

    Raheel – Only send your bachelor degree transcript. Engineers Australia will know the requirements to get into the course.

  73. rahul said on April 18, 2009 at 4:21 am

    Hi. Ianlittle,
    Its nice to know that some1 out of nowhere is helping people with their aussie immigration concerns..Thanks for the effort..
    I am in process of preparing my application for Aussie PR. I have to do assesment first and Qs regarding that. I have done BE engineering in Insustrial Electronics and then 2 years back I did MS in TelecomNetworks from USA. Given that I am post grad from US and BS from India I dont think I
    qualify for washington Accord. I am assuming I have to write a CDR. Is that right ?
    Also I dont see any mention of Engineering for telecom personel hence I am assumin I should apply under Engineering:Electronics engg.
    As far as my proffesional bckgnd I worked in India for 4 years in telecom as an engineer (project consultant) and almost last 2 yrs in telecom networks. Also I think my occupation qualification shd be that of proffessional engg. My assumptions are true? If not suggest what you feel right. Thanks in advance.

  74. ianlittle said on April 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm

    Rahul – I agree with you on all points. As your undergraduate degre is from India you will need to do a CDR.
    As a telecommunications engineer you will ned to apply as an electronics engineer. See the full ASCO definition.
    It is not about the jobs you have done, it is about the competencies you can demonstrate. It certainly looks like you should be able to meet the professional engineer requirements.

  75. Sairam said on April 20, 2009 at 5:24 pm

    Iam Sairam,iam planning to migrate to australia, iam confused in drafting my career episodes because i did my BTech in Electronics & Communications, presently and iam working as a QA engineer (Testing) with Virtusa India.
    Please help me
    1) How to perpare my career episodes
    2) How to releate my graduation in Electronics & Communications with the QA job iam doing now.

  76. ianlittle said on April 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm

    Sairam – You should be able to get a career episode out of tour final year project. You need to look at any electronic & communications engineering tasks you have done and deal with them as mini projects. If you are doing general QA tasks you probably will struggle to obtain a positive assessment. You are not in a good position to get a job in Australia with your lack of engineering experience. if you are looking at migration as a way to change career path you could be very disappointed.

  77. Aravinda said on April 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm

    Thanks a lot for your great blog post!
    I am a Software Engineer by profession and have 1 year full time work experience after graduation. I thought of migrating to Australia under 176 Visa Category as my family members are in Melbourne.

    I did a 4 year full time engineering degree ( B.Sc Engineering (Hon) specialized in Computer Engineering). My degree cannot be validated against Sydney or Washinton Accord and there for I have to write a CDR.

    Your answer to following topics will be greatly appreciated

    1) Can Engineers Australia Assess Software Engineer’s Skill Under “Engineering Technologist” As there is no any exact matching category I will be categorized under “Engineer – Engineering Technologists (NEC) (Not Elsewhere Classified) ASCO code 2128-79.

    2) Can I include my undergraduate final year project work I did to support my CDR?
    * The project Included heavy use of engineering theories and mathematics with an advance research background.

    3) Can I include the work experience I gained during my internship? I worked as a software developer for 6 months

    4) When writing the CDR do I have to put the sub section of each career episode in the same order

    E.g. ET1.1, ET 1.2, ET 1.3 .. ET 2.1 etc

    Or can I put the relevant index numbers at places where I have supporting information in the sub section (meaning that sometimes the order ET 1.1 ET 1.2 … will not be preserved)

    5) Note that when writing career episode most of the subsection overlaps and If I write a small text to support each and every sub section my CDR will reach over 5000 words. The booklet is bit miss leading, when it comes to word count. Please Let me know how many words there should be for “each” career episode?

    6) Do I have to write some evidence to support each and individual subsection in each career episod

    Thanks in advance.

  78. ianlittle said on April 29, 2009 at 11:13 am

    Aravinda – Software engineers are assessed by the Australian Computer Society. You need to look at their requirements
    A final year project is a good source for a career episode and is acceptable.
    Career episodes from work experience must be post graduation.
    You write each career episoe as a story I think it is best to number the paragraphs in each career episode and put the references to competencies wherever they come up. The Summary Staement provide the cross referencing to pull the whole CDR together.
    STICK TO THE WORD COUNT.You will find that easier by wirting a story of what you have done.
    Do not expect to cover every point in detail. After all you do not expect to get 100% in every examination. The CDR is to demonstrate through your actions you have engineering competencies at the level you are applying for.

  79. Giri said on May 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

    Hello Ian

    Would like to apply for PR Am already work visa (457) and working in Australia for 13 months. What is the process to apply for a PR?
    Some of my friends told me that I need to apply for an assessment with IEA and others told me that I don’t require. I am confused and want your opinion.

    I hold a PhD and have published in Intl Journals will that be ok if can substitute the CDR episodes with these pubs.?

    Is there any reliable website where I can assess myself whether to write a CDR or not.

    Thanks and regards

  80. ianlittle said on May 9, 2009 at 7:00 pm

    Giri – Go to the FAQ page and read the answer to question 1 – that gives you the links you need to assess your situation.

  81. Srinath said on May 11, 2009 at 1:11 pm

    I am a BE Mechanical graduate with 4 years of experience.
    Is consultant required for submiting my CDR?? What is the likely chance of CDR getting approved if i prepare on my own & submit it. I have taken my IELTS & awaiting for results.

    Thanks & Regards,


  82. ianlittle said on May 11, 2009 at 4:27 pm

    Srinath – Many engineers have successfully completed their CDR without a consultant. The Migration Skills Assessnebt Handbook provides a lot of information. Study it in detail.

  83. Marius Radu said on May 17, 2009 at 5:05 am

    Very nice of you to help others like that!
    Can you help me too with this:
    I applied to Engineers Australia back in 2007.
    I didn’t know back then that the projects I give as example have any influence on my ASCO code outcome.
    I applied for visa when I got my ASCO code from Engineers Australia but failed because of lack of experience.
    Now I want to apply again for visa, I got my IELTS with more then 7 at each.
    But in the background of world crisis and Critical Skills List I was thinking of reapplying and giving example of projects in my CDR that would fit a job description on the Critical Skills List.(because according to my recent experience I do fit one of those demanded jobs)
    Do you think I have chances to change my ASCO code according to the projects I provide?
    Thank you!

  84. ianlittle said on May 17, 2009 at 5:54 pm

    Marius – Certainly if you were accredited as an engineering technician you could apply for recognition as a professional engineer based on experience you have gained since your last application. You need to be aware that the assessors will look at you previous application. They will be suspicious of any changes to your CV from your previous application.

    Engineers Australia would not have failed you because of lack of experience. Assessment is competency based. You would have failed because you did not demonstrate you have the competencies for the occupation level you were applying for. Your CDR must demonstrate you have the competencies of a professional engineer as they are defined in the Skills Assessment Handbook and the technical skills for the occupation as defined for ASCO code by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

  85. maryam said on May 21, 2009 at 6:47 pm

    I have done my Bachelor for four years in Natural resource Engineering in Tehran unuversity,Iran.I think it is equavalent to Agricultural Engineer.Am I right?I have confused in choosing the category of engineers.I want to apply for skill migration.Could you please help me.

  86. ianlittle said on May 21, 2009 at 9:30 pm

    Maryam – have a look at the agricultural engineer ASCO code 2129-13
    This does not appear on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL). This is form 1121i from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship web site. This page tells you the eligibility requirements for each occupation category –
    The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website provides more detailed descriptions of typical tasks for your chosen occupation.

    Have a look at occupations such as agricultural scientist or adviser to see if they suit your type of work.

  87. maryam said on May 25, 2009 at 9:29 am

    Thanks for your useful information.I searched the website.My major is natural resource-Environmental work experience is related to civil and environmental engineering.I have worked in the field such as design of landfills,waste water treatment .The exact name of my degree is
    ” natural resource-Environmental engineer”.I am really confused because my degree is engineering but I don not know this is equivalent to which of your occupations?I like to send my degree for assessment .could you please help me.

  88. ianlittle said on May 25, 2009 at 4:07 pm

    Maryam – Sorry I gave some false information last time with a wrong ASCO code. Agricultural engineer occupation ASCO code is 2129-13
    You can make a choice to be assessed as an environmental or agricultural engineer or as an environmental oragricultural scientist sceintist. This is ASCO code 2114-79 Environmental and Agricultural Science Professionals nec. For agricultural engineer the ASCO code is 2129-13. Yes it is confusing because there is overlap between agriculture and environmental.
    Factors to consider are: the subjects you did in your university course, the nature of your work, and the points you get for the occupation you nominate towards a skilled migrant visa for the occupation and work experience components. I suggest you talk this over with a migration agent.

  89. ham said on May 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm

    I am a mechanical engineer by profession, can you please email me some cdr report sample and career epidose with respect to mechanical design engineer to my email address

    thanks & regards

  90. ianlittle said on May 29, 2009 at 7:20 pm

    Ham – No. We will not do this. Part of the process is demonstrating report writing skills. If you have UK qualifications you should be able to get qualifications through the Washington Accord.

  91. jagadeesh kumar said on May 30, 2009 at 4:05 am

    i am an electrical engineer having one year experience in the same field.

    i want to apply for pr visa. i am preparing CDR also. How long it will take to get skills assessment from engineers australia and how long lit will take to get pr visa

  92. ianlittle said on May 30, 2009 at 9:19 am

    Jagadeesh – I really have no idea, ask a migration agent. Overall it normally takes 18 – 24 months to get from the start to landing in Australia. So buy the Project Australia Pack and plan your own Project Australia.

  93. Rami said on June 7, 2009 at 1:08 am

    I have a Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering (Communications Concentration) from UAE University in 2002. The engineering program in UAE University is accredited from ABET since 1998.
    I checked the ABET web site and they say that Engineering programs outside USA are accredited as substantially equivalent to the programs in the USA.

    I have been told that I still need to do CDR for my engineering degree, even though, ABET is a member of Washington ACCORD. Can you please confirm if I still need to do the CDR. ?

    Also, after graduation I have joined an international control valves company specialized in severe service control valves applications for Oil & Gas and Power fields. I was part of a special on job training program in Europe for 18 months. After that I came to the regional office in Dubai to work as an Area Manager for Oil & Gas projects.

    If I have to do the CDR, should I apply as an electrical engineer knowing that all my experience in the last 6 years is mainly in the control valves for Oil & Gas and it is not related to electrical engineering? It is mainly a combination of Instrumentation, Mechanical and petroleum engineering. Also, currently as an area manager there is a great deal of Marketing and sales experience compared to the real engineering. However, selling such a special product you need to have a strong technical and application background as I am supposed to do technical seminars and training as part of my job.

    I have already done the IELTS exam and scored an average of 7.

    I have been told by an immigration agent that I should apply as an Engineering Manager. Can you please advise ?

  94. ianlittle said on June 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm

    Rami – You have to meet Engineers Australia requirements for qualifications assessment to mihrate to Australia. If you read their Migration Skills Assessment booklet it is obvious that there is no mention of ABET and that the UAE is not a menber of Washington Accord. You will have to do a CDR. Go to the tribus lingua FAQ page and read all the references given there. To me it looks like you should pitch yourself as an instrumentation engineer. This occupation does not have a defined ASCO code but fits best within electrical engineering. You need to have a good look at the occupation and tasks for the occupations you are considering, on the Australian Bureau of Statistics web site. Personally I do not think you could pass yourself off as a manager.
    It does not matter what you are supposed to do in your job or you job title. Every salesman is called a manager so they can try and get into customers at manager level. It is what you have done to be able to demonstrate the competencies of a professional engineer or manager. Compare the competencies of both and assess how well you can demonstrate the competencies of either.

  95. Rami said on June 8, 2009 at 1:14 am

    Thanks for the response. Please note that the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is representing in Washington Accord. See this link:

    You can also check the ABET website : showing the equivelent Engineering programs outside USA including UAE University Engineering College.

    I agree with you that I can not pass as an Engineering Manager, as I can not show the required experince in my current role and experince…

    My Degree was in Electrical Engineering with concentaration in Communications which is not obviously related to Instrumentations and control.. So do you confirm that I can prepare the CDR as instrumentation engineer where I can show my competencies, even if my degree is in Communications ?

  96. ianlittle said on June 8, 2009 at 4:35 am

    Rami – The real test is – is your course , including institute and year listed on the Washington Accord site ? The Engineers Australia rules are (which you can in read the Migration Skills Assessment booklet) that to be eligible under the Washington Accord you must have a degree from an Washington Accord accredited course completed in the country of a Washington Accord signatory. The UAE is not a signatory. ABET is about accreditation for the USA, not for Australia.

    There is overlap between electronic, electrical, instrumentation and communications engineering. It depends on the detail of subjects in your course and the nature of your work experience. I do not have enough detail to give you a clear direction. You may align better applying as an electronics engineer. I do not think it is all that important in this case, because of the overlap The most important thing is that your career episode reports are consistent with your work experience and your university course. Accreditation is about demonstrating the competencies of your selected occupation.

  97. Farhan said on June 8, 2009 at 9:06 am


    I am a graduate electrican engineer with 12 years of experiance out of these 12 i have three years of work experiance in UK and 3 in USA, I am currently working in USA. Wanted to know that will i need IELTS for applying to IEA with CDR or not, will my work expreriance of UK and USA exempt me from taking IELTS for applying to IEA? thanks in adavance,

  98. ianlittle said on June 8, 2009 at 11:58 am

    Farhan – You will need an IELTS test if English is not the language of the country on your passport.

  99. Nisarg said on June 8, 2009 at 4:07 pm

    i completed by Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronics, from India. I am also about to finish my masters degree from University of Sydney. I understand that I will have to assess my degree as a professional engineer, please advise me on should i get my degree assessed as Electronics or Mechanical engineer. Also, I have no work experience, and most of my project works have been purely academic. Would this pose any problems in getting my degree assessed ?


  100. ianlittle said on June 8, 2009 at 4:59 pm

    Nisarg – You qualifications are assessed on your undergraduate qualifications. Provided your masters projects are relevant tp your nominated occupation you should be able to demonstrate professional engineering competencies.
    You could fit as a mechanical, electrical or electronic engineer depending on the particular subjects you have done and the nature of your projects. I suggest you compare your projects experience against the detailed subjects you have studied in your course and the definitions and tasks of these different occupations on th3e ABS site. Think about which occupation you can write the best career episodes for to match one of the occupations.

  101. Phanta said on June 9, 2009 at 6:20 pm

    I’m about to sent my CDR to Engineers Australia; here are my questions:
    1) Do I have to send the ORIGINAL copy of my degree transcript to them?
    2) According to their instructions I have to send an original copy of my
    IELTS certificate to them; in this case how do they going to track it as I’m
    sending my CDR NOT with the IELTS certificate?


  102. Phanta said on June 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm

    I know that the assessment fee of CDR is Aus$ 450. Can you please tell me what is the visa application fee?

    Very Best Regards,

  103. Phanta said on June 10, 2009 at 1:38 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    I think my one of my questions need some corrections with its wordings, so let me repeat it.
    According to their instructions I have to send an original copy of my
    IELTS certificate to Engineers Australia through the test centre; in this case how do they going to track my IELTS certificate as the certificate & CDR are sending seperately. What should I do in order to let them know that I have send my IELTS certificate to them?

    Please advice.

    Very Best Regards,

  104. ianlittle said on June 10, 2009 at 3:00 pm

    Phanta – Do not send your IELTS test certificate anywhere. Read the instructions in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet and follow them word for word. Have some one who has completed the application process check everything for you. The main reason for delays in processing is because applications are incomplete.
    Do not send any original supporting documents, including your degree transcript, to Engineers Australia. Section D 1 tells you which documents are to be certified copies.

    See section D1 – Original English language test (IELTS) result You must arrange for this to be forwarded directly to Engineers Australia from the Test Centre
    You need to provide the IELTS test centre with details so the IELTS test centre can send the IELTS test result to Engineers Australia.

    Go to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website to find out the cost of a visa application.

  105. Ambreen said on June 10, 2009 at 4:17 pm

    Hi ianlittle

    I have done BSc EE (Telecommunications). I have around 5 years of work experience in a hardware software company as a software engineer. My major contribution in all projects has been in the telecom domain. I have been the telecom expert on almost all projects i have worked on. I would like to know if i should apply through Engineers Australia as an Engineering Technologist (nec) or though ACS?

    Thanks and Best Regards

  106. ianlittle said on June 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm

    Ambreen – You could fit as an electronic engineer depending on the nature of the software engineering. Why not an electronics technologist as telecoms is included inthe electronics definition? I suggest you compare your projects experience against the detailed subjects you have studied in your course and the definitions and tasks of the different possible occupations on th3e ABS site. Think about which occupation you can write the best career episodes for to match one of the occupations. You need to look closely ar the ACS requirements because your base qualification is not as a computer professional. You also need to consider your software speciality. Is it on the MODL? It seems to me you are telecoms engineer trained and probably have sufficient telecoms experience to be accredited as an electronics (telecommunications) engineer – failing that as an elctronics (telecons) engineering technologist.

  107. Phanta said on June 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    Thank you very much for the support, I really appreciate your kind co-operation.

    Thanks again.

    Very Best Regards.

  108. Gautam said on June 13, 2009 at 7:56 pm

    Hi Ian Little, I found most of your answers informative and useful. Thanks a lot

    I’m a Mechanical Engineer (B Tech) with 8+ years of experience. I started my career with Machine tool design as my main domain after which seeking good career opportunities I switched over to Engineering service and working on various CAD packages. I’m looking forward for immigrating to Australia based on my current work experience. I have few questions for you:

    1. What are the prospects for CAD/CAM design in Australia?
    2. Should I be show casing more on my Machine design experience…I’m working on the CAD domain for the last 3.5 years?
    3. If at all I seek jobs on CAD domain what kind of emphasis should be given for while preparing the career episodes??

  109. ianlittle said on June 14, 2009 at 6:02 pm

    Gautam – Quite frankly all areas are down at the moment, particularly the motor industry and manufacturing. But it is expected that the shortages of the past will re-emerge when things pick up. Australia has failed to train enough engineers for years. I think your design experience is the thing to highlight. CAD is just a tool. The real skill si the ability to design machines.

  110. Amit said on June 26, 2009 at 1:03 am

    I have done my B.E in Instrumentation from Mumbai University and have 2.5 yrs of experience in samefield.CAn i use Electronics as my MODL?? Also i have had a gap on 1 year after this and i ma working in different area now as a consultant which is not in instrumentation field. Please let me know can i access my skills as Electronics engg..

  111. ianlittle said on June 26, 2009 at 3:20 am

    Amit – As there is no defined occupation of instrument engineer in the ASCO system, you should be abl;e to apply as an electronics engineer. For accreditation the gap in work experience in your occupation is not a problem. It is what you have done that is important, not the number of years experience. Follow the referenced sites on our FAQ page and look at the occupation description and tasks for an electronic engineer and the competencies for a professional engineer. Your must be able to demonstrate the competencies of your occupation at the level of a professional engineer in your CDR.

  112. Amit said on June 27, 2009 at 1:21 am

    Hi Ian little,
    Thanks for ur quick response……I was confused about another thing….should i use MODL as

    Electronics Engg.(2125-13) or Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified(2129-79)?

    Do instrumentation enggs. use electronics engg. as MODL??
    Also is it necessary that all points mentioned on the ABS website for electronics engg. should be covered in CDR?

  113. ianlittle said on June 27, 2009 at 1:30 am

    Amit – You really mean the occupation you nominate for your visa application. Obviously you want to try and fit within an occupation which is on the CSL (these must be on the MODL) to obtain priority for visa assessment.

    Some instrument engineers do work that is process control and mechanically oriented, engaged in things such as pressure and flow measurement, pneumatics and control valves. If you are in that line of work you will probably not be able to obtain accreditation as an electronics engineer – but you could fit within mechamical engineering (similar to mechatronics engineers). However, if you are working with distributed control systems and PLCs, you could fit as an electronics engineer. As Engineering Professionals (not elsewhere classified) (2129-79) is not on the MODL. that would not be my first choice. Depending on their specific education and arears of practice I would expect instrument engineers to be either electrical, mechanical or electronic. some may even be chemical (process) engineers. This is because they will have a degree in one of these disciplines and will have, through work experience, become instrument engineers.

    You certainly need to address all professional engineer competencies given in Appendices in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. You address these in the context of your occupation as defined by the ABS. You will need to address enough of the skills to demonstrate electronics engineer skills and knowledge.

    I suggest that you go to the Engineers Australia website and submit your question directly to them.

  114. Sam said on June 27, 2009 at 1:30 am

    Hi I am Sam,

    Can we use MODL as Manager

  115. ianlittle said on June 27, 2009 at 8:58 am

    Sam – You can choose any occupation you believe you meet the qualifications, experience and can demonstrate the competencies for. Got to our MODL, CSL, SOL and ENSOL – Australian Migration Lists blog and follow the link to the skills recognition site. This will show you the requirements for the different occupations.
    If you are an engineer you can consider the occupation of engineering manager. See the Migration Skills Assessment booklet.

  116. Raad said on July 3, 2009 at 12:24 am

    Dear Ian:

    This blog is providing great help and guidance to the people who want to get thier skills assessed from EA.

    I did my bachelors in mechanical engineering and have over 8 years of experience in maintenance of turbo machinery.
    1. What will be your advise if i write one of my career episode based on re-building activities of a gas turbine. Do you think will it make it ?
    2. what are the prospects in australia for a mechanical maintenance engineer in the field of turbo-machinery?

  117. ianlittle said on July 3, 2009 at 6:46 am

    Raad – If you do a CER on the rebuilding of a machine you need to demonstrate engineering competencies. Things like application of engineering judgement and application of engineering skills. This will need to include something like using analysis to assess and fix a particular problem. It would need to be more than a routine rebuild. CERs about solving problems provide a good source for CERs.
    There are a number of LNG plants being planned for construction in the next two or three years. These facilities and the plants feeding gas to them will provide great opportunities for rotating machinery engineers.

  118. Phanta said on July 3, 2009 at 9:36 pm

    Hi ianlittle,
    I’m from Sri Lanka & I sent my application & CDR together with all other documents to Engineers Australia (I have a BSc Engineer degree)on 23rd June 2009. Here are my questions:.

    1) Do they inform us once they receive my application?
    2) If so how long does it take?

    Thank you.

  119. ianlittle said on July 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm

    Phanta – Engineers Australia are processing a high number of applications at the moment so the process is taking longer than normal. You will be sent acknowledgement of your application – this may take 2 – 3 weeks The processing will take 12 weeks or more.

    You should have sent your application by courier or registered post. These applications are too important to just put in a letterbox and hope

  120. Raul said on July 6, 2009 at 12:01 pm

    I am an Electronics Engineer. I have been working as an instructor in a university. I teach major subjects in Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering. I also have some projects in the said department which I think may be helpful in my prepation of the CDR.

    Is my experience as an instructor in the College of Engineering be qualified in the assessment of Engineers Australia?

    Your reply will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

  121. ianlittle said on July 6, 2009 at 3:45 pm

    Raul – For accreditation you have to demonstrate the professional engineering competencies. you should be able to demonstrate these through activities such as research projects. I suggest you look at the competencies, then select three CER topics from your experience. For each topic write about ten items , each only one line, summarising engineering activities. Then compare what you have written against the professional engineering competencies. You will probably find that you have missed some competencies. Have a think about other things you ahve missed and how you can include the full set of competencies.

  122. Phanta said on July 14, 2009 at 7:55 pm

    Hi ianlittle,
    in the checklist they provided in the MigrationSkillsAssessmentBooklet there is a one called;
    “Certified evidence of registration under the relevant licensing authority in the country in which you are practising [if necessary].

    Can you please explain me what is this?

    Thank you!

  123. ianlittle said on July 14, 2009 at 8:34 pm

    Phanta – In some countries, such as Canada and the USA, and also in Queensland Australia, you need to be registered to practice as a professional engineer. If you have a similar licence or registration in any state or country you have worked, Engineers Australia would like you to send a certified copy of the registration certificate. A certied copy is one signed by an approved person. The people who can do this are listed in the Migration Skills Assessment booklet.

  124. Mike said on July 16, 2009 at 4:48 am

    I have lodged my application under CDR category exactly a month ago via courier, but still waiting for acknowlegement. How long does it normally takes to get their acknowledgment ?

    My Career episodes have exceeded the words limits of 2000 words. Will i be asked to condense it ?

  125. ianlittle said on July 16, 2009 at 6:40 pm

    Mike – I reckon you are more likely to have you CDR downgraded or rejected rather than being asked to condense it. How silly are you not to follow the instructions? Engineers Australia have that many applications they are not going to mess around with one from some one who does not understand the guidelines. Response time to applications are slowing judging by comments i have seen. Last week I saw a comment that an application for an occupation on the CSL list took more than 12 months. Don’t pack your suitcase.

  126. lamcha said on July 23, 2009 at 3:46 pm

    I have a 4 year bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

    I have been involved in 2 projects where I had to perform Mechanical Engineering related tasks.

    I was given the responsibility for managing another project where there was hardly any Mechanical Engineering related tasks involved, but it was more to do with managing of the total project. Specifically it was a project for the design and implementation of a floodlighting system for a outdoor sports field.

    If I am to apply to be recognized as a professional Mechanical Engineer, can use this project for my third carrer episode?

    Thx & rgds.

  127. ianlittle said on July 23, 2009 at 5:56 pm

    Iamcha – I think you could use the project management experience to demonstrste all the associated management compentencies. Use the other two episodes to demonstrate you have mechanical engineering competencies. Remember your CERs do not have to be about different jobs you have done. You may be able to pick out more than one CER out of one of your mechanical engineering jobs. Look for problems you have solved or mistakes you have made and fixed. These are great sources to show you can apply engineering knowledge and skills. Write outlines for all three CERs before you start writing in detail. Then complete the summary. You will find you have missed competencies. Go back and think about how you can demonstarte missing competencies and fill in the gaps. when you summary looks OK, then write the detail of the CERs.

  128. lamcha said on July 28, 2009 at 5:12 pm


    Thank you for your response and advice.

    Do I have to nominate the occupation (and hence produce a CDR for skills assessment) that I have been involved in for at least 12 of the last 24 months or can it also be an occupation done before my current occupation (covering a period of less than 12 months of the last 24) and a CDR produced for skills assessed for that occupation.

    My current occupation (for 14 months of the last 24) matches the skills levels of “Industrial Engineer” whereas my experiences from the earlier occupation would fit the skills required for a Mechanical Engineer.

    Hope you could guide me with regards to the above also.

    Thx & rgds.

  129. ianlittle said on July 28, 2009 at 5:57 pm

    Lamcha – Select your occupation after assessing how well you can demonstrate competencies to get your qualifications accredited, and the most points you get in the points test. You should have enough work experience in either occupation to write a credible CDR. It is likely to be easier to get accreditation based on your undergraduate degree. If your degree is mechanical apply as a mechanical, if it is industrial, apply as an industrial.

  130. Phanta said on July 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    I have a BSc. Eng degree & I prepare my CDR (I followed the guide lines provided at their website) & sent to Engineers Australia on June 22nd. So far I did not receive a letter or receipt from them so I still do not know whether they receive my CDR or not. But I received a receipt which says that the National Bank of Australia received the fee I paid to Engineers Australia. (Aus $ 450)

    Shall I wait for their response? Please advice me!


  131. ianlittle said on July 29, 2009 at 5:28 pm

    Phanta – Just wait – You know they have your application. It will probably take 2 -3 months.

  132. Puneet Bali said on August 9, 2009 at 6:52 pm

    Hi Ian,

    I am planning to file immigration for Australia under skilled migration. I have done 3 years Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engineering & then through lateral entry did B.Tech (3 years) in Electronics & Instrumentation Engg. I have done almost 5 projects in my course work. My work experience is in category Sales & marketing – been selling Automation solutions to process plants & now into selling IT/ Software services. I am bit confused about nomination of my skills -if i should apply under Engineers category or Sales & Marketing category. What I could gather from Engineers Australia is that Skill assessment is meant to assess the qualification primarily. 3 Projects meant to be submitted as per CDR norms may be a part of course or while at job. Please let me know if i can go ahead with nomination under Engineers by submitting any of 3 projects I did as a part of my course work.


    Puneet Bali

  133. ianlittle said on August 9, 2009 at 7:25 pm

    Puneet – Your understanding is correct. Skill Assessment is totally about testing whether a person with a non-accredited qualification has competencies equivalent to a person with an equivalent engineering occupation. In your sales work you could have used engineering skills in developing engineering solutions for customers. Qualifications assessment is about getting a qualification assessed for an occupation that gives you the best opportunity to obtain a visa in that occupation. At the moment it is an occupation on the Critical Skills List if you are applying for general skille migration. It is complex so it is important that you find out as much as you can and talk to a registerd migration agent for Australia.

  134. Ahsan said on August 16, 2009 at 5:49 pm

    I am mechanical engineer but i have experience in Industrial/Production engineer which are both dont lie in MODL so i ve to apply for 2126-11. so any guide if i can ve something out of my experience which is mechanical one… my experience is project management ( planning scheduling controling, budgeting etc) of manufacturing n assembly activities

  135. ianlittle said on August 16, 2009 at 8:58 pm

    Ahsan – Have a look at the detail in the ASCO occupation definition on the Australian Bureau of Statistics site. 2126-13 is production engineer. there are only a limited number of job definitions in the ASCO definitions. You have to pick an occupation which is closest to yours. By closest means contains a range of similar engineering skills. For example plant engineer is similar to mechanical engineer in many respects. You have to pick what you can from the definitions to demonstrate competencies. It is not what you have been called or what your job title is – it is the competencies you can demonstrate.

  136. Usman Akram said on August 19, 2009 at 1:25 am

    Hi Ian,

    I am in a phase of writing Cdr, for this I thought to ask you that can i include my final year Bsc Electrical Engineering project as my career episode. For this what I suppose to write in summary paragraph and the title of position occupied, please suggest.

  137. ianlittle said on August 19, 2009 at 2:00 am

    Usman – position occupied is final year BSc Engineering project. In the summary write about te major engineering things you learnt through you involvement in the project.

  138. Usman Akram said on August 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm

    Thanks for guiding me.

  139. Usman Akram said on August 20, 2009 at 1:50 am

    Hi Ian,

    Would in my academic like I mentioned earlier in final year Bsc Electrical Engineering project, the organization chat is necessary?

  140. ianlittle said on August 22, 2009 at 6:40 am

    Usman – It is asked for, so give it. All simple. It may only show your department head, supervisor and any other members in your group if it was a group project. At all times follow the instructions to the letter. Do not give the assessors any reason to knock you back by not having an incomplete CDR.

  141. Usman Akram said on August 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm

    Thanks for your support.

  142. Zeeshan said on August 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

    hi ian.. thank you .. your answers are really helpful.. i also need to ask a small thing.. in the above example of a CER it shows a candidates verifier’s name and his signature.. who would that be??? coz i don’t have any work experience, i just finished my masters studies in biomedical engineering. and there is no gap between my bachelors and masters..

  143. ianlittle said on August 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm

    Zeeshan – The verifier is the person who is managing you. If you are a student, it is the Head of the faculty or the supervisor or your project..

  144. bhavesh said on September 9, 2009 at 2:51 am

    hi, i have done my diploma in electrical engg. after 10 th standard. Then i have joined power sector. During a job i have done my graduation in electrical engg. from institution of engineers india. I have more than 2 years of experience after graduation.would i eligible for australia PR immigration and assessed by i.e.australia as a proffessional engineers. please guide me

  145. ianlittle said on September 9, 2009 at 6:03 pm

    Bhavesh – You should be elegible as an engineering associate, but not as a professional engineer. Got oFAQ pageur and follow the links to get all the information you need.

  146. Usman Akram said on September 10, 2009 at 11:21 am

    Hi Ian,

    Many thanks for your advice. It really helped me a lot in writing complete CDR. I have a question regarding compiling of CDR. Do I need to arrange the printed CDR in a booklet form or just arrange the CDR by the separated titles?

  147. ianlittle said on September 10, 2009 at 6:19 pm

    Usman – Just keep the CERs as three separate documents. Label them Clearly CER1, CER2 and CER3. Make sure you have all pages named and numbered in a footer. Try the drop test. If you dropped all the pagesf your complete CDR and they scattered all over the floor, can someone else easily pick them all up and put them back in order. The instructions specifcally tell you not to bind the CER. Engineers Australia like to pull the CDR apart !!.

  148. JP said on September 21, 2009 at 1:51 am

    Dear Ianlittle, I’m very surprised for the job you do on this blog. I want to say thanks like many others and I hope you can give me a hand:

    I’m a Chilean guy, 32 years old, married and dad of a little girl. I’m an Engineer with a 5 years career at the Pontifical Catholic University, but I think my degree only exist here in Chile, and is literaly translate as Constructor Engineer, maybe could be Builder Engineer?. Also during 2008, I completed a one year Diploma (Operational Management). I have 7+ years experience but my best job until now, has been the Plant Engineer in an industrial manufactur plant, during almost 2 years. To obtain that work, I worked as part of the construction team for the construction of this new plant, and finally the Plant Manager did offers me the possition to continue working with them.
    So, my question is, due to my recent experience could be aplying for a “Production or Plant Engineer” 2126-13 and complete my 3 CDRs based on that experience and different projects that I managed.
    My concern is because the occupation mentioned gives 60 point in contrast to my previous degree, for that case I found a match at the Unit Group 1191 “Building and Construction Managers” but those give only 50 points.

    Ianlittle, thanks in advance!

  149. ianlittle said on September 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm

    JP – Have you considered “Engineer – Building and Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified 2129-79″ I think you could write CERs around this. It is also consistent with your qualifications. I doubt if you can succeed as a production engineer becuase that is not you base training qualification. You will only succedd if you can demonstrate that parts of the competencies in your building qualification are relevant to production engineering.

  150. Phanta said on September 22, 2009 at 8:55 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    I sent my CDR to Engineers Australia on 23rd of June 2009. But I still didn’t get the result. What should I do now? Please advice!


  151. ianlittle said on September 22, 2009 at 9:32 pm

    Phanta – Be patient and wait. Engineers Australia have a long backlog at the moment.

  152. JP said on September 23, 2009 at 5:29 am

    Ianlittle, thanks for your advise.

    I can validate my experience as a Plant Engineer better than a Production Eng.(both are involves in the description) based on my primary degree and my Diploma I think I can support 3 cases on were I develop projects that a Plant Engineer does.
    About “Management and Planning of manufacturing activities” is the weak side of my resume, but I believe I have some to tell about it…

    Now, taking account your comment, when you suggest 2129-79 I read about it on the ASCO, and at the end, the descrption mention 3 occupations… I feel my degree doesn’t match with it. These three occupations are like a guide o my qualification should be one off the 3??
    Occupations in this group include:
    Armament Engineer (Defence Force)
    Instrument Engineer (Defence Force)
    Product Design Engineer

    Thank you.

  153. ianlittle said on September 23, 2009 at 8:07 am

    JP – As you hace noticed the number of engineer occupations in the ASCO code list is small. This means that all the different specialities have to fit under one of the few categories that there are, or go under the catch all 2129-79 category. The occupations listed are not part of building or construction and are not a consistent group, so your qualifications and experience will not necessarily match. This is a group for people like yourself with qualification having general engineering competencies, from a course not available in Australia, but do not fit into one of the few ASCO categories.
    Remember in the CDR you only need to demonstrate competency at a graduate level. That does not have to be at a very sophisticated or complex level. mangement at a graduate leve is more being organised nd being able to plan your activities and co-ordinate with others.

  154. Phanta said on September 23, 2009 at 12:35 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    I really appreciate what you are doing to help & guide the people like us regarding this subject.


  155. Hammad said on September 24, 2009 at 6:01 pm

    Hi Ian,
    1. How important it is to stick to the given word limit for each of the 4 sections of the CER? Do the assessors actually count the words? The problem I am facing is that there is a huge number of competency elements to be proven and the given word limit is too small for all the elements to fit in.
    2. Is it advisable to claim a competency element in the Background section of the career episode, or all elements should be claimed within the Personal Engineering Activity section, which is the “key assessable component”, as per IEAust official documentation?
    3. Could you please elaborate what is meant by “a statement of your duties (provide an official duty statement where available)”?

  156. ianlittle said on September 24, 2009 at 9:09 pm

    Hammad –
    1 It is very important to stay within the word limits. Engineers Australia will not count the words but they can see the number of pages. Part of the challenge is to be able to assess what is important and what is not. Look at each sentence and ask yourself- “What element of a competency does this demonstrate?” if you cannot answer this, delete the sentence. Do not try and address every element individually, address the overall competency. The elements should be considered as typical of the sorts of activities within a competency. Remember no one is expected to get 100% in an exam. Cover what is important.
    2 Do not have any competencies in the background.
    3 If you have a formal written job description for any job you have had, include it. If you have not had a formal job description list,in dot form, the tasks you were expected to do. Such as:
    – perform calculations to size equipment
    - prepare damage reports and recommend repairs
    - prepare project estimates…………….

  157. dipak said on September 29, 2009 at 4:23 pm

    I have engineering degree in production , but last 17 years working on EPC projects n last 12 years on OIL & GAS projects . My experience is in contracts / procurement of various equipments. Can this experience be considered as a Mechanical Engineering qualification from AE.

  158. ianlittle said on September 29, 2009 at 6:29 pm

    Dipak – Unlikely, unless you can demonstrate engineering competencies through involvement in technical evaluation, specification, designing modifications and/or applying engineering skills. If it was purely commercial and contractual work – no chance.

  159. dipak said on September 30, 2009 at 4:21 pm

    Thanks Ian . I do have extensive involvement in technical bid evaluation , selection of equipment and resolution of pre/post purhcase order engineering issue . Hope i can demonstrate that thru’ CDR.

  160. Raad said on October 4, 2009 at 5:58 pm

    Its over 3.5 months since i sent my application to Engineers Australia under CDR category but still no acknowlegement or response has been given from EA. Pleae advise if i have to send them an email to update my status ?

  161. ianlittle said on October 4, 2009 at 7:39 pm

    Raad – Only contact EA if you have not received acknowledgement of your application. Processing time are long at the moment.

  162. Orion said on October 6, 2009 at 3:51 am

    I just finished my BSc in Electronic Engineers (4 years of study) and a BSc in Physics.
    As a student, i worked as an Associate Engineer. Only now i’m being offered a position as a Professional Engineer (at the same company).
    My question is: Is my work experience (Associate Engineer) going to be a problem for the assessement for a Professional Engineer?

  163. ianlittle said on October 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm

    Orion – No probelm. It does not help for qualifications assessemnt or for visa application as it is not relevant because it is before you have gained your qualification. It will help you get a job in Australia though.

  164. Raad said on October 6, 2009 at 2:32 pm

    Dear Ian:

    I just recieved a reply from EA via Email confirming my successfull assessment as an Engineer. They have sent me a letter of recognition on September 14, 2009 which i still to recieve at home.

  165. Orion said on October 7, 2009 at 1:40 am

    Thanks Ian – you’re a real pro.
    Another thing, since I haven’t gained yet any experience as a Proffesional Engineer (only Associate), what should I write as “carreer episodes” on my CDR?
    Thanks again,

  166. ianlittle said on October 7, 2009 at 2:51 am

    Orion – Your final year project is a good topic. You have to display the competencies of a professional engineer. You do not have to have engineering experience. Hopefully you have done some jobs (projects) which you used the engineering competencies. something that went wrong where you had to analyse the cuase and evelop a solution are very good for CERs.

  167. Orion said on October 7, 2009 at 9:33 pm

    Ian, thanks. I’m truely greatful for all your help ;-)

  168. Orion said on October 8, 2009 at 12:45 am

    Hi again.. just 2 more question please:

    1.The CER attached contains about 500 words. The Migration Skill Assessment Booklet says spesifically that each nerrative should contain a minimum of 1000 words. Is the attached CER a good reference? if not, where is it possible to get a good example of a nerrative?

    2. The attached CER contains a “Competency Element Claimed” column. Yet it is not clear to me what do the Letters & figures stand for (E3.1 , C2.3,…). I checked the Summay Statements, and did not find any match for these figures. Can you say how to fill this column?

    Thanks (again)

  169. ianlittle said on October 9, 2009 at 12:10 am

    Orion – Sorry for causing confusion. This example is for application for chartered status. It is only an example of the style of writing you must use in a CER. Notice that it is a simple narrative style written in the first person using the terminology of engineering competencies. It is not an example of a CER.
    The letters relate to the competency elements which are listed in the Summary. For this example you would need to cross check against the Engineers Australia handbook for chatered engineer. The competencies from the CER Summary would be:

    PE2.1 Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
    PE2.4 Proficiency in engineering design
    ET2.5 Ability to ensure reliable operation

    You should be able to find these in Section C of the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. I can see there are parts of other competency elements which could be claimed here.

    My apologies for the confusion. I did not want to change the Enginerrs Australia example.

  170. Orion said on October 10, 2009 at 8:04 am

    Thank Ian.
    One last thing (I hope),
    The Migration Skills Assessment Booklet says that I have to rpovide employer reference letters. But does not state what should be included in such a letter.
    Can you please guide me on this one?

  171. ianlittle said on October 10, 2009 at 8:26 am

    Orion – The employer reference letter must say you have been employed as a professional engineer and when you started and finished the employment as a professional engineer. Legally that is all an Australian employer can provide. Any work that requires validation for a CER must be separately validated on your CV.

  172. mech_india said on October 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm

    I am a Mechanical Engineer and an MBA from India with over 6 years of work experience in our family business of manufacturing engineering components. I have worked both in the capacities of Professional Engineer and Sales & Marketing Manager for our business. I am planning to get my engineering assessed by EA. Kindly advise me if for writing my CDR I should concentrate only on my technical projects undertaken in our manufacturing business or can I also write about various product developments, Sales & Marketing initiatives that I have carried out to win new business for our company? I am planning to get my credentials assessed as an Engineering Manager.

  173. ianlittle said on October 11, 2009 at 9:27 pm

    Raja – You must demonstrate the engineering competencies as given in the Migration Skills Assessment Handbook. The technical side of product development using engineering skills is good. The sales marketing initiatives are not relevant.

  174. srikanth_sai said on October 13, 2009 at 11:09 pm

    I am a mechanical engineering graduate passed out in 2004. I have diploma in mechanical engg prior to that. I am having 5 years of work experience as CAD engineer. I’m working on Pro/E software. My question is whether my occupation comes under mechanical engineer or computing professional. Please clarify me.

  175. ianlittle said on October 14, 2009 at 1:28 am

    Srikanth – You look like a mechanical engineering technologist or associate to me. It depends on what you are doing with CAD. If you are designing applications for mechanical design or doing mechanical design ,you will definitely be a mechanical type. If you are doing general CAD system development with no engineering context you will be more likely to be seen as a computing type. If you have done other computing type course, this will strengthen you claim as an IT professional. It looks like you will have trouble

  176. Phanta said on October 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm

    Hi ianlittle,

    Engineers Australia assessed my CDR & I went through it sucessfully.
    Can you please tell me what is the maximum time I can wait without applying for a visa? (I don’t want my CDR result to be expired!)


  177. ianlittle said on October 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm

    Phanta – You will have to ask an immigration agent about visa issues. On second thoughts, have a look at the FAQ page on Engineers Australia site. The assessment result does not expire , but IEAust charge a fee to update it after a couple of years I think.

  178. srikanth_sai said on October 14, 2009 at 11:07 pm

    Hi Ian, Thanks a lot for your reply. I’m having expertise in heavy engineering & semi conductor domains. Through out my 5 years of experience I am involved in the generation of mechanical design concepts, modelling & creating manufacturing drawings. I provide design support for the client. Some times I need to handle small teams to meet the deliveries to the client. So, as per your clarification, I hopefully come under mechanical engineer. Here I have one more question. Will there be any change in visa process for professional engineer and engineering technologist (with respect to immigration points).

  179. ianlittle said on October 15, 2009 at 5:27 am

    Srikanth – That’s a visa question which I cannot advise on. Go to the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)site and you will get the answer. look up each occupation and the site lists the visa points. Go to our FAQ page to find the ASRI link.

  180. sameh said on October 17, 2009 at 9:30 pm

    i am electrical pwer engineer pwer transimmision sub station operation and maint. engineer i need to help me how can i make cdr and i have arround 20 years experince in pwer trans.400 kv to 11 kv

    help me please

  181. ianlittle said on October 18, 2009 at 10:32 am

    Sameh – I think the first thing you need to do is to improve your English. A high level of English makes it easier for you to understand the engineering competencies in the Migration Skills Asssessment Handbook, it will also mean you can write your CERs better, write a better CV and perform better in a Job interview. Go to our FAQ page and get the links to the appropriate web site to provide the information you need.

  182. shehzad said on October 21, 2009 at 6:01 am

    hi Ian,

    I am a mechanical engineer and have more than six years of experience in the following
    a) 3 years in Production Planning in Automobile Manufacturing Plant
    b) 2 years in automobile dealership in Aftersales operations and warranty administraion.
    c) 1 year in Furniture Industry as planning Engineer
    d) 8 months as assistant manager Projects

    Can i claim points under the category of mechanical engineer? and can u give me some advice on writing my CDR


  183. ianlittle said on October 21, 2009 at 8:56 am

    Shehzad – I think you will have difficulty with this experience. Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website and look at the task description for a mechanical enegineer and also download the Migration Skills Assessment booklet. Follow the links to these from our FAQ page. The real test is to prepare a CDR. Start by selecting three career episode reports (CER) topics and write ten one line sentences for each. Then complete the Summary (Yes do this at the start) by assessing the competencies you will be able to demonstrate from each of the one line sentences when you expand them to a full paragraph. It is not work experience or job title that count – it is how well you can demonstrate professional engineering competencies as defined by ASCO code and Engineers Australia.

  184. shehzad said on October 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm

    Thanks for the response,i saw the task description for a mechanical engineer and i think you are right, it will be Little difficult to write 3 career episodes(as a mechanical engineer) with the current experience. Now I also saw the task description of Production or Plant Engineer and Industrial Engineer and i think it will be much easier to write the career episodes with one of these nominated occupation, Now the questions are
    1) As Mechanical is my Basic Degree, can i choose Production or Industrial as the nominated occupation?and what is the effect of this on the assessment?
    2) Industrial is not in the current critical skill list that means the process will be delayed and can you give an idea by how many months?
    3) If you are not successful in the assessment process can you relauch your application if yes then how many times?
    I will be thankful if you can answer my queries.


  185. ianlittle said on October 24, 2009 at 10:15 am

    Shehzad – You should be able to have a reasonable chance with occupations with many of the same basic skills. Factors which will help are the specific subjects you did during your course and your project work. Another thing that would help is any post graduate courses or training related to production or industrial engineering. This can include some self education. This would need to be included in your professional development statement. I cannot advise (legally) on visa matters. See our blog web page link on visa processing times.

  186. shijo said on October 29, 2009 at 3:41 pm

    Hi ian
    I have completed by bachelors in electronics and communication, and now I have completed my masters in telecommunication (where my majority subjects are networking) and also did a Graduate diploma in networking(awaiting results)

    I am in a stage to prepare my cdr and I was thinking of the putting two projects from my bachelors and a project from my masters,
    so can I apply as an electronics professional??
    can i put networking based project?
    And will IELTS (general) with 7 in each be enough?

  187. ianlittle said on October 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm

    Shijo – Yes, yes

  188. Adeel said on October 30, 2009 at 12:12 am

    Dear brothers,

    I am writing my career episodes for CDR these days. I have a query regarding the “Personal Workplace Activity” section.

    The professional projects I am presenting in my CDR requires more amount of data to be included than mentioned in the MSA booklet. As per the booklet we can only include 1000 words in “personal workplace activity” section whereas 02 of my career episodes contains around 2000 words (5 A4 size pages) in the “personal workplace activity” sections. Is there as strist restriction regarding the word count for a CDR episode? Please guide.

  189. ianlittle said on October 30, 2009 at 6:08 am

    Adeel – Yes there is. Part of the test is to be able to write concise English. Look at every sentence and ask yourself which competency that sentence demonstrates. If you cannot link a sentence to a competency, delete it. Most sentences should start with I – I calculated, I assessed, I designed, I planned….take out all the things about the companies and how everyone appreciated your efforts. Stick with the facts. Each CER should be around ten paragraphs of about ten lines. About six or so sentences in each paragraph.

  190. shijo said on October 30, 2009 at 1:56 pm

    Thanks Ian,
    wanted to get it more clear from you before I proceed into it, the two project from my bachelors will present my electronics skill but the project option that I have from my masters is one of the electronics project but that is a very small n simple project compared to my bachelors, so will that do?
    Or else, I have done a project in “network design for a school and clinic” but it would be totally computing field, so will this project be outside the boundaries of electronics professional??
    would need your help further when I get into writing this..

  191. ianlittle said on October 30, 2009 at 3:35 pm

    Shijo – You have to work this out by asessing the competencies from each CER you write. Do an outline first for all 3 CERs, then the summary. That will tell you if you have coveredall the competencies. It is not the lengh of the CER, it is the competencies you can demonstrate.

  192. Waqas said on October 31, 2009 at 7:49 pm

    Hi Ian,
    i would like to know the font & font size for writing the CDR.Any recommendations regarding the Header,Footer and Paragraph settings?


  193. ianlittle said on November 1, 2009 at 12:13 am

    Waqas – Use font styles you would normally use in a technical report. Something like Arial 10 point. Put the page numbering your name and the cer number in the footer, such as:
    Waqas CER No 1 Page 1 of 5 October 2009
    Put the CEr title in the header.
    Bfeor you send off youur CDR apply the drop test. You should be able to drop your CDR on the floor and have a stranger pick it up and put all the pages back in order. This needs every page of ebery documenet to be numbered and include the document title.

  194. Adeel said on November 12, 2009 at 6:15 am

    Hi brothers, My query is regarding the ” Employer Reference Letter” that I have to provide with my Career episodes related to my Professional projects ( For CDR Assessment )

    Query: Should I ask for a normal “Experience Certificate” from the Ericsson /Warid or the Assessment team requires any specific” Reference letter” /information?.

    Normally the ” Experience Letter” provided by the Employer contains information about the Employee Name, Father’s Name, National ID card number, Status of employement (permanant/contractual), Official Designition and Duration of Employement on the Company’s letter haad.

    Kindly support

    Adeel – You need a specific reference letter for any period you have used for a career episode report. For other experience a reference letter will do.

  195. tintin78 said on November 13, 2009 at 12:00 am

    hi lan,

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    I am a B.Tech electrical engineer and have 5 years experience in the the following Industries

    a) 2 years in Electrical Design in material handling deptt of Automobile Industry.(2004-2006)

    b) 3 years in Electrical design engineering in Material Handling Deptt of Heavy mechinery industry(2006-present)

    I am in a stage to prepare my CDR and I was thinking of the putting one project from Automobile Idustry and 2 projects from Heavy Mechinery Industry.But, I am confused about the documents I need to show in support of the first project.Do i need a project specific reference letter from the employers or in my case just 2 employers reference letters will be needed for my entire 3 career episodes.

    another query is, I was doing my B.Sc in Economics(1998-2000) between my Higher Secondary(1997) and my B.Tech engg (2000-2004), but not completed the course.How should I put this period in CDR? Will it have an negative impact on my CDR?

    thanks once again,


    tintin – The years spent studying economics should be included in your CV which is included in your CDR. It will not have a negative impact.

    If the experienc is in two departments of the same company a single reference is enough provided it addresses the career episode periods.

  196. Microbeck said on November 13, 2009 at 9:05 pm

    Hi there,

    First of all I really want to appreciate the work that you are doing for so many people. I read quite a few entries above and was amazed by your responses. Hope I can also get some good feedback from you.

    I am an Electronics and Communication Engineer by education (B.Tech – ECE Finished 2005). However straight after my B.Tech I got into the IT sector and now I have more than 4 years of IT experience. All 4 years were in SAP technology which is listed in MODL and CSL and last 2.5 years were working in Australia on 457 visa.
    I am almost certain that ACS (Australian Computer Society) won’t access before I have at least 6 years of work experience.
    Second option is Engineers Australia which I am not really sure about if they will recognize my Electronics degree despite me having all my experience in IT and not pursuing my electronics skills by any means. I can still write my CDR with 3 career episodes related to electronics and communication work I did during my engineering. Would that help?
    Will Engineers Australia object on me working in IT but getting myself accessed as an Electronics Engineer.
    OR will it be problem when I apply for my PR as assessment will be for Electronics but I will claim experience points for my IT experience.

    Many thanks for your help and guidance,

    Beck – Engineers Australia only assess your engineering competency based on your CDR. You do not have to demonstrate engineering work experience. All the assessment is about is demonstrating you have the competencies of a graduate engineer from an Australian university. They have no work experience.

    As you note – the problem you will have is you will have no occupation work experience as an engineer to get those points towards a visa.

    Go to the ACS site (links from our FAQ page) and look in detail at their requirements for qualifications. This takes into consideration the subjects you have done during your electronics and communications degree. You may have sufficient computer type subjects to be assessed as equivalent to a computer engineer.

  197. tintin78 said on November 25, 2009 at 12:50 am

    hi Lan,

    thank you very much for your kind support.I am an indian and preparing my CDR which I am going to send from berlin,Germany.If I get my documents certified from India(by a doctor) and send them along with CDR,will it be allright?If not, please let me know where I should go in Berlin for it.

    thanks once again for your time !!!


    See clause 5 of section A of the Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment booklet for a list of the classes of persons authorised to certify documents. Doctors are not on the list! – so that will not work. So find a person, such as a lawyer, on this list. Look for an Australian Embassy or Trade mission in Berlin if you cannot find one of the other classess of people. It is very important to get the certification correct. Follow the rules to the word. Do not make any assumptions. IKL

  198. Emmanuel said on November 30, 2009 at 6:42 am

    Hi Ian!

    I just want to ask if there was a specified format to be used in writing my CPD?

    Thank you!


    Emmanuel – There is no specified format. The only guidance is less than a page. If you go to Engineers Australia web site have a look at the chartered status instructions regarding CPD for some guidance on what to write about. IKL

  199. ianlittle said on December 1, 2009 at 7:48 pm

    Juanito – This is not unusual. The additional information required for areas of experience used in CERs will have to be included in your CV.

  200. tintin78 said on December 2, 2009 at 6:30 am

    Thanks a ton for your response!!!

  201. Adeel khan said on December 12, 2009 at 11:01 am

    Currently I am studying two years Master of Electrical engineering studies(double major) at University of Wollongong NSW Australia. I have completed 4 years Bachelor degree from Pakistan. I have no experience. I have done three months internship while I was doing Bachelor degree in Pakistan. Can I prepare two episode of my CDR using my final years Bachelor degree projects. Can I prepare one episode of my CDR using my Master study in Australia Or Can I prepare one episode of my CDR from my three month internship in pakistan. I appreciate your response.

  202. ianlittle said on December 12, 2009 at 1:57 pm

    Adeel – You can do whatever enables you to demonstrate all the engineering competencies. To work out which is best, do outlines of about 10 single lines (each about an engineering action) for each career episode report topic. Then assess the competencies each report will demonstrate. Next complete the summary report. If you do this before you start writing the details, it will help you work out where you are repeating competencies and where there are competencies missing.

  203. abhishek said on December 13, 2009 at 4:46 am


    I have done engineering in Mechanical from India. But the experience which i have is in Information technology in retail domain of 4 years. I have applied my soft skills which i learnt during college and operations knowledge also. I know my engineering subjects and work dont match but i need help from you in terms of how to show in CDR my co relation between subjects and experience. In IELTS i have scored above 7 in all fields. Also i have 2 years of marketing experience where i managed around 2000 people under me in parallel with my work.
    Kindly let me knw as how to write CDR as i am totally confused as how to present.


  204. ianlittle said on December 13, 2009 at 5:23 am

    Abhishek – Your case highlights a major problem with the Australian immigration assessment system. Capable people with varied experience find it difficult to establish their occupation. I think it would be worthwhile looking at either management or computer technology occupations. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links. In particular go to the Australian Bireau of Statistics (ABS) website to see the detailed occupation descriptions. Don’t forget you need current relevant (in you nominated occupation) work experience to get points toward a general skilled migrant visa.

    Your work experience does not need to match qualification – you need to be able to show in your CERs thst you have the engineering competencies in your nominated occupation. Do a test run. Select three topics and do outlines (ten single line points) for each and assess the competencies each CER will demonstrate. Complete the Summary Statement before you start writing the detail CERs. This will help you make sure you are not demonstrating one competency several times and missing out on others. Remember to look at both the Engineers Australia competencies and the occupation requirements as listed in the Australian Burea of Statistics (ABS) definition for the occupation.

  205. saqib said on December 16, 2009 at 4:04 pm

    i really appreciate your sincere efforts for bringing solutions . i wish to ask you that , do i need to submitt my original documnets or photocopy along with the CDR ? i am applying outside the australia , what would be the fee package for assessment of my skills .
    your prompt response shall be highly appreciated.

  206. ianlittle said on December 16, 2009 at 5:00 pm

    Saqid – Submit certified copies. See part5 of section A of the Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment booklet. Note that every single page has to be signed. The Engineers Australia website has the current application fees.

  207. Juanito said on December 16, 2009 at 7:45 pm

    Hi all,

    I am planning to apply for skills assessment.
    So, my question is related to one of the documents required for my application: Employer Reference letter(s). I am wondering which information should be provided in this kind of letter. In fact, the company where I am working provides a standard letter and I can’t ask to incorporate further information such as description of work duties, etc. It includes only name, ID, date of recruitment, and the title (ENGINEER).

    Your output will be greatly appreciated.

  208. Taoufik said on December 16, 2009 at 7:50 pm

    What is a good ASCO for a VAS/IN engineer ?
    thanks in advance

  209. fahd said on December 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm


    I am a chemical engineer. I got my degree back in early 2006 and after that I worked in a fertilizer industry for exact three year. First of those three years was spent in training while the remaining two I spent as a regular employee of the company. Now I wana ask if I can include that one year training as an experince in my CDR? Because in order to apply for professional engineer you need to have 3 yrs of experience.
    Then I came to norway in August 2009 to do masters from Norwegian university of science and technology, which will be completed in 2011. Does this give me any edge if I apply for immigration? Should I include it my career episode when I write my CDR?
    My IELTS result was 8.0 which I took last year.

    Thanx in advance for your help.

    Fahad Saleem

  210. fahd said on December 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm


    Just one more thing. Can I use my training period as a career episode? I am thinking about the three episodes as being 1) my B.Sc final year design project 2) my first year of professional training 3) 2 yrs of further work…will that work?

    Fahad Saleem

  211. ianlittle said on December 20, 2009 at 7:08 pm

    Fahd- You do not need 3 years experience for skills recognition, all you need is the equivalent of an Australian 4 year degree and be able to write a CDR that demonstrates the professional engineering ciompetencies. All the epeisodes are post graduation so they should be OK, if they demonstrate the required competencies. The masters does not really help, but can be a source for a CER. With such good English you should have no problems.

  212. fahd said on December 23, 2009 at 1:13 am

    thanx ian…i’ll start working on CDR and would ask if i have any problems

  213. Joynal said on December 25, 2009 at 4:13 pm

    Hi Ian thanks for your effort. I am a civil engineer currently working in Dubai (2+ Exp). I would like to know that in CDR booklet EA asked for employer reference letter. In case of academic certificate they have written certified copy however, for employer reference letter they didn’t mentioned certified. My question is that, do I need to send original one or attested copy? Please give me solution. I m stuck for this confusion.
    Thanks i anticipation.

  214. ianlittle said on December 25, 2009 at 5:20 pm

    Joynal – I am not sure. I would think an attested copy would be fine. Any copies must be current, not validated at some time in the past. i would send an email to Engineers Australia to confirm. They have an email address on their website.

  215. Emmanuel said on December 27, 2009 at 12:10 am

    Dear Ian,

    I have read samples of CER’s in the internet in which they claimed they were positively assessed in which diagrams, graphs were included in order for them to expain well their competencies. So, is it also possible to include the same format in my CER since I think the topic I’ve made also need to include those kind of things to explain it well.

    Thank you for your response.

  216. ianlittle said on December 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

    Emmanuel – You can, but I would not recommend including diagrams and graphs. Engineers Australia are interested in the engineering competencies and processes you have used not in the actual results. Your CERs are about what you have thought about and done, not so much how the details of the results. For example you could write: ” I plotted the machine performance test results and observed unexpected variations. I analysed possible causes and concluded there was an error in one of the inputs. This was corrected and the test repeated. This time the performance was within specification.” This demonstrates a number of engineering competencies which you may miss if you included a graph of the results.

  217. Mark said on January 6, 2010 at 11:49 am

    I am currently preparing my CDR for Engineering Manager. I have the necessary competencies, but will struggle with references. All relevant experience is with my current employer, and to obtain a reference, I will need to explain my plans which could put my position in jeopardy. I could ask my client, but again they have links into my company and may leak the plans back. Is it absolutely perative to proide a reference?



  218. ianlittle said on January 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

    Mark – An alternative could be to make statutory declarations signed by a JP. Send Engineers Australia an email to check with them.

  219. johnthegr8 said on January 7, 2010 at 7:21 pm

    Hello Ian,

    I read all of the forums above but it seems none of of those got the same scenario that i faced right now. basically Im a BSElectronics and communication Engineer Grad and i’m been working already for almost 10 yrs but unfortunately non of these work experience fits my Educational attainment except one though, but on this one i just got 1.5 years experience as a Product Engineer in a Semiconductor Manufacturing company. now my questions is:
    1. Can I use my 1.5 yr experience since this one fits my BSECE qualification?
    2. is it possible to write about electronic related project experience during my college days?
    3. is there any way I can write down my past and present work experiences even though is not relevant to my Electronic Engineer qualifications? or is there by any chance that this experiences might be acredited?

    Thank you very much in advance.


  220. ianlittle said on January 7, 2010 at 7:25 pm

    John – Qualifications assessment is based on being able to demonstrate professional engineering competencies, nothing to do with the number of years experience. Having relevant experience just provides more opportunities to demonstrate competencies. You should be able to develop three career episode reports (CERs) from your course work and your 1.5 years as a product engineer. Work experience that is not relevant is, by its very definition, not relevant.

    If yoiiu have no recent relvant work experience this will affect the points for a general skilled migration visa.

  221. Haris said on January 12, 2010 at 12:30 am

    Hi ianlittle,

    I am really glad to see someone helping out people with their PR problems – I have got one as well. I found 2 or 3 posts slightly related to my problem, but to confirm it further I am posting here. I would really appreciate if you can help out.

    I earned BS(Computer Engineering) from overseas, and just finished ME(Computer Science & Engineering) (Usually known as Masters by Research in Computer Science and Engineering). I am planning to assess my undergrad as Electronics Engineer since I have done courses from both electronics/electrical and computer science (it will put my PR application on CSL).

    First, I am wondering whether it is fine to assess it as Electronics Engineer – I can write 3 episodes related to Electronics Engineering in CDR which I did in my undergrad. Second, whether ME(Computer Science and Engineering) will be considered closely related to my nominated skill occupation (which will be Electronics Engineer) as required by DIAC.

    Thanks heaps for your time.


  222. ianlittle said on January 12, 2010 at 9:02 am

    Haris – Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website and have a look at the occupation descriptions (yoiu can follow the limks from our FAQ blog page. The devil is in the detail. It is important that your episodes are related to the hardware, but can included emnedded software development rather than in a pure IT related area such as C++, SAP or similar software. I doubt if your masters studies will count as relevant work experience (for GSM visa points) because it is education rather than working in a job. You need to talk to a registered migration agent to clarify this.

  223. Orion said on January 14, 2010 at 4:09 am

    Hello Ian,
    I have sent a complete CDR to Engineers Australia via registered post at the begining of December. Until now I haven’t recieved a receipt from them, nor was I charged by my credit card. Should I worry that my CDR isn’t attended at all?

  224. ianlittle said on January 14, 2010 at 4:30 am

    Orion – Be patient and wait . It could take a month to reach Engineers Australia. There will also be delays due to the holiday period.

  225. Emmanuel said on January 15, 2010 at 5:34 am

    Hello Ian,

    I’m on the process of making my CV. Based on the migration skills assessment book, CV should not be more than 3 A4 pages but I’ve already exceeded the limit pages and if I’m going to follow the allowed number of page, I’m afraid that some of the important items and contents of my personal details will not be included. Is it ok if I exceeded more than 3 pages? Thanks.


  226. ianlittle said on January 15, 2010 at 6:43 am

    Emmanuel – Sorry for missing your query – 4 pages maximum if you have more than 10 years work experience. You must be able to pick out what is really important for the job you are applying for. It is an important skill to be able to express yourself concisely. Throw out the less important parts and emphasize your important attributes. Keep it to 3 pages. Anything longer will be thrown out without being read.

  227. Fransiscus Herry said on January 15, 2010 at 9:10 pm

    Dear Ianlittle,

    When you said that no recent relevant work experience will affect the points for a general skill migration visa, are you saying that although i get a positive result as Mechanical Engineer from Australia Engineers, i could not claim the 60 points because i do not a relevant expereince as a mechanical engineer?

    Or you are referring to the additional 10 points toward recent relevant work expereince.

    would you please to explain this to me. Thank you.

  228. ianlittle said on January 15, 2010 at 11:33 pm

    Franciscus – Sorry for the late responnse. Somehow your comment got lost.
    I meant the 10 additional points for recent relevant work experiemce. Your 60 points are fine.

  229. stephen coaker said on January 22, 2010 at 2:13 am


    I have a b-tech national diploma in engineering and have 13 years working in the engineering field. Just confused if you I need to apply for a professional visa or a do I need to carry out a CER?


  230. ianlittle said on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 am

    Stephen – The first step in obtaining a visa is to have your qualifications assessed by the relevant Australian authority. For engineering this is Engineers Australia. Get yourself a copy of their Migration Skills Assessment handbook. You may qualify under the Sydney Accord and not need to do a CDR. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to get all the information you need.

  231. Shailendra said on January 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm


    I have done BE(Electronics) and also applied for Migration skills assessment for Australia. I am asked to send CPD to Engineers Australia. But I do not have any idea about Continuing Professional Development(CPD), can you please provide me a sample document, so that I can write my own details to prepare a well-mannered CPD to be send to EA. I have also scored 6.5 Bands in IELTS Exams.

    Thank you.

  232. ianlittle said on January 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

    Shailendra – Go to the Engineers Australia website and look at the requirements for CPD for Chartered Engineers. This gives a wider description of the sorts of activities taht are included in continueing professional development. It also provide a tabule format. This is not as daunting as it seems. It only requires you to note down in less than a page, any courses, self learning (such as reading technical articles and standards) conferences and attendance at professional body meeting you have attended since graduating. Concentrate on events of the last three years unless there is some major events such as a post graduate degree such as a masters.

  233. Emmanuel said on February 2, 2010 at 4:12 am

    Hi Ianne. I’m currently on the process of doing my CER. Is it possible that the sub elements of a competency element were not just included on a single paragraph? For example, the competency element PE 1.1 have 4 sub elements. It is possible that 1st sub element was found on the first paragraph, 2nd sub element can be found on the 3rd paragraph, 3rd sub element was written on the 5th paragraph while the 4th sub elements was included on the 2nd paragraph. Thank you!

  234. ianlittle said on February 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

    Emmanuel – It is highly likely that the elements will be distributed across mor than one paragraph. You are not required to address all sub-elements. In writing you should try and gather the parts together. This a communications skill the assessors will be looking for.

  235. Shaheen said on February 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm

    Hi ianlittle.

    I am an instrumentation and control engineer and been working on DCS and PLC’s for three years. Since Instrumentation is not listed under the SOL can you tell me under which category can I apply.

  236. ianlittle said on February 3, 2010 at 4:53 pm

    Shaheen – It will depend on your qualifications, but you will fit under electronics engineer, but you could also fit under electrical if you qualification is electrical engineer.

  237. salman said on February 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm


    I would be 40 in June 2010. If I apply for the immigration before June 2010, would I be awarded 20 points or 15 points.


  238. ianlittle said on February 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm

    Salman – If you apply before June 2010, you will be 39, therefore eligible for the points of a 39 year old.

  239. Julián Carrera said on February 22, 2010 at 1:26 am

    Hi Ian,
    I´ve started writting the 3 episodes in my CDR.
    I´m appliying to the Engineer Manager category.
    I´ve seen 8 different “elements of competency” in the Skills Assessment booklet, with as many as 9 bullet points after each one.
    The booklet mentions the need to have all competency elements assessed within the 3 episodes.
    Does that mean I need to assess all the “bullet points” or is it enough to identify each one of the 8 “elements of competency”?
    Thanks a lot for your help,

  240. ianlittle said on February 22, 2010 at 3:22 am

    Julian – The instructions state specifically that you should not try and address every sub-element (bullet point). But you need to address each element in enough detail to be able to reasonably claim it. The number of sub elements you need to cover will depend on how well you cover the particular individual sub elements. I suggest you will need to cover at least half in reasonable detail. It is really a normal exam approach. Look for better than an average 50% coverage.

  241. Rehmat said on March 2, 2010 at 5:07 am

    Dear Ian

    I had applied for the qualification assessment of Electrical Engineer to Engineers Australia about 3 and half months before now I received a response that my qualifcation degree which is named as “Electrial Engineer” doesnot support for the assessment of Electrical Engineer however it supports for electronics engineer or instrumentation engineer ASCO 2129-79. My two career episodes would meet the requirement of instrument engineer while in one there is a slight defficiency of engineering activities. Now I am asked that if you wish to proceed with as instrument engineer prepare one career episode clearly relating the instrumentation engineering activities or prepare 3 new episodes for electronics engineer.
    Now I am confused because Instrument Engineer is not yet on MODL. Though it is really ridiculous that there are a lot of vacancies announced as instrument engineer or electircal & instrument or I&C engineer in their industry but asco and engineers australia are not aware of these disciplines. It shows a quite big gap between industry and engineers australia and Asco. I have my previous experience on embedded systems and control but this not reflected on resume, can I prepare that stuff which is not available on my resume but on my one experience certificate embedded system & control is mentioned .I am working control systems like DCS and PLCs also could it be related with electronics engineer. Plz guide me how to proceed further.

    I would like to thank you for your help during my cdr preparation previously though my comments are not available on this blog now.

    Kind Regards,

  242. ianlittle said on March 2, 2010 at 5:28 pm

    Rehmat – Read and accept the rules. There is no point in fighting them. Instrument and mechatronics engineers are covered within the definition of electronics engineers. Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) site and read the ASCO definitions (follow the links from aur FAQ blog page). Electronics engineers are on the MODL, so as an instrument engineer you are included. Study and follow the Australian rules. If you are not prepared to adapt to Australian ways do not bother proceeding with a visa application as you will spend all your energy fighting “ridiculous” rules. What your are showing is intolerance. Engineers Australia are trying to help you and you are ridiculing them. Read the definitions and try to understand them.
    Rewrite your resume to include experience relevant to the Australian definition for an instrument engineer.
    Australia is different, you must adapt to succeed.

  243. Ahmed said on March 4, 2010 at 7:37 am


    I ‘ve written much just to make it clear and to deliver a view of the exact situation.
    As Engineers, our main task or responsibility is to design.
    I am a Mechatronics Engineer, I consider my self as a Mechatronic system designer since I’ve studied all the necessary courses to become a designer, at university and by self studying. To be a designer was the main reason that I decided to study Engineering.
    After facing the practical life in our countries, I mean in Egypt; my country and currently working and living in Turkey, I found that there is no Design opportunities in these countries and what have been available to me since I graduated were maintenance and service jobs.
    For example, I worked for BMW and other Multinational companies, in Egypt the BMW’s factory doesn’t design cars it only assembles, but the R & D department is in Germany. (I worked as a Workshop Team Leader in the service center)
    As a result I couldn’t find any design jobs either in Egypt or in Turkey.
    Would this affect my assessment process or the perspective from which Engineers Australia will be looking at me from?

    Thanks in advance.
    And special thanks for your efforts to help people achieve thier aims.

    Best Regards


  244. ianlittle said on March 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

    Ahmed – Apologies for the slow response. In a maintenance area people often have complex problem solving and tasks requiring engineering decisions to make modifications to fix design problems. These are very good things to write about ib CERs. Remember, it is not about your job, it is about demonstrating your engineering competencies.

  245. Hamid Rezvani said on March 6, 2010 at 1:52 am

    I’m a mechanical engineer with MSc degree from Iran and have near to 10 years work experiences as a designer and project manager. I have prepared three carrier episodes for assessment. They are nearly long each of them has 2000 words and my summary is in six pages. My experiences are so technical and I have to explain them in detail to describe my main duties. Is 6-page summary statement true or false?
    In addition, my IELTS is in academic module and it will be expired in three months later. Does it produce any problem for me?
    Thanks for your kindness and useful information.
    I am so grateful if you answer to my questions.

  246. ianlittle said on March 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm

    Hamid – You must keep within the word limits. The summary statement should be 2 pages maximum. Preparing CERs is not a technical test. Do not provide technical detail. Look at each sentence. If it does not show how you have used an engineering competency cross it out. The CERs must read…I did this, I did that, I analysed, I designed, I used an engineering competency.

    An academic IELTS is not a problem. It is a higher leveel than the standard test. You will have to get your application in before your IELTS expires, or you will need to do another test.

  247. Hamid said on March 6, 2010 at 9:26 pm

    I’m happy considering information you stated for IELTS expire date.
    Regarding summary statement, I have seen summary with three pages. I accept writing briefly is better but sometimes is so hard. I have to omit some of unessential statements.
    What’s your opinion about 2000 words for my career episodes?
    Is it possible to have a sample check for our CDRS before dispatching?

  248. ianlittle said on March 7, 2010 at 10:16 am

    Hamid – A 2000 word report will be throwm out. STICK TO THE WORD LIMIT. Check through your three CER report and do a brief summary. Delete as many repeats of competencies as yoiu can. Try to cover each competemcy.

  249. Hamid said on March 8, 2010 at 12:27 am

    But 2000 words is in accodance to word limit. But I agree with you I have to write briefly. Each carrer episide is relevant to 3 to 4 years projects and accept that wirting my duties as a project manager and designer briefly is so hard . I have explained my detailed tasks as a designer an project manajer and have omitted lots of daily tasks.

  250. ianlittle said on March 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm

    Hamid – A CER is not about writng about the tasks you do. You mast write about you demomstrate the engineering competencies. You will do many things on a job which are not relevant to the professional engineering competencies.

  251. ianlittle said on March 8, 2010 at 6:59 pm

    Ahmed – Absolutely. You need three separate tale to tell.

  252. Samih said on March 11, 2010 at 4:39 am

    I’ve graduated from Aerospace Engineering dprt. I am working as Mechanical Engineer, under the title: After Sales Coordinator for Commerical Automotive. Is it acceptable to write my CDR from both feilds? (ex. from my undergraduate’s projects + current experience)?

  253. ianlittle said on March 11, 2010 at 9:38 am

    Samih – No. As you are not working in the field you have qualified as you will have great difficulty in getting a positive qualifications assessment. You will also struggle to get a job in the aerospace field as you will not meet security requirements.

  254. Pratik said on March 13, 2010 at 3:25 am

    I am reading almost all your post relating to your advice for migrant. And really we all migrants are thankful for your kind efforts.
    Can you please suggest for
    1. Is it possible to secure a job before lending to Australia as a skilled migrant?
    2.Ian, I am working as Planner in KSA since last 1 year and having a total 5 years experience in Well reputed Petrochemicals Company. Can you please suggest me ways for minimizing my transition time for getting a job in Australia?
    Really appreciate your advice!


  255. ianlittle said on March 13, 2010 at 4:23 am

    Pratik – It is not easy to get a job before you arrive in Austaralia. In Project Australia I provide a ragnge of avenues for doing this. use yoour industry contacts. As you work in a global industry you should know people and companies with Australian links.

  256. Dhinesh said on March 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm

    I m a Civil Engineer working in Gulf (Dubai&Muscat) for the past 6+ years. I came to know that CDR (Competency Demonstration Report) to be submitted first for migration purpose. Please let me know some more details.

  257. ianlittle said on March 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm

    Dhinesh – Go to our FAQ blog page and follow the links

  258. Ahmed said on March 18, 2010 at 5:05 am

    Hello Ianlittle,

    I would like to thank you very much for your reply.
    Here I have one more question; Is it possible that I write the Career Episodes in the form of narratives (story), instead of writing ‘I did I did’ just to have a more interesting form?
    Is it possible that I narrate about some breakdowns in machines and how I could solve them ?

    Thanks in advance


  259. Ahmed said on March 18, 2010 at 5:28 am

    According to some of the answers you’ve written above, I feel that if I wrote about my job too and my responsiblilites which were mainly in troubleshooting and maintenance, I would be accredited as an Engineering Technologist not a professional engineer.
    Because the description of an electronics engineer’s occupation is dedicated in design which I haven’t find a job in, as I explained to your before, so what do you see?

    Thanks are really not enough to thank you.


  260. ianlittle said on March 18, 2010 at 6:25 am

    Ahmed – Write in a narrative style. Follow the Engineers Australia guidelines. It does not have to be a best seller. Your CDR has to show your competencies. Breakdowns and problem solving are good sources for career episodes. make sure you deal with developing engineering solutions. Tradesmen and technicians fix breakdowns. Engineers analyse the reason for failures and make modifications so they do not recur.

    You have a correct understanding. In your maintenance you may have used your engineering competencies. You do not have to be a design engineer to use a professional engineer’s occupation technical skills

    Yes. It sounds a good plan for your career episodes..

  261. fahd said on March 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm

    hi ian,

    U r doing a real gud work.keep it up:)

    I am a chemical engineer and I have work experience of 3 yrs. But I left my job in august last year and came to norway for masters’ degree. I read the immigration rules and it states that in order to be eligible for immigration my work experience shd nt b mor than 12 months prior to the launching of my application.
    Rigth now I am writing my CDR and I think I ll be able to dispatch it to engineers australia in a month’s time. The other documents are no problem as I already have gud IELTS score (8.0) and assembling the stuff wont take that long. But the problem is that engineers australia may take around 4 months to respond and by that time I may not be able to meet the requirement of my experience (not being more than 12 months old), means even if I get my degree recognised by engineers australia I may not be able to apply for immigration. Did I read the script right? If yes is there anything you can suggest for me?

    I ll really appreciate it.


    fahd saleem

  262. ianlittle said on March 19, 2010 at 8:54 pm

    Fahd – Act like a professional engineer and do not use text language in dealing in professional matters. Your understanding seems correct. You have fallen into a common trap where by doing study you have lowered your chances of being eligible for immigration. Look for employer sponsorship.

  263. Gene said on March 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm

    Hi… i already sent my application to Engineers Australia last December and I received an email just the other day saying that there has been a shortcoming in my documents. An attachment in the mail indicated that i lacked a COVER PAGE that should contain the declaration found in page14 of the manual.

    i would like to ask if there is a standard form for this and what should comprise the page. because i already drafted a cover page and i am quite unsure if it will be enough.

    Secondly, is a plain declaration page not enough? because i already sent it with all the documents and they still wanted another with the cover page…

    Thank you,

  264. ianlittle said on March 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm

    Gene – I understand your confusion. Email Engineers Australia I would agree one declaration is enough. Maybe it is basically a table of contents listing all the documents in the CDR.

  265. Ahmed said on March 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm

    Hi Ian,

    What is the way to find an employer sponsorship?
    Is there a certain website for that, actually I don’t know the way.
    Please advise.

    Your reply is much appreciated.


  266. ianlittle said on March 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm

    Ahmed – Find some one to employ you. Buy Project Australia and you will obtain many possibilities.

  267. fahd said on March 22, 2010 at 7:40 pm

    hi again,

    Please refer to my earlier question. Can tell me if I shall be eligible to apply for immigration right after the completion of my masters degree or will I have to wait further? My degree is going to be completed in July next year. And also what if I take my chances now, like if I send my CDR in the 1st week of april and hope that they can approve it till july and I can apply for immigration by the end of July. Does that sound realistic?

    Thanks for your help and your advice.

    Fahad Saleem

  268. ianlittle said on March 23, 2010 at 4:50 am

    Fahd – There seems no reason to wait.

  269. Ahmed said on March 23, 2010 at 5:22 am

    Hi Ian,

    I’m afraid I’ve been asking many questions, but you know that the documents, are really confusing and most of the people ask about common things, where it wasn’t realy well explained in the booklets.

    My question is concerned with two items in the check listes:

    1.Certified evidence of registration under the relevant
    licensing authority in the country in which you are
    practising [if necessary]

    Do I need to submit any document for this item? it is stated that [if necessary], so what do you see?

    2. Employer reference letter(s) [must be provided if you
    have relevant work experience of 12 months or more,
    or if the work experience provides a basis of a career

    Is it required to provide a certified copy or the orginal employer ref. letter?

    Thank very much


  270. ianlittle said on March 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm

    Ahmed – If you have a license to practice in the country you are working in at the moment (as in countries like the USA and Canada) you must provide a copy of that license. If you do not need one, just put a note saying there is no license required in the country you are working in.
    Provide a certified copy of the original employer letter.

  271. Edward said on March 25, 2010 at 12:08 pm

    Hi.I am Edward. I graduated as Computer engr. but I am currently working in subcon company which is testing house (wafer sorting). I am product engineer for almost 4 years. Is there a possibilty for me to apply as engineer in Australia? I am now 29 years old. Thanks.

  272. ianlittle said on March 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm

    Edward – This should be possible as an electronics engineer. Buy Project Australia and get all the details you need to plan a sucessful migration.

  273. Samih said on April 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

    I wonder about the skll under which my qualification shall be assessed.
    I graduated from Aerospace Engineering, however, I am working as After Sales specilaist in a commercial vehicles manufacturing company. I am hired to undergo mechanical engineer’s tasks in the workshop and in managing dealers and authorized workshops.
    Recently I was promoted to the position: After Sales Manager. I am responsible from domestic market as well as Middle easter and African countries.
    I have sound expereince but I can not find my skill under mechanical engineers’ assessment scheme.
    Another question is; I have 3-year expereince, am I allowed to use my graduation project as one of the CDR’s essays?
    Thank you for the time and efforts.

  274. ianlittle said on April 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

    Samih – You have managed to put yourself into a very difficult situation. Ideally your qualifications, work experience and chosen occupation should align for the best chance of success. I think you would be better looking at a management occupation. Go to our FAQ page and follow the links to Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) and the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) websites. For some occupations the ABS site provides more information. You may be in the Bill Gates category – great experience, but unable to fit into an Australian occupation definition.

  275. Ahmed said on April 5, 2010 at 8:16 pm

    Hi ian,

    To fullfill the each competency elemet it would be impossible to stick with the word limit requirement, the elements by themselves are more than the word limit, what do you see?

    Thanks a lot


  276. ianlittle said on April 6, 2010 at 4:23 am

    Ahmed – An important part of the competency assessment is to be able to write in a concise manner. It is essential to keep within the word limits.
    The example demonstrates the writing style. It is direct and active. “I calculated the stresses in the building frame. The deflections exceeded the limits allowed in the codes so I increased the main member sizes.’ This sentence demonstrates the competencies of using calculations, assessing results, use of codes and improving an existing design. Four competencies in one sentence. The hardest part is thinking basics. It is about demonstrating engineering competencies at a graduate level, not brain surgery.

  277. Ahmed said on April 15, 2010 at 12:15 am

    This is only to Thank Thank you very much for taking the time, reading, thinking to give an answer to every body.

    Your answers were very useful for me while writing my CDR, I hope it will succeed.

    You will receive the price of that support in your life in the form of easiness, progress, and success.

    Thanks alot


  278. Andro said on April 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

    Hi ian,
    Is employer reference letter different from certificate of employment? i think its a bit difficult to get a letter from previous employer especially if its 3 years ago. beside i have known some friend that submitted certificate of employment instead of reference letter for assessment.

    Thanks a lot

  279. ianlittle said on April 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

    Andro – A certificate of employment will only say that you have been employed by a company between specified dates for the occupation they nominated. This may come from the human resources department. A reference letter will have more detail and include comment on the type of work you have doing. This will come from (or be prepared by) an engineering manager.

  280. martin said on April 20, 2010 at 7:54 pm

    Sir, Is it mandatory to prepare a CPD along with assessment application?

  281. ianlittle said on April 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm

    Martin – Yes your CPD is part of your assessment.

  282. cenmak said on April 25, 2010 at 12:36 am

    I m a Civil Engineer graduate (10+ yrs experience) and I’ve scored overall band of 6 in IELTS (L-6, R-6, W-5 & S-6). I would like to know, whether I am eligible to apply for migration? please let me know..

  283. ianlittle said on April 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm

    Cenmak – You will fail accreditation as an engineer. You need to score 6 or more in each category of the IELTS test. You will also struggle to get a job with such poor English.

  284. stella said on April 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

    I intend to migrate to Australia on a 476 visa based on my masters qualification in Chemical Engineering obtained from a recognised University.My undergraduate qualification in the same field is from a non-recognised university and I have 2 years experience not related to my field of study.I intend to do a Professional year once in Australia.If I later want to apply for PR can I use the experience I will acquire from the professional year combined with my research work done during my masters to do a CDR.Please advise.

  285. umair said on May 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

    i am a chemical engineer from pakistan and meet all the requirements of ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA including IELTS.
    but i am having difficulty in writing the 3 cdrs i was searching on internet and found a website
    they are offering a complete sample of all the 3 cdrs and summary writing in 70 UK Pounds.
    i need your advice shall i buy it or not.

  286. ianlittle said on May 5, 2010 at 10:41 am

    Umair – The fist page of your CDR includes a declaration that the CDR is all your own work. Engineers Australia assessors are trained to spot applications which are copied. There are many people to choose from so why risk your chances.

  287. Muhammad Owais said on May 13, 2010 at 8:52 pm

    Hi guys,
    My name is Owais and i am Mechanical Enginner from Pakistan. I am applying for Skill Assessment but i m confused taking my CPD. I can’t understanding how to start and what would be the format. Is any one who help me in viewing of CPD format.

  288. ianlittle said on May 13, 2010 at 11:30 pm

    Muhammad – All you need to do is write a list of the various CPD activities you have undertaken over the last three years. Put them in chronological order with a brief description. You could do this in a table. If you go to the Engineers Australia website, you can see an example for applicants for chartered engineer. This is a bit more complicated, but shows a way of setting CPD out. You can just do this:
    . Jan 2008 attended concrete structures workshop – 1 day
    . Jul 2008 attended Engineers Pakistan meeting
    . Aug 2008 Read new standard on steel structures……………etc.

  289. Madhav said on May 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

    Hi. I m an Mechanical engineer. I want to apply for my asssesment for CDR. Now i have total 4 years of experience, but the total exp is in Sales & marketing. now can I submit the all 3 CDR of my acedemic.

  290. Madhav said on May 14, 2010 at 1:36 am

    Dear sir,
    one more thing, my score of IELTS is Writing-6, Reading-6.5, Speaking-7 & Listening-7.5.

    Now i want to know by this can i get the positive assesment.

  291. ianlittle said on May 14, 2010 at 4:19 am

    Madhav – The minimum requirement is an IELTS score of 6 or more in every element. You can tick that box. BUT – you will struggle to get a job as you need to improve your reading and writing. Poor English is the biggest barrier to getting a job. In theory you do not need any work experience to demonstrate you have competencies equivalent to an Australian graduate. In practice this may not be easy. Without experience it will be hard to get a job as employers will give preference to experienced engineers.

  292. Madhav said on May 14, 2010 at 11:08 pm

    Dear Sir,
    thank you very much for your reply.
    But sir my concern is to get positive assesment from Engineers Australia. Now can I prepare whole 3 CDR of acedemic. will they accept it ?

    Sir, I also would like to explain you abount my profile. I m working in Marketing division, but it is Technical Marketing and not purely sales. I m giving techincal as well as commercial support to front end Sales team.

    Hence such experience can consider, if i get positive assessment and logged a file ?

    Thank you very much..
    Best Regards,

  293. ianlittle said on May 15, 2010 at 8:21 am

    Madhav – Yes Engineers Australia will accept 3 career episode reports (CERs)based on your undergraduate experience provided they cover all the professional engineering competencies. Provide the technical content of your sales work entails real professional skills this will be OK for a CER. You do not have to be a design engineer to use analytical and assessment skills

  294. Ahsan said on May 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm


    I have done telecommunications engineering from unviersity of western sydney. I have already received my assessment as a professional engineer (nec). I would like to have my assesmessent as an Electrical engineer as I have worked as an Electrical Engineer for 1 year after graduation. Please advise what should I write in my CDR.


  295. ianlittle said on May 17, 2010 at 8:04 am

    Ahsan – This is a waste of time. There is no law requiring you to work in the occupation which you have applied for a visa application. Many people cannot get jobs in their nominated occupation. There is not a significant difference between electrical and telecomms engineer anyway. The only reason to apply again would be if the telecomms engineer occupation is not in the new SOl. It looks like all engineering occupations will be retained in the new SOL. Wait untill you see the new rules.

  296. Madhav said on May 18, 2010 at 4:52 am

    If I will add 1 CDR, from my current job profile, then will they cross-check with my employer ?

    Becoz I don’t want to tell anybody in my company, untill i will be through with the positive assessment.

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    It really help me to understand the rules in the most efficient way.

  297. ianlittle said on May 18, 2010 at 5:22 am

    Madhav – You need each CER to be validated by your employer or a supervising engineer.

  298. kostas said on May 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

    I’d like to ask if the introduction has to be written in bullets or in narrative style. A second question is whether the backround could refer to competencies of the sumary statement. Thanks a lot

  299. ianlittle said on May 18, 2010 at 6:30 pm

    Kostas – Bullet points are fine and easy to read. it really will be a combination of narrative with bullets. the background should not include competencies. It is just background. A bit about the circumstances of the CER and the particular experiences of the CER.

  300. kostas said on May 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm

    And one more clarification. Somewhere above you mentioned that all the CDR should consists of 10 paragraphs or just the main body?

  301. ianlittle said on May 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm

    Kostas – Just the main body

  302. Oxbose said on May 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm

    I wonder if you could help. I have been wishiting to apply for Australia for such a long time now, I think I have disappeared up my own back side! I have been waiting for my ocupation to come in, but even now with the new list I’m still not sure what to do. Any help will be grately appreciated.
    I have BSc (Hons.) Computing Systems Analysis & Design in 1999. I worked as a Systems Analyst for 3 years. Had a break then started with a manufatuer of DWDM and Ethernet Telecoms equipment in the UK. I worked as a Service desk Engineer supporting EMEA for 1.5 years. I was then promoted to Technical Services Engineer – which includes creating and giving training, field installs, tech support, customer trials etc. I have been doing this now for 2.5 years. My questions are…
    Do I have a chance to apply?
    If so, what occupation could I apply for, as I am a Technical Services Engineer – meaning that I provide Services to those that buy / are about to buy our equipment|
    What body would assess this?

    Many thanks Ox

  303. ianlittle said on May 20, 2010 at 8:23 pm

    Ox – Come off it, you are not really an engineer even if that is your job title. You are an IT professional. Your occupation will be assessed by the Australian Computer Society. I do not like your chances as you do not seem to meet the relevant .work experience requirement. You only have 3 years in the IT profession.

  304. kostas said on May 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm

    Should we match our occupation to ANZSCO or ASCO list?
    And as regards the reference letter of the employer verifying a certain job experience, should it be certified by an authority?
    I’m interested in being competent for Professional Engineers. Thanks a lot in advance…

  305. ianlittle said on May 21, 2010 at 3:58 am

    Kostas – As the new SOL is based on ANZSCO I would think that applications in future will be to ANZSCO. We must wait and see what is announced when general skilled migrations applications are re-opened. Talk to a migration agent. The Migration Skills Assessment booklet does not say the reference letter must be certified, but 12 months or more periods of relevant experience in your CV must be certified. All copies of original documents must be certified.

  306. rex said on May 21, 2010 at 4:54 am

    Dear Ian,
    DIAC already announced the new SOL. My question is whether they are planning to review the point test?

  307. ianlittle said on May 21, 2010 at 5:45 am

    Rex – Yes, and other things as well. What this will be is unknown. The changes are expected to be announced in July.

  308. kostas said on May 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm

    “…but 12 months or more periods of relevant experience in your CV must be” , what must be? Certified? You just said that booklet doesnt say so…
    And an other question :If an experience was gained by a professional individual work is this a problem?

  309. ianlittle said on May 22, 2010 at 4:59 am

    Kostas – Yes “certified” You do not need to get reference letters certified. You do need to get parts of you CV certified where you have more than 12 months relevat experience to your nominated occupation. I do not understand your other question.

  310. kostas said on May 22, 2010 at 9:57 pm

    As regards the other question i clarify: If a client-private individual asked from me to make designs and to supervise the construction of a building, then i should have a reference letter from him? (which means that i wasn’t employed by a company or organization)

  311. ianlittle said on May 23, 2010 at 3:44 am

    Kostas – Yes even though you are working as a contractor, your client is effectively employing you.

  312. Nadeem Raja said on May 24, 2010 at 3:52 am

    Dear Maddam,
    I want to know that how can we calculate our points from the Immigration website, also is it compulsory for evey one to get and IELTS of 7 bands if applying for immigration. As i have done Masters of Engineering ( Mechancial ) from Australia and presently for last 4 years i have been working in my home country Pakistan. Is there any type of relaxation in the IELTS for people like me.


  313. ianlittle said on May 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

    Nadeem – No. If your English is no good you won’t get a job.

  314. Nadeem Raja said on May 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm

    Dear ianlittle,

    Thanks for the Informatioan. actually i want to know if i get over all 6.5 IELTS score. then will this be enough for launching the immigration.


    Nadeem – Unless you are looking at accounting an IELTS of over 6 is enough do start launching an application.

  315. Yashar said on May 29, 2010 at 11:24 pm

    Hey. I am Electrical engineer and I’ve got my M.S. degree in power system.
    But I worked for Nestle Water Company for 5 years as technical manager, then my career is electronic machinery especially bottle manufacturing machines. Also I worked with filling line in mineral water factory. In last 2 years I changed my job and I am working in a contractor company as project manager. Our projects are foundation, tower building and wiring of power transmission lines. I have experience in a complete 400 kV line structure. My question is: for writing CDR which field is better? As I mentioned my university degree is about high voltage electrical systems. But I prefer to work in a factory as I was for 5 years that need to know electronic, pneumatic and hydraulic systems. Could you please give me some Information about the cities of Australia in job opportunity aspect? And about 3 episodes? Thank you in advance. Yashar from Iran:

  316. ianlittle said on May 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

    Yashar – Apply for migration as a power electrical engineer so that your qualifications, work experience and occupation for visa purposes are all consistent. After you have arrived in Australia you can do any sort of work you can get a job at. It will be best for you to write CDRs directly related to the occupation you select for migration purposes. There will be more opportunities in manufacturing in Victoria, but there is probaly more power line work in Queensland or Western Australia.

  317. kostas said on June 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm


    I’d like to ask you how a certified copy of identity card should be done.
    My identity card is in greek-english language, so do i only have to make a photocopy of it and just certify it in an authorised organization in Greece, even the certification stamp is in greek?
    I’m interested in being qualified by Engineers of Australia. Thanks a lot.

  318. ianlittle said on June 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

    Kostas – Email Engineers Australia with a copy of you identity card and ask them. There is an email address on their website. It sound like it would be OK to me as the essential details will be in English. If not a dual language card would be a waste of time.

  319. Harinder Singh said on June 5, 2010 at 1:27 am

    I am Indian qualified Electrical Engineer from Govt. Engineering college, Bathinda (Punjab) pass out 1995. After that I remain in service. At this stage is it possible for me to perpair CDR ?
    If possible can some one guide me.

  320. ianlittle said on June 5, 2010 at 8:49 am

    Harinder – You should be able to write three CERs from you current experience. Read through all the comments on this web site and you will receive a large amount of useful information.

  321. Apoorva said on June 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm


    I have a few questions to ask regarding the summary statement for engineers australia.
    Is it required to provided detailed explanation of the narratives or could i simplify the same while making a statement.
    i have written 3 episodes and i have letters of reference only for two episodes. i hope this is okay

  322. ianlittle said on June 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm

    Apoorva – A summary is just that – it has short sentences which summarise one or two paragraphs in a career episode report for each competency. The summary statement is a high level outline which shows the examiners where to find the example with all the detail in it. You must get a reference letter for the third CER. If this is not possible you will need to get a notary public or similar authorised person (as listed in the Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment booklet)

  323. ianlittle said on June 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

    Valen -talk to a licensed migration agent. There are some interim provisions which may cover your case during this period. You can get more information form the DIAC website.

  324. Apoorva said on June 16, 2010 at 5:27 pm

    Hello Ian,

    This is a question regarding the employer reference letter for each of the career episodes.

    Currently i have based my first two career episodes based on the work done at my first job. i have a combined reference letter for the entire work stint completed at the first job.le

    For career episode 3 . since i wouldnt want to get a employer reference letter. as suggested by you. i require a public notary to do the same.

    I understand that the further plan of action by me would be,
    1)For career episode 3, i should get my appontment letter, promotion letter, training certificates certified by a notary. is this sufficient .
    2)In case a notary certifies my work. should i write a summary of work done by me and this will be certified by the notary.

    Iam slightly confused please help me out.

    also iam a finite element analysis engineer and as per engineers australia’s documentation. my area of work matches the profile of an engineering technologist. could you also give me a lead regardiing the opportunities for finite element simulation engineers specialising in product design

  325. ianlittle said on June 16, 2010 at 8:41 pm

    Apoorva – Your plan is good. Do both parts. Although you nay be classified as an engineering technologist you should be able to get an engineering job in this specialist area.

  326. Amrita said on June 21, 2010 at 11:28 am


    I am an instrumentation eng from India- mumbai. Since instrumentation is not on the SOL i need to get my degree assessed as an Elctronic eng (thts the closest related I could find). Is it possible to apply for assesment sisce I have qualified as Instrumentation eng My progects are also mostly automation related which i im going to try and relate to Electronics. Would knowledge in PLC help in the electronic assesment?

  327. ianlittle said on June 22, 2010 at 3:36 pm

    Amrita – Yes and yes. You are on the right track.

  328. Apoorva said on July 13, 2010 at 4:24 am

    Hello Ian,

    I have a query regarding the ASCO code for my profession.

    Iam a finite element analyst who has specialised in the area of occupant safety/seating system finite element simulations. Normally, We are called CAE engineers ( computer aided engineers) in India, Europe and the USA.

    Could you please guide me on what code i should be writing when i submit my covering letter to EA and also in case no such code exists. how should i go about the next step?

  329. ianlittle said on July 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

    Apoorva – You need to relate your ANZSCO occupation to your degree title, if that is possible. You may find a closer occupation in the ANZSCO classification, The next step is to think about what you are analysing. If it is mechanical design, determining stresses, I think you are nearest to a mechanical engineer. Apply as whatever you think is closest. Engineers Australia will decide what you are closest to

  330. Usman Akram said on July 24, 2010 at 2:51 am

    Dear Ian,

    How are you?. I have a question that is in fact not related to the title. I am willing to apply for membership, for that I have contacted Engineers Australia. They told me to send a photo copy of assessment letter along with the approved CV. The later is confusing for me as I am not getting the exact format required by the institute. Secondly I don’t find any one in my area who is member from Engineers Australia. The only option is court, for that how I can attain declaration statement in which statement, either along with the CV statement or not. Can you please guide me with the format required by Engineers australia as you are also her member.

    Stay blessed.

  331. ianlittle said on July 25, 2010 at 8:36 am

    Usman – In Project Australia there is the preferred format for a CV in the style Engineers Australia will expect. You need a legal person who is authorised to witness legal documents, sucha as a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner fo Taking Affidavits. Another alternative is the Australian Embassy.

Leave a comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Australia — Anecdotes. Answers. Advice. Get a free update in your inbox.

* denotes a required field
First Name:
Last name:
* Email Address:

Privacy protection promise — your details are 100% safe and secure.

Our books

G'day Boss

G'day Boss!
Australian Culture and the Workplace

Land That Job

Land That Job:
The Fast-Track to Job Success

Networking In Australia

Start Smart:
Networking In Australia

Engaging Recruiters in Australia

Start Smart:
Engaging Recruiters in Australia